Author Topic: Is this a glitch?  (Read 643 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Is this a glitch?
« on: December 04, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
I've had this happen 3 separate times, this time I have it recorded. I'm flying a Huri 2 with no damage and in a slight dive, top speed was 320mph. I pulled out of the dive and the wing breaks off.

Film

I've never had any other plane have it's wings break off at such a low speed. Hell I've even had the Huri 2 in 400+ mph dives and pulled out and didn't break a wing.

I can understand pulling out of a dive too fast can break your wings and so on, but 300mph? Seems like something isn't right, IMO. Add to that the 3 times it's happened have been at times I didn't even think the aircraft was very stressed.

btw fuel was under 75% and probably close to 50%..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:53:05 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »
review the film and determine at what G load the wings snapped.  Typically Engineering recommends not exceeding a certain G load but remember, engineering factors in about twice the load survivable as the max load allowed.  The P51D wings used to pop off the moment you passed 8 Gs.  It was designed to withstand 15 Gs max.  That was fixed.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »
Ever looked at your G-meter?
Speed as such isn't the problem, you're pulling just way too much G's, more than 9!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:12:45 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
It was designed to withstand 15 Gs max.
It wasn't

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
I was having the same issues with the Spit XVI and the Hurri2c. I don't know if my stick spiked, or I just pulled too hard, but the idea that I could tear with wings off without the pilot blacking out didn't make a great deal of sense to me. Been flying with a different scaling setup, and I have only ripped the wings once, and that was a blatant mistake on my part.

Whoa, yeah, the needle on the accelerometer slams around to peg at nine. That's a little too much.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:55:01 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »
I guess I'll have to watch the G needle more, I didn't notice it pegged 9. I never watch it I generally fly by the feel of the plane and it's speed. If it's making too much noise or if I'm blacking out I know I'm pushing it too much. :D

I honestly didn't think I was going fast enough to have the G's spike up that hard. Then again I've mostly been flying the Hur1 so maybe Im' just not used to the H2.
"strafing"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:28:21 PM »
P51 was rated to +8 Gs/-4 Gs.  

Engineering always builds a safefty value into the rated G limit specifications.   The P51 was able to endure considerably more than the rated +8 Gs/-4 Gs.   Memory recalls some engineering facts on the P51 suggesting +15 Gs was the structural failure point.

The fact I will point out again was that in AH the early P51s used to shed their wing at precisely +8 Gs.  Everytime like clockwork.  As I recall, complaints about this saw the next patch bring that faulire point out well past 14 Gs.  Try it.

Study the engineering specs on the Hurrc.  If the wings fail at the maximum allowed G limit then the FM might need to be tweaked as I am sure brit engineers, as well as russian, german, japanese engineers always build a safety value into the max specs.  Wings should not fail at the maximum allowed G limit

Let me repeat:

Wings should not fail at the maximum allowed G limit
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:34:03 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:50:11 PM »
Engineering always builds a safefty value into the rated G limit specifications.
Not true. Today that's true for commercial aircraft (150%) and only because some agencies like FAA require that. Different applications, different requirements...

If you build a plane able to withstand 160% means your engineering is bad, because that extra 10-% adds extra weight.

During WWII USAF required roughly 7.3 Gs, safety extras included. Navy had yet again different requirements, so did different countries... Most of manufactures kept to those specs or went just slightly above.

The P51 was able to endure considerably more than the rated +8 Gs/-4 Gs.
It wasn't. In fact, it was rated for those +8/-4 Gs at 8,000lbs load and  only D model. At 12,000Lbs it was rated about +5/-2.5 Gs. Everything above that and you are in danger of sustaining a structural damage.

Memory recalls some engineering facts on the P51 suggesting +15 Gs was the structural failure point.
Not true. Every time you went above  the limit you were in danger of structural failure. That doesn't mean wings would fall off at 8Gs automatically, very often skin would warp a little, sometimes spar, etc...

The fact I will point out again was that in AH the early P51s used to shed their wing at precisely +8 Gs.  Everytime like clockwork.  As I recall, complaints about this saw the next patch bring that faulire point out well past 14 Gs.  Try it.
In AH p-51 wings break at about 12 Gs and above, even at full load...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »
During WWII USAF required roughly 7.3 Gs, safety extras included. Navy had yet again different requirements, so did different countries... Most of manufactures kept to those specs or went just slightly above.
====
just slightly above?  where are you getting this information?  is there a link?

It wasn't. In fact, it was rated for those +8/-4 Gs at 8,000lbs load and only D model. At 12,000Lbs it was rated about +5/-2.5 Gs. Everything above that and you are in danger of sustaining a structural damage.
====
Where are you getting your information?  Whats the weight of a fully loaded P51D in AH.  

How far above +5 Gs should I be able to pull G on a fully loaded P51D in AH?

In AH p-51 wings break at about 12 Gs and above, even at full load...
====
It has been a long long while since I popped wings on a cartoon P51 so I will take your word on this, since it is easy enough to confirm.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:36:56 PM »
thats funny ive never broken the wings off anything but a zero.

and i mean never
theyve been shot off and blown off but never broke off.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Is this a glitch?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
I ripped the wings off and exploded my 262 in a gentle climbing turn at 300mph... blackout was just SLIGHTLY creeping in, very smooth pull.. BOOM !