Author Topic: Questionaire Lockup  (Read 306 times)

Offline HawgHawk

• Zinc Member
Questionaire Lockup
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
Hey everyone,

Just downloaded and installed Aces High.  Have been reading up and playing offline.  I have stick and other settings working well offline and just created an account for online play.  Went through the registration process well enough, and upon logging into an arena ... a questionaire pops up asking about how I came across Aces High.  At that point the mouse cursor freezes with no movement.  Alt tab works to bring up other running apps, but when selected they won't come to the front as they will when playing offline.  No choice but to hard reboot.

Any suggestions?

Offline halb

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.spitfirefilms.com
Questionaire Lockup
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:50:28 AM »
I have the same problem.
over and out,
halb

Offline Optiker

• Zinc Member
Questionaire Lockup
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:53 AM »
Hmm! In game, the H key will change mouse function from pointer to controller - try pressing H and see if that does it.

Regards,
Optiker

Offline halb

• Zinc Member
Re: Questionaire Lockup
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:25:06 AM »
Originally posted by HawgHawk
Hey everyone,

Just downloaded and installed Aces High.  Have been reading up and playing offline.  I have stick and other settings working well offline and just created an account for online play.  Went through the registration process well enough, and upon logging into an arena ... a questionaire pops up asking about how I came across Aces High.  At that point the mouse cursor freezes with no movement.  Alt tab works to bring up other running apps, but when selected they won't come to the front as they will when playing offline.  No choice but to hard reboot.

Any suggestions?

I fixed the problem by installing a windows hotfix patch  89 something something.....do a search for this in support on the forum.  I will search too and post a follow up with the link.
over and out, halb

Offline halb

• Zinc Member
Questionaire Lockup
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:27:13 AM »
here it is and TY to skuzzy for the original fix..

AMD and Intel Multi-core CPU's

You only need to be here if you are having problems with your dual-core CPU computer system. The following is not needed if your system is running normally.

There are two parts in this post. The first one is a more generic, and requires a comfortable knowledge of working with the regedit program, notepad, general adding and removing of software, and navigating around in the Windows Control Panel. Most of the information in this first part was garnered from another forum. I made every attempt to make it easy to read and understand.

The second set of instructions deals specifically with the dual core AMD CPU and should be easier to handle for most people.

MAKING THE MOST OF A DUAL CORE CPU (the hard way)

Warning: If you chose to follow the next set of instructions, it should be known you do so at your own volition. These are very high risk operations you are about to perform. Any error or problems resulting from the use of these instructions are not the responsibility of HiTech Creations, Inc. These instructions are being provided on an "as is" basis.

In order to make use of these instructions at all, your computer must be running:
- Windows XP (Home, Pro, MCE) with Service Pack 2 (even when using Apple Bootcamp, NOT Virtual PC) or
- Any system (desktop or notebook... even Apple's MacBook's) with multi-cores, multi-processors, multi-logical processors (Hyper-Threading) or
- Intel: Pentium 4 w/ HT, Pentium D, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Dual Core Xeons or
- AMD: Athlon 64 X2, Turion X2, Dual Core Opterons

Before proceeding, if you are running a computer which relies on battery power, then following instructions can have an impact on how long the computer will run on the battery. Please pay attention as you go through the instructions.

1) (for Intel CPUs) Check to see if the mandatory Windows XP Hotfix Patch: KB896256 (NOT automatically downloaded with Windows Update) is installed. You do this by going to the "Add/Remove Programs" ICON in the Control Panel and review the list of installed software.
If the patch is not listed as being installed, then download KB896256 XP patch and install it.

1) (for AMD CPUs) Check to see if the mandatory Windows XP Hotfix Patch: KB896256 (NOT automatically downloaded with Windows Update) and the AMD CPU drivers are installed. You do this by going to the "Add/Remove Programs" ICON in the Control Panel and review the list of installed software.
If the patches are not listed as being installed, then download KB896256 XP patch , AMD CPU Drivers and install them. (for AMD Dual Core Optimizer info read Note 2)

Note 1: Only install the AMD Driver if you have an AMD CPU.
Note 2: The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer was AMD's answer to Microsoft's Multi-Core fix. AMD released their Optimizer to give the public (with AMD dual core CPUs) a way to properly utilize both cores. If you install the AMD Optimizer and it works without problems, then you would NOT have to install the the WinXP hotfix.
On BSOD's (Blue Screens of Death).... If you own a Clevo D900K (A.K.A. Sager 9750, Alienware Aurora m7700, etc) notebook, DO NOT install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer as it is incompatible. So if you experience BSODs (on any computer) after the AMD Optimizer is installed, then go into Safe Mode and uninstall it. You will still have optimized dual core as long as you do the rest of the guide.

2) From the Windows desktop go to Start->Run. Type REGEDIT and press . The registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Con
trol\Session Manager should have a key named Throttle there, if not make it by right clicking, point at New->Key... name it Throttle.

3) (Still in registry) Inside Throttle key: should be a DWORD called PerfEnablePackageIdle with the value of 1. If it is not there, right click, point to New->DWORD... name it PerfEnablePackageIdle.
[/i]*** Note: You should type 1 in the Value data box to enable the performance state policy behavior (increases performance) at the expense of some battery life, if you are running a battery powered computer.[/i]

4) Quit Registry.

5) Now let's review your boot.ini to make sure that the command /usepmtimer is there. Using your mouse, right-click on My Computer go to Properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under Startup and Recovery click on Settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini has the /usepmtimer in there (located in the last line), if NOT then just copy and paste /usepmtimer in there.

Note: If you have an AMD dual core and installed the AMD drivers, the /usepmtimer would be inserted into your boot.ini for you.
Note: The /usepmtimer in the BOOT.ini is a "switch" that forces the system to use a steady clock in place of the CPU frequency... for certain timing functions. Thats as basic as you can explain it.

6)Go to File and then Save (to save the changes to your BOOT.ini).

Restart your computer.

AMD DUAL CORE CPU's and the AMD OPTIMIZER PATCH (the easier way)

******NOTE: If you opted to follow the preceeding instructions, then you DO NOT need to do the following.******

There is a problem with dual core AMD CPU's in Windows XP Home and Professional which causes several problems in the game.
These issues do not appear to be a problem with Windows 2000. Only Windos XP.

To work around the problem, do this.

1. Right-click on the Aces High II startup ICON.
2. Select "Properties" from the popup menu.
3. Select the "Compatibility" tab.
4. Check the check box to run the game in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode.

Or, you can download a patch from AMD which addresses this, and sever other, issues related to dual core CPU's. Follow this link to obtain the patch.

Depending on what version of Windows XP you have, you may still need this patch. (for Intel or AMD CPUs) Check to see if the mandatory Windows XP Hotfix Patch: KB896256 (NOT automatically downloaded with Windows Update) is installed. You do this by going to the "Add/Remove Programs" ICON in the Control Panel and review the list of installed software.
If the patch is not listed as being installed, then download KB896256 XP patch and install it.