Author Topic: N1K Vs. P47N  (Read 4211 times)

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2007, 09:31:57 PM »
anytime above 20k, i will fly P-47, in my view, P-47 is best in game
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2007, 10:42:55 PM »
Originally posted by Adonai
Well look at the attributes a N1k has compared to a Jug:

N1k- Better climb Rate
N1k - Better gun package and ammo with it
Split even: Turn fighting ability: under 10k would award n1k, over 10k a jug.
Jug: Flat Speed, Dive Speed
Range: Jug
Durability: Jug times 3

Even at 10k, the N1k2 has the advantage in maneuverability.  The P-47 really doesn't come into its own until it's above 20,000ft and gets better the higher it goes.

My best opinion is this: a pilot can master any plane and make any fight his fight.
Ive been in turnfights at 15k in n1k's and won against Jugs, I also lost against Jug's at 15k in a spit14 so goes to show quality of the pilot knowing his aircrafts limits is what wins.

No offense, but in those victories you're bragging about, I am willing to bet that you had the advantage in both altitude and speed and those pilots were below average.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2007, 12:14:58 AM »
Originally posted by Adonai
Well look at the attributes a N1k has compared to a Jug:

N1k- Better climb Rate
N1k - Better gun package and ammo with it
Split even: Turn fighting ability: under 10k would award n1k, over 10k a jug.
Jug: Flat Speed, Dive Speed
Range: Jug
Durability: Jug times 3

My best opinion is this: a pilot can master any plane and make any fight his fight.
Ive been in turnfights at 15k in n1k's and won against Jugs, I also lost against Jug's at 15k in a spit14 so goes to show quality of the pilot knowing his aircrafts limits is what wins.

idk wat u talkin bout gun package wise, id rather have 8 50 cals and over 3,000 rounds then like 300 20mms
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:56 AM »
most MA fights seem to end up on the deck, where the Nik should PWN.  In my fight with Lute, I did win the fight, but couldn't close the deal because his D-40 always had enough E to open up where my Japanese cannons couldn't hit him.  He was able to at least match turns with me, which I can't explain because I assume the Nik can out-turn a jug...period, flaps or whatever.

Certainly pilot skill is the difference.  But, given even pilots, I can't see how the P-47 should be the prefered ride in the MA.  Now, if we were going to keep the fight high, 15k and up, perhaps the jug would see the advantage.  But on the deck, the jug is simply out of its element.  The jug wasn't built as a low-alt fighter.  

I love to try and fly the jug, but for MA engagements, it's just not the best ride in the lineup and given a choice between the jug and Nik in the MA, I can't see the jug being the better choice.  However, I am living proof that given a better pilot, any plane can beat the other.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2007, 08:10:01 AM »
Originally posted by toonces3
I love to try and fly the jug, but for MA engagements, it's just not the best ride in the lineup and given a choice between the jug and Nik in the MA, I can't see the jug being the better choice.  

Well, if you are looking the the best MA ride I wouldn't pick any of the two. N1k and P47 are not a choice one over the other, same as you don't pick a panzer over a FW190. The planes are so different in design purpose and use that the question is irrelevant.

For me the P47 is the best choice for the MA. It fills best the combination of properties that I want from my ride: Historical value, pretty skins, challenge,  and the elusive coolness factor. Another Jug bonus is that it attracts the opposition so you don't have to chase them, they will come to (for) you. The N1k miss out on all these, except for maybe some nice skins.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2007, 08:19:01 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Am I the only one who would rather be in a Niki in that situation?

nope Urchin........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2007, 09:33:02 AM »
most MA fights seem to end up on the deck, where the Nik should PWN.  In my fight with Lute, I did win the fight, but couldn't close the deal because his D-40 always had enough E to open up where my Japanese cannons couldn't hit him.  He was able to at least match turns with me, which I can't explain because I assume the Nik can out-turn a jug...period, flaps or whatever.

Certainly pilot skill is the difference.  But, given even pilots, I can't see how the P-47 should be the prefered ride in the MA.  Now, if we were going to keep the fight high, 15k and up, perhaps the jug would see the advantage.  But on the deck, the jug is simply out of its element.  The jug wasn't built as a low-alt fighter.  

I love to try and fly the jug, but for MA engagements, it's just not the best ride in the lineup and given a choice between the jug and Nik in the MA, I can't see the jug being the better choice.  However, I am living proof that given a better pilot, any plane can beat the other.

If everyone flew the best low altitude fighters, you'd see only four or five types. Fortunately, this is not the case.

I for one, rarely fly the so-called uber fighters. I'd rather fly an F6F, P-47, P-38, or 190A-5. Sure, I can get a ton of kills flying the La-7, Tempest, Spit16 or Niki, but there's no challenge in that. I have no qualms about taking a TBM into a fight, because I know exactly what the Avenger can do, and most of the opposition has no clue that the TBM can match turns with a Hurricane IIC. A good pilot can maintain a 3/1 or better kill to loss ratio in the lumbering TBM. So, why would a good pilot not feel comfortable flying a P-47 at less than its ideal combat altitude?

P-47s are reasonably fast, even on the deck. Both the P-47D-25 and -40 can attain 344 mph on the deck. That's as fast as the Spit16 and Ki-84. The P-47D-11 is a bit faster at 346 mph, with the P-47N able to sprint to 366 mph. At 10,000 feet, the P-47N is faster than the Tempest or La-7. Add to that outstanding dive acceleration and tremendous zoom climb (more important than steady-state climb in a fight) and the Jugs are quite capable of inflicting a beating on anything they encounter. Really good ailerons and high-speed flaps add to the arsenal of tools available to the P-47 pilot. Granted, the P-47s generally require a greater level of Situational Awareness than some other fighters. They generally lack the low level acceleration to run away from a deteriorating tactical situation. Thus, you keep the Jugs reasonably fast and fly aggressively within their envelop. Skilled P-47 pilots recognize the fighter's envelop and exploit it to the maximum.

Jugs require good E management. That means not G loading the airframe more than required. It means smooth control input, never jerk the stick around. Slow is smooth and smooth helps keep you fast. Don't overdo flap usage.

You mentioned that Lute was able to match your turns, which leaves you somewhat perplexed. At corner speed, the Niki can't out-turn the P-47 because turn rate is g limited. Even down to 200 mph, the Jug's excellent flaps will allow it to stick to the Niki like glue. Only when the speed of the engagement deteriorates to less than 200 mph does the Niki gain the upper hand. If the P-47 driver refuses to get into that trap, the Niki pilot must rely on being the better pilot. If the P-47 pilot can get the Niki turning while maintaining an E advantage, he can convert his E to altitude and push the Niki much harder than ever expected. My mantra is "pin them, bleed them and then kill them". This translates into keeping the enemy confined, keep them turning so they cannot build speed and eventually breaking down their speed  so slow that their relative aspect changes little, making the kill easy. Your better P-47 pilots know how to accomplish this and can give the angles fighter serious grief. By managing your E effectively, the Jugs can dictate a fight well enough to be a genuine threat to anything they encounter.

This past Thursday evening, we held one of our Engaging Multiple Enemies clinics in the TA. About 12 MA regulars showed up and we divided into two groups. Optiker, took one group of 4 or 5 and I took the balance. Initially, my group flew 5 on 2 fights. I took a P-47D-25 as one of the smaller group of two. The larger group were in Spitfires, 109s, a Yak-9U and F4Us. Later, we flew group against group, involving 10 to 12 fighters. I stayed in P-47s through most of the engagements and never felt that I was in an inferior fighter, because I wasn't.

Likewise, in the MA, I don't feel at a disadvantage if I fly a P-47 or a P-38, or an F6F. Each one of these has different strengths, and each one can be extremely effective if its pilot fights to those strengths. Ultimately, knowing the enemy's fighter better than he does, combined with the ability to fly your fighter to its absolute limits is key.

Aircraft knowledge, aggression, SA, ACM skills and E-management are the primary elements to being successful in any fight. You should aspire to be good at all of the above, because the pilot who has high levels of all these attributes would be deadly flying a washing machine.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:53:38 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »

For most MA engaements, the Lghey or spit16 are prolly the best rides, as most fights are below 5-8k, but who wants to simply fly the fastest, most dominating planes EVERY frikkin time? (ok....don't answer, that was rhetorical;)) I could probably do a LOT better if I flew somethin other than N (I die most every time with D40/25, cant SEE out of D11..simply havent the skills to win with those)...but it's gratifying to, in the rare occasions where there actually IS a dogfight, come away the victor against the more common late-war rides
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
as Widewing posted, I too prefer to fly less uber planes.....but at the same time, it is fun to up what some think to be an uber plane or dweeb type plane ( think noob flown plane ) and surprise people.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2007, 12:37:42 PM »
That was a great post widewing- thanks.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
Originally posted by Fruda
I find it increasingly easy to prey on N1Ks. They never seem to put up much of a fight, and they're quite slow. The only danger is their cannons, but even then they're not that difficult to avoid with competent tactics.

Ki-61s and Ki-84s put up a much better fight, just like you said. They float like you wouldn't believe, and that's why you really have to be careful.

lol, you guys are teh funnay.  I can say the same for the 47s and 51s.  Most don't put up a fight.  The dive in and run.  Why do you think a 47 cab beat a NIKI?  Witch one of the 47s?  Its not the plane that is not putting up a fight.  Its the dweeb in it.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »
I'd say the P47 will win, mainly because usually P47 have better/more experienced jocks in it then N1K's.
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
Re: N1K Vs. P47N
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2007, 04:50:31 AM »
Originally posted by raider73
Personally i think N1K will win because i usually do what do you guys think??? :D

On which planet?????