• Last.FM Profile
Re: 30mm
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:42:23 PM »
Originally posted by TEUTONIC
What is the trick with these?
WHats you convergence?
Do you aim high for lob?

Thanks in advance

The trick is getting close. The 30mm MK 108 has a wicked trajectory.

Convergence varies from player to player. I have my 30mm set at D200
If you have convergence that close, you have to aim high and lob if your target is far away.
But if you would have your convergence set to a distance like D600, you would actually have to aim below your enemy when shooting at very close distances.

Play around in offline mode or in Training Arena with different ranges & convergences using the .target dot command

(type ".target 400" into your radio buffer, and a huge target will appear north of you that will keep a steady distance of 400 yards from you)

And read more about gunnery, convergence & practice at http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
30mm
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
The muzzle velocity is quite a bit slower compaired to the 20mm Hispano, or a machine gun round.  Which means you need to lead more for it.  

One way you can practice with finding the correct lead is start the game in offline mode.  Goto clipboard>options>arena setup>environment>arena settings>flight mode flags, and enable the lead computed gunsite.  Once enabled you can select a target drone by pressing the tab key, and + signs will appear showing the correct lead for each type of guns you have.

The lead computed site is also enabled in the training arena.  You need to press ctl-tab to enable it to work on friendly planes.

Finally, you can also use the .target command to experiment with the convergence settings.  

.target 400
will make a target panel appear due north of your plane at a constant 400 yards distance.  Change the number for different distances, and set the distance to zero when you want to get rid of it.

Convergence also effects the elevation the guns fire at.  In the case of a nose mounted cannon, this means you have the option of setting the convergence longer than you would for wing guns to make up for a slower velocity round.

Offline TUXC

• Copper Member
30mm
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 10:54:56 PM »
Convergence no farther than 300, and most who are proficient with the 30mm probably have theirs set to 200-250. Anything further out and you'll end up lobbing shells over close targets. Get in really close before opening fire (200 or less). One hit is all you need for fighters and about 5 hits in the same general area will take down a heavy bomber. You can open fire a bit farther out on non-maneuvering targets like bombers, but still 400 or less.

"I opened fire only when the whole windshield was black with the enemy...at minimum range...it doesn't matter what your angle is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."
-Erich Hartmann
Tuxc123

JG11

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
30mm
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »
Foiled again by the Lusche post because I got distracted with other things before posting :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
30mm
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 11:23:50 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Foiled again by the Lusche post because I got distracted with other things before posting :)

Your post has additional info and is better worded :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TEUTONIC

• Zinc Member
      • JG11 Sonder Staffel
30mm
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 11:43:13 PM »
lol ty fellas. I did the off line thing for only 10min and already feel an improvement.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
30mm
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:14:44 AM »
I can't seem to get the .target command to work, also can't get the tracers on/off  to work properly. any ideas?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
30mm
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:06:46 AM »
The target is always north of you, so you wont see it unless you are flying north.  

As far as tracers, what can't you get working?  

Regarding the 30mm... get incredibly close.  As in.... 100 meters or less if you can manage.  It is tough to miss when you are that close.  I generally fly so close to my target that the stuff that flies off the plane when it gets hit runs into my plane.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
30mm
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
being north is not the problem. just to make sure I am, doing this right , you head north and put   .target400 in the radio buffer and hit enter thats it

the problem with the tracers is I cannot turn them off
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:56:49 PM by flatiron1 »

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
30mm
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »
Originally posted by flatiron1
being north is not the problem. just to make sure I am, doing this right , you head north and put   .target400 in the radio buffer and hit enter thats it

the problem with the tracers is I cannot turn them off

remember to put space between .target and 400 as in: .target 400

When you have deselected tracers, try to exit arena and then re-enter.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
30mm
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »
Umm, if you're already flying with tracers loaded, and select "no tracers", you have to start a brand new sortie for that to take effect.  (you're stuck with whatever you selected before you spawned a sortie)

Offline TEUTONIC

• Zinc Member
      • JG11 Sonder Staffel
30mm
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 05:52:59 PM »
Thanks all for the help, lead comp sight helped out a bunch

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
30mm
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 09:44:43 PM »
i knew it had to be something simple in both cases thanks a lot.