Author Topic: Spit 8 vs. Typhoon Tactics  (Read 819 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Spit 8 vs. Typhoon Tactics
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
I fly the Spit 8, and the plane that is giving me fits this tour is the Typhoon.  Most kills on me so far.  I know they are faster, and I can turn better.  Any other observations on how to tackle this monster?  They seem to come out of nowhere with ungodly speed and hammer you before you can blink your eyes.  I actually had one turn inside of me, talk about a what the heck moment! UGH
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »
I got out-turned by a Temp on the deck in a Spit VIII one night.  He surely throttled back and may have even dumped flaps.  Imagine my surprise.

I've got a move I can't really describe that works 99% of the time on someone coming fast on your six in just about anything.  It starts as a break-turn then I roll out of it into sort of barrel roll out of the bottom but without doing it I can't remember if it's in the direction of my break turn or opposite.  It ends up placing my on an angle off the attackers six and with a small adjustment I'm chasing him.

Waits for WideWing to come tell me it's ineffective

Those Typhs don't turn that well or climb all that well once the initial E is blown off.  You just have to avoid the initial pass.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
typhoons and tempests are both very good BnZ rides. not to be underestimated.

1: do not allow them to gain a shot on you at all, if possible. If you judge a threat by how much it can hurt you and how small a window they need to get enough lead on you then the typhoon is near the top of that list.

2: if you see a low typhoon extending away to grab some altitude, it is wise to target it first and not allow it to come back 5000ft above you.

3:never accept the HO challenge from a typhoon. unless they cannot shoot you will lose.

4: spit8 has good power and very good turning, climbing and roll rate. not to mention good guns. Avoid the typh is first thing to do, and maybe create a quick snapshot in the same move. when the typh knows it is in trouble it can dive away and leave the spit8 far behind. when you get a shot on a typh, make sure you make it count.

im sure i forget most stuff, but these 4 come to mind instantly.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »
hey b@t

that film you put up some time ago where the guy is coming at you with alt and e.  You did a gradual turn to the right then rolled over the top and pop him as he goes by would probably help in this situation.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »
Its pretty simple...

If the tiffie has alt & E and can shoot then you have a dinged up or dead spitty. If you have alt or E then get on him and fire your .303's as soon as you get inside 600. you have to force him to turn...once he has E on you all you'll see is his 20mm....

The tiffie doesnt hold E well so if you try and get cute he'll slow much faster if he's off the gas then you will. A tiffie at high speed will turn with any other high speed con for 270 degrees or so....

A tiffie is basically just a flying gun platform. Kill it when you can avoid it when you cant....the higher you are the worse the tiffies performance.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »
TYPH's are the 10K BnZers, TEMP's are the 20K BnZers. I like to make a break turn and as soon as they get their nose on me or are 600 away I either stop turning and fly straight, or roll over and turn the other way. It all depends on what the situation is.

They way I defeat TYPHs or TEMPs is I just ignore them and head home. If all they want to do is BnZ then I'll let them, but it will just be a waste of their time.

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 06:12:09 PM »
dont see how u r havin a problem killin typhoon, yes it has good firepower but dont turn good, also heres a tip, u notice when u fly the typhoon it kicks to the right abit when u r under like 100mph, typhoon has so much power in that engine it kicks it to the right, which overall means turns better going right then left, if a typhoon is on u, go left, normally cant keep with u for long, exspecially if u in a spitty:aok

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:49:20 AM »
Originally posted by redman555
dont see how u r havin a problem killin typhoon, yes it has good firepower but dont turn good, also heres a tip, u notice when u fly the typhoon it kicks to the right abit when u r under like 100mph, typhoon has so much power in that engine it kicks it to the right, which overall means turns better going right then left, if a typhoon is on u, go left, normally cant keep with u for long, exspecially if u in a spitty:aok

-BigBOBCH

If someone is flying a typhoon like you're describing then there's no secret to killing them. They're just sitting ducks. A 262 doesn't turn good either. Doesn't mean you're gonna get it turning with you...

If someone is good in a tempest chances are you're not gonna shoot them down unless they do a massive mistake but that would contradict being good.

Personally if I'm in a spit8 and any bnz plane comes theres two options, doing a quick reversal and see if I'm in line in a shot.. Only if they're going slow enough however. Else I'll just do a low-e evasive and keep an eye on them and deal with doing whatever I need to... like rtbing / fighting co-alt or lower enemies... until they decide to get slow enough for me.

To give you an idea of what I'm talkingabout, I've flown about 25 tempest sorties this month with 23 landed. One death came from a puffy ack and the other from alcohol. I don't care what people say about that, I like to fly it the way it's meant to be flown. Out of 466 airkills, 100 are accounted for by flying temp. Stats sometimes do help give you a picture of what you're dealing with. Yea, sometimes I do like bnz dooda.

I'm not one of the best at all so this just goes to prove how easy it is to keep a plane like this alive.

Biggest mistake I see people doing, is they do LAZY FLAT TURNS when I come in. They completely misjudge my speed and give me an easy shot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:06:28 AM by RumbleB »

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:32:37 PM »
i know, i mean thats like saying it easy to shoot betty down when shes in her typhoon lol, i can tell when im in a dogfight with her:D some ppl r good in em some arent, just like how i fly the P-47 as a fighter, ppl say it sucks, but when i shoot them down i PM them and say so wat were u sayin bout the P-47 being a bad plane?

-BigBOBCH:aok
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 06:43:21 AM »
I got jumped by a temp one night i was at 15k in a 190d9 he was at about 20.
first thing i thought, roll rate. typh and temp roll like a pig even at speed compared to most other planes.  so for a 190 avoiding him was easy.
id roll right and turn lightly to make him say look at this idiot,
as his gun pass developed i rolled back over right 270 degrees and pulled harder he was out of plane so overshot. went through this or similar moves for about four passes.
on his fith pass he didnt have the e to get away when i reversed and made a lucky shot to blow him up.
repeat and rinse till they get bored and leave or get stupid and die.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 06:55:42 AM »
TYPHOONS:

I think the best is trying to get him into a turn fight with you. Keep ur speed up and try to blow off his E while he iss Booming in by breaking. Once the Typh has lost his E it needs allot of time to regain it, u can simple follow him while he is running or just try to get on top of him. I know that spits turn better then Typhs, especially when u get the fight slow but i dont recomment that in the MA unless he's the only con around u.

Also Remember, Typhoons have a really slow roll rate so you might want to use your roll rate to get him of your 6 when your chasing him or you might want to get into a rolling scissors with him.

What i usually do is trying to let the enemy fight my fight wich in this situation is turning/rolling. Remember to use flaps.

With Tempest's however, when they are up they are mostly experienced pilots and wont get into a turn fight with you. They will prolly come in a zoom or slash attack. I mostly use the barrel roll defense and try to get as many snapshots as i can.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:01:19 AM by Mus51 »
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:05:56 AM »
Originally posted by Mus51
TYPHOONS:

I think the best is trying to get him into a turn fight with you. Keep ur speed up and try to blow off his E while he iss Booming in by breaking. Once the Typh has lost his E it needs allot of time to regain it, u can simple follow him while he is running or just try to get on top of him. I know that spits turn better then Typhs, especially when u get the fight slow but i dont recomment that in the MA unless he's the only con around u.

Also Remember, Typhoons have a really slow roll rate so you might want to use your roll rate to get him of your 6 when your chasing him or you might want to get into a rolling scissors with him.

What i usually do is trying to let the enemy fight my fight wich in this situation is turning/rolling. Remember to use flaps.

With Tempest's however, when they are up they are mostly experienced pilots and wont get into a turn fight with you. They will prolly come in a zoom or slash attack. I mostly use the barrel roll defense and try to get as many snapshots as i can.

silly mus.....u have to think about who u are engaging the fight with...if i'm in my tiff, i watch my speed, i DO NOT use flaps cuz that means i'm wayyyyy to fast...as far as the roll rate...not a problem. i get it to roll just fine. if i'm in a 1v1 then i wont turn fight with us, i think personally its better for me if i can force u into a rolling scissors, then i wait for my chance to chop throttle and roll onto ur 6.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 05:51:25 PM »
well what i discribed here works everytime for me so thats why i type it out :)
Regards,

DutchGuy