Author Topic: Spa Project  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
Here`s a pic of my setup.

Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline mongo36

• Zinc Member
Spa Project
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 08:45:38 AM »
"Rip, another suggestion. Make sure you design a recline seat with back and foot massage in the spa. That's the one I use 99% of the time."

Amen, and Bose outdoor speakers.  No need for a flat screen.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Spa Project
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »
RPM

I sold that tub the last time I moved since I couldn't take it with me to the UK.  It might have been a sundance but I really don't remember.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Spa Project
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »
The delivered the spa shell today.  :aok

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »
rip,

I noticed the backhoe forks sitting there, is that what you had for the dig?

If so, and this is for anyone else that has experience and you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the dig alone.  

I have an above ground pool that I'm wanting to sink into the ground to open up my yard next spring and I'm wondering what I could expect to pay a contractor to do this.

The hole would be 16X30' and about 40' deep.

I'm planning on tearing my deck apart and opening up my yard a great deal.  I'm also toying with the idea of tearing my overhang down and turning it into a deck for the second floor.....french doors and all.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Spa Project
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 04:06:53 PM »
The jets are nice, but if you sit in front of one for too long the blood comes up to the surface of your skin, and you itch like crazy. Similar to vibrating massagers you can get at walgreens.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Spa Project
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
The jets are nice, but if you sit in front of one for too long the blood comes up to the surface of your skin, and you itch like crazy. Similar to vibrating massagers you can get at walgreens.

That's why I chose a spa rather than a hot tub. A spa jet is there to circulate (hot) water.

Guns, it was all part of the bid, no idea what a dig would cost but you could probably rent a backhoe and DIY.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger

This for a pool or a missle silo?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 06:46:05 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
rip,

I noticed the backhoe forks sitting there, is that what you had for the dig?

If so, and this is for anyone else that has experience and you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the dig alone.  

I have an above ground pool that I'm wanting to sink into the ground to open up my yard next spring and I'm wondering what I could expect to pay a contractor to do this.

I'm planning on tearing my deck apart and opening up my yard a great deal.  I'm also toying with the idea of tearing my overhang down and turning it into a deck for the second floor.....french doors and all.

With an old R.S. Means, using adjustment factors, I estimate the excavation alone will cost 10grand - 15 grand, somewhere in the neighborhood of 12.

If I head back to the library tonight, I'll grab a newer copy and check the costs.

The real killer, which you would not expect, is that any hole dug deeper then the average man's height needs to be cut at an angle of 1:1 so as to keep the workers safe.  This alone triples the volume that would be taken out of the hole.

Holden is right in that the value of 40' deep seems wrong.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 06:49:02 PM »
my bad..... 16x30' oval shaped and 40-50" deep.  NOT 40'.  I"m not buidling a bomb shelter.  sorry was typing on a laptop.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 06:54:10 PM »
Well, then roughly 625-700, likely at 670.  I do have to stop by the library again, I'll try to remember to grab a current value.

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Spa Project
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
With an old R.S. Means, using adjustment factors, I estimate the excavation alone will cost 10grand - 15 grand, somewhere in the neighborhood of 12.

If I head back to the library tonight, I'll grab a newer copy and check the costs.

The real killer, which you would not expect, is that any hole dug deeper then the average man's height needs to be cut at an angle of 1:1 so as to keep the workers safe.  This alone triples the volume that would be taken out of the hole

Holden is right in that the value of 40' deep seems wrong.

I'm not saying that wouldn't be safer, but in Southwest FL I never saw a pool builder overdig to that extent.  Common practice is to TRY to dig just wide enough  to get the down boards in.  Walls sometimes collapse while digging but the crew is usually off to the side watching, except for the guy who hops in occasionally with a transit or to set the wellpoint.  

Generally the newer residential pools here are only 6'-6.5 finished depth though.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2007, 07:19:45 PM »
6' or so is around the limit at which they need to start cut backs.

We weren't talking about a 5' hole, we were talking about a 40' deep hole.  It was a typo, but 40' definitely needs a 1:1 angle of repose.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »
Well, after grabbing some current numbers, assuming a wheel based Backhoe, it'll cost between $213 and $275.  

That's also assuming I didn't mess up calculating the area of an ellipse this second time around.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Spa Project
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2007, 08:37:03 PM »
Question for those of you who have had a spa for more then a year.

How much use does yours get by you?
Just about everyone I know who has or had one did the same thing.
they got it. Used it alot for the first few months to a year. then after a year or so it gets used less and less by them and more by visitors and the kids.

Im not tryingot mock.
Just saying what I've seen.

The only one I know of that still consistantly uses theirs is the son of an owner who plays alot of sports.

Everyone else its become more of an orniment. And something for company to use when they come over.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty