Author Topic: Your Hotas - Let's talk time in service  (Read 1092 times)

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Your Hotas - Let's talk time in service
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 08:32:51 PM »
Look at the TM Cougar with a U2 NXT gimbal Mod with Hall Sensors.  You can find an overview of the mods for the Cougar here:

http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/mods.php#IJ_casing

The U2 NXT moves on high quality bearings.  The hall sensors also have bearings and no contacts to wear.  There is not much that can wear out on these.  These do require assembly, but I thought the install of these mods were rather easy and well documented.  If you don't own a screwdriver, you don't want to go this route.  The U2 NXT/Hall Sensor modded Cougar will cost mabe a little over double the cost of a new unmodded Cougar.  I plan to have this stick for a long time to come.

I have been flying a lot of FSX lately, and AH only once a week.  I put in a few hours a day, maybe 4-6 hours on the weekends.  My usage varies from a few hours a week, to more then I want to count or admit to :)

If your not into doing Mods, in my opinion the CH gear is great durability and long life.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline 0thehero

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.esc-services.com
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 10:45:29 AM »
Sorry, Llama; I just gave away a ten-year F22-TQS-Simped setup, complete with Bob Church's upgrade kit.  Worked perfectly for those ten years, never replacing a pot or a spring.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »
I use all CH gear. CH Fighterstick Pro/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals/Throttle Quadrant. The throttle quadrant is new. The fighterstick is two years old and replaces a MS Sidewinder Pro that survived for six months. The Pro Throttle I bought when they were first released. The pedals are at least seven years old. Except for three months a year when I am in the Philippines I fly about 40 hours a week. Before I came over to AH I was even more into Falcon 4 and before that Falcon 3 and I've always flown and still fly MSFS. Maintenance on all CH products this far has been 0 hours.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »
Originally posted by 0thehero
Sorry, Llama; I just gave away a ten-year F22-TQS-Simped setup, complete with Bob Church's upgrade kit.  Worked perfectly for those ten years, never replacing a pot or a spring.

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

;)

Anyway, thanks for thinking about me at least.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 02:00:29 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth

CH guys love their gear, but they don't love not flying for a week or two every year or so while pots are being swapped out. Come on be honest now, how many of you CH users have 2 sticks. So you can have one in the shop and still flly?

What is this pot replacement you speck of? Never had to do any kind of repair work on my CH. I've been useing my anilog since 99. 4 years ago replaced them with USB because I built a new system and went to XP. But I don't use them much. But when I do, no problems with dusty pots. And how is it possible that they get dusty or dirty? There is no holes in my CH where dirt or dust can get in.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 01:49:41 AM »
5 years and 3800 hours or so on my CH USB gear, no probs yet but I do keep them covered with these when not in use....

http://www.hotascovers.com/covers.htm

The only reason I gave up my CH analog gear was because of the move to XP. I've kept them 'just in case', doubt if I will ever have dig them out though.

Had Logitechs break off at the base of the stick 3x when I first flew AW, went to CH and never looked back.