Author Topic: Stick Settings  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Stick Settings
« on: October 24, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
Long story short... had to reinstall AH and stick recently.  Been a long time since I toyed around with settings.

Now I can't hold the sight on target.  The sight is bouncing all over the place.  I tried straffing AAA's with a 110 offlien last night and could not hold steady on it to save my life.

Which setting it is it I need to tweek to fix this and in what direction?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Stick Settings
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »
Look in AKAK's thread about stick settings.  His settings worked for me, and a lot of other people too.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Stick Settings
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:24:55 PM »
Try here Controller setup

Pay close attn to "scaling"
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Stick Settings
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »
frok akak's thread:

Here you go beaston, this is the scale that I use for my stick.

Just open your stick config file in your AH2 settings folder (be sure to back it up before editing) and copy and paste these lines over the ones in the config file.

Roll

Pitch

Yaw

In each of your config files for your controllers, just look for the line that will say "Axis # Roll/Pitch/Yaw". Below those lines, there will be numbers similiar to the ones above. Those are your stick scale numbers. Just copy and paste the above numbers and save your config file. Hope it helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the config file is named (your stick name).jsm open it with word pad and replace your lines with these numbers.
you may want to loosen the roll a little instead of inhibiting it thats what i did anyway. and you can do that from in game.
worked for me stoped my nose bounce and made gunnery easier.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Stick Settings
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:22:19 PM »
Originally posted by goober69
frok akak's thread:

Just open your stick config file in your AH2 settings folder (be sure to back it up before editing) and copy and paste these lines over the ones in the config file.

Roll

Pitch

Yaw

In each of your config files for your controllers, just look for the line that will say "Axis # Roll/Pitch/Yaw". Below those lines, there will be numbers similiar to the ones above. Those are your stick scale numbers. Just copy and paste the above numbers and save your config file. Hope it helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the config file is named (your stick name).jsm open it with word pad and replace your lines with these numbers.
you may want to loosen the roll a little instead of inhibiting it thats what i did anyway. and you can do that from in game.
worked for me stoped my nose bounce and made gunnery easier.

At the time I didn't realize that the file host had a time limit as too how long your file will be hosted so I made another thread that explains how to manually edit the stick config files to adjust the scaling.

Also, thanks.

quote:

Roll

Pitch

Yaw

Hope this helps.

ack-ack

WOW !!! look at that, looks just like Ak-Ak settings hows that happen??:noid

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Stick Settings
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 03:46:40 AM »
Ackack and Lynx's are similar and a great starting point without a doubt. Neither of them tell you how to set damping or deadband  and both can be tailored to your personal styles as long as you can understand the affects of the slider movements.

A good point was brought up on another thread about ack ack's settings. He pretty much flies the one plane (38) and although both stick settings are a close match it comes down to what stick you use and how you use it. hvy damping may help the guy with the hvy hand and visa versa.

If you own a twisty stick you'll definatly need to increase dead band on that axis to prevent rudder movement from happening when you move up/ dn left/right on the stick.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Stick Settings
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:07:44 PM »

I fly spits alot and this works for me . I never checked the how close it's to Akak's or LYNX's setups . Most likey it's close .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Stick Settings
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive

WOW !!! look at that, looks just like Ak-Ak settings hows that happen??:noid [/B]

*shrug* don't know.  My scale is basically the scale I used in AW then modified it for when I played WB and modified it again when I started AH.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Stick Settings
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 05:51:22 PM »
Originally posted by A8TOOL
Ackack and Lynx's are similar and a great starting point without a doubt. Neither of them tell you how to set damping or deadband  and both can be tailored to your personal styles as long as you can understand the affects of the slider movements.

The reason I don't mention the damping or deadbands is that those two are more stick related than the actual stick scale settings.  Personally, I only recommend adjusting those if you are using an old legacy analog controller.  

A good point was brought up on another thread about ack ack's settings. He pretty much flies the one plane (38) and although both stick settings are a close match it comes down to what stick you use and how you use it. hvy damping may help the guy with the hvy hand and visa versa.

My stick scale is not tailored for any specific planes or controllers.  When I made the very first version of the scale back in AW, I was flying the FW190-A8 as my main ride and scaled my stick in an attempt to eliminate nose bounce.  When I converted it to use in AH, I tested and made adjustments to the settings while flying the Hellcat as that was my main ride for the first couple of tours until the glass tail problem was fixed in the P-38L.

Nor is the stick set for any particular style of flying but rather made to fit the style of anyone.  The primary intent when I made my stick scale was to eliminate nose bounce.  The fact that it allows you to ride the edge of the envelope nice and smoothly was an unintentional bonus.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Stick Settings
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
yes im using this now with slight mods to roll so i can roll faster. but yes it kills  all the nose bounce and im not tweekig the rudder all the time.

im much smoother on the stick and as humble and a few others say "smooth is fast"
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Stick Settings
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
*shrug* don't know.  My scale is basically the scale I used in AW then modified it for when I played WB and modified it again when I started AH.

ack-ack

I'm pretty sure I know how it happened Ack-Ack, he used your settings ....which you have graciously posted time and time again...and may even have forgotten they were yours. This line...

frok akak's thread:

just tweaked me a bit. I didn't think it was cool of him to say is all. Wasn't coming down on you Ack  

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Stick Settings
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 12:14:42 AM »
Umm  Dead Band and Damper....now there's a thing but first let me explain my dilemma.

I use a CH Fighterstick USB and CH pedals.  The stick is nearly 2 years old and has a problem in the "Y" (up down) axis and main hat switch but that's by the by.

The pedals are worn and the brakes stopped working over a year ago.

With default scaling / dead band / damper the rig isn't anywhere as good as the money it cost.  The stick is very lite to the point of being annoying and the pedals are so sensitive I can't play wearing shoes.  Default settings give me a very bouncy stick, involuntary spins or rolls and a rudder that throws my gun site from one side to the other in a blink of the eye.

Scaling smooths things out but I am heavy handed and prefer to feel or at least perceive some weight in the stick.  So when it comes to Dead Band / Damping it's 2 things.  1) Your personal preferences.  (I like it heavy) 2) No two sticks are the same.  One axis maybe twitchier than the other etc.

I'm afraid it's a suck it and see thing.  If you have one loose axis the other maybe fine.  That over sensitive axis may need Dead Band to stop the movement or inerrant spiking which in turn may need some Damper to slow it down or equal out the jerky movements afterwards.

So I have a fair amount of dead band / damping. My rudders are overly sensitive so lots of both + heavy tweaking in the ch control panel (ch program that came with the stick)

You guys will have to find what feels or works best for your own stick / preferences when it comes to Dead Band / Damper.  However, that's the icing on the cake because the scalings submitted above is where 99% of you will feel a remarkable difference from default.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:38:37 AM by LYNX »

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Stick Settings
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by airspro

I fly spits alot and this works for me . I never checked the how close it's to Akak's or LYNX's setups . Most likey it's close .

Spo

I could be wrong but I think I spotted something wrong in the picture.  Nothing to do with scaling by the way.  I bet your planes fly a tad nose low and don't climb so easily.  

Look at the "X" and "Y" axis.  They should have the same number 32768.  If I'm correct it means your calibration is out in windows on the axis 31999.  You need to centre that in windows control panel calibration then recalibrate in game afterwards.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Stick Settings
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 07:04:02 AM »
Disclaimer, you notice both of these guys have CH gear, and are OLD, and WISE in the ways of the force.

If you don't have CH gear chances are you don't want to be near that aggressive esp in pitch setting. Or you'll find you have trouble just flying the plane. Also while Lynx says he prefers a "hvy" stick I bet you'd find that he actually has an incredibly light touch.  

Again, your mileage may vary.

If you do get in trouble, remember to BACKUP before you mess with things. And if all else fails, click the default map, and go back to square one again.  Try those settings with a twitchy MS sidewinder and a heavy handed newby and you've got a pilot with fits asking trainers whats screwed up with the game.

When in doubt, small changes, one change at a time. Take the time to backup ALWAYS! And while your here, backup your whole settings folder to cd/dvd/flash drive, 2nd hard drive, 2nd computer, or all of the above.

You'll be glad you did.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Stick Settings
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 07:16:06 AM »
Here's mine.