Author Topic: DVD to mediabox  (Read 180 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
DVD to mediabox
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:48:07 AM »
Hello all.
In a state of frustration, I bought a mediabox. HD with some OS and a remote control, to store family pics, family videos, and possibly films.
You see, I have a ton of DVD's, many of which contain children films, and my kids are destroying them one after the other, as well as some DVD players have been slain by infant hands. (Notably the "drawer" can easily be put out of allignment by surprizingly little hands)
So, I have 2 questions.

1. I am looking for software (freeware) that can convert/move my DVD's to my media box. I have only found "freeware" that later on promts me for a cc number so far.
2. Am I really breaking the law there? I am trying to get away from buying Cinderella 10 times over, if you see what I mean. So, I prefer to use the digital streaming from my box rather than buyin DVD's all the time, as well as generations of crappy players.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
Dunno about laws in Iceland, but here you can make as many copies as you wan t for personal use. I doubt its any different on your island so o would not worry.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:22:33 AM »
TY.
Well, I have all the originals, but I thought it would be some international thingie or whatever.
But what software?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:30:49 AM »
Sorry dunno about the software, but as long as you have the original movies you are safe.

Software: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Use something like dvd shrink and autogk to convert them to divx

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:28:56 PM »
checked out dvd shrink, it was promoted as freeware, but in phase 2 it wanted a cc number :mad:

divx? is that a common format? Maybe better than i.e. .avi?

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
checked out dvd shrink, it was promoted as freeware, but in phase 2 it wanted a cc number :mad:

DVD Shrink is absolutely free, always has been...

Just go to original dvdshrink.org.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »
Make sure your media box is capable of playing DIVX and XVID formats.  Yes those are just AVIs and shrink a 2 hour to around a 700MB (give or take) file.

If size isn't an issue that you can use a program like DVD Decryptor to create an ISO file wich most new media players read.  

I say who cares if you are breaking the law.  If you bought the DVDs than there shouldn't (morally) be anything wrong with storing them digitally.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 02:05:11 PM »
Originally posted by Angus

DIVX is one of the most common formats out there, just make sure that your box can read it.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
DVD to mediabox
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
AVI is a 'container' protocol. The actual content of an AVI can be encoded in a number of different formats - DIV-X and XVID being popular.