Author Topic: post if yu are 50 or older  (Read 16161 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2007, 09:56:37 AM »
How about this one ...

SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo
The Show of Shows

The Milton Berle Show

The Lucky Strike Hit Parade

The Gale Storm Show

The Gillette Friday Night Fights

The Real McCoys

Topper

The Citizens Choice

The Life of Riley  (with William Bendix of course)

Growing up on Long Island in the 1950s and 60s, shows unique to New York City were great fun. Little kids all watched Ding Dong School with Miss Francis. We also had Soupy Sales and the Sandy Becker show. Afternoons included Popeye cartoons hosted by Captain Jack McCarthy, the Three Stooges hosted by Officer Joe Bolton and Laurel & Hardy hosted by Chuck McCann.

My favorite Saturday morning cartoon show was Crusader Rabbit; "run for the roundhouse Nellie, they'll never corner you there!"

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2007, 10:11:41 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
"run for the roundhouse Nellie, they'll never corner you there!"

:rofl ... classic ... how about Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Majors

• Copper Member
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »
Hi Mates

ET will remember, as well as some of the others.

I was a very lucky kid, I was in grammar (elementary school) during WWII at Pensacola, FL.  Dad was in charge of advanced air training (Capt) and took me flying in everything they had including PBY, PBM, SNJ, Stearman, SBD, Kingfisher, and some others.  What a blast.  Got me hooked on flying.

Anyway, we went home to Memphis in 1946.  Back then coke came in a bottle for a nickle, gay meant happy and fun, weed was something you dug up in the front yard.

Security at our house was the hook on the screen door, everyone left the keys in the cars in the driveways and on saturdays, we went to the movies that cost me a quarter.  15 cents to get in, a nickle each for popcorn and a coke.  Double feature with 10 cartoons, plus Buck Rogers serials.  Left my bike out front with no locks.  Summers were hot, how did we live with just the attic fan.  When the polio vaccine came out they gave it to us at school on a sugar cube.  No one got sick. No one sued the school board.

The family retired to the sunroom after dinner to listen to the radio shows mentioned above.  I recall our first TV we got in 1952.  Had about a 11 inch screen.  We used to watch the test pattern and then the static to see if we could see something else.  I got my first color TV when I was in the Army in 1964.  By the way, everyone served their country back then.  You did two years either after high school or after college.  Everybody was a veteran.  Did my time during the sixties over there, nobody ever spit on me though.

No problems with the Plege of Allegiance, hand over heart for the National Anthem, a little prayer before class in school.  Also, no problem with the principal giving you a little taste of a canoe paddle if you really screwed up.

Talk about memories coming back.  Now with 6 grand children, three children, one of whom, my son,  is a Major in the Army (Blackhawk driver), having done Afganistan and Iraq.  A Long time has past but I know I have been a very lucky person to have lived during the very best times in the USA.

Being disabled, if has been my pleasure to participate with all these young furballers since back in 1996 in Warbirds and coming over to AH with the beta.  Made some good friends up here.  Met a bunch of my squaddies in England, and we get together over there from time to time.  I fly with the Brits as we can get together in the afternoon.  I go to bed early these days.  

Not much good in AH, but I do have a good time.  Hats off to all you young whippersnappers (does that mean something bad now, please don't call the ACLU).  Some of the things you say and do literally crack me up.  Keep it up.

Cheers and check six all the time.

Majors
249 RAF
Oldest Yank in the RAF

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2007, 10:31:30 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
:rofl ... classic ... how about Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans ?

Yep, was great stuff. In the 60's, the Captain Crunch (cereal) character was modeled on Captain Kangaroo, just like the Flintstones were modeled on the Honeymooners.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2007, 11:02:01 AM »
How about that moment when they slammed that "under God" into the Pledge, and even in your little child's mind, you first recognized political cynicism?

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2007, 12:34:25 PM »
Originally posted by TEShaw
How about that moment when they slammed that "under God" into the Pledge, and even in your little child's mind, you first recognized political cynicism?

Ever notice how all these school shootings, and assorted problems, started after they chased God out of the place. Weve had some gang riots in our schools that are right out of "Escape from NewYork.

Im glad Im old enough to remember a better time. A time when kids were raised in the church and to obey Gods laws. Thats the problem with a lot of people today. They dont believe they will one day have to answer for what they do, and there aint going to be any slick lawyers around to answer for them.

The '60s were a simpler time to be a kid. A better time. We were raised to respect our elders thats for sure. And our parents were people who worked for everything and never complained. They were better then us, that WW-ll generation. They were a far stronger generation then we are.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2007, 01:19:01 PM »
Another difference between the 50s and 60s' now.

(Your Mother)  Get out of the house!  Play outside!  We played baseball basketball or football until it got to dark to see.  We snuck into ponds at night when sleeping out so we could do some night fishing!  Hunting nightcrawlers with a flashlight to find them.  Once you spotted them with the flashlight you had to remember where the nightcrawler was.  Reason if you left the light on him he would vanish into his hole.  So you'd spot. get light off the crawler and as quickly as you could from memory grab it!

Sleeping out?  LOL to todays generation that means in a Motel:aok  We'd get a group of guys with sleeping bags and just sleep in someones yard knowing full well we weren't going to sleep until we dropped.  Raid gardens or go fishing in a local bass pond was the norm for sleeping out.

Hey guys!  The Townsend Ave guys have challenged us to a baseball game tomorrow.  I said yes!  We are to meet them in the field next to Carls house.  Bring whatever you can find we'll need some bases.

(Baseball wrapped completely with electrical tape because the cover gave up three weeks ago, a few bats, some with nails in them to hold them together, and if you didn't have a glove it was ok we shared.)
- The Flying Circus -

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2007, 04:37:48 PM »
Originally posted by Hajo
Another difference between the 50s and 60s' now.

(Your Mother)  Get out of the house!  Play outside!  We played baseball basketball or football until it got to dark to see.  We snuck into ponds at night when sleeping out so we could do some night fishing!  Hunting nightcrawlers with a flashlight to find them.  Once you spotted them with the flashlight you had to remember where the nightcrawler was.  Reason if you left the light on him he would vanish into his hole.  So you'd spot. get light off the crawler and as quickly as you could from memory grab it!

Sleeping out?  LOL to todays generation that means in a Motel:aok  We'd get a group of guys with sleeping bags and just sleep in someones yard knowing full well we weren't going to sleep until we dropped.  Raid gardens or go fishing in a local bass pond was the norm for sleeping out.

Hey guys!  The Townsend Ave guys have challenged us to a baseball game tomorrow.  I said yes!  We are to meet them in the field next to Carls house.  Bring whatever you can find we'll need some bases.

(Baseball wrapped completely with electrical tape because the cover gave up three weeks ago, a few bats, some with nails in them to hold them together, and if you didn't have a glove it was ok we shared.)

Did we live in the same neighborhood ? ...  :lol

Get out of the house!  Play outside!

Hellz yeah ... else they found some "chore" for you to do. They never saw me from 7am 'til 5 pm for sure.

Raid gardens ...

We NEVER went hungry in our neighborhood during the summer. We use to go downtown to the local market and by those minature Mortan's Salt shakers and carry them in our pocket ... ya never knew when you were gonna run into a GARDEN FRESH tomato.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
Originally posted by Majors
Hi Mates

, weed was something you dug up in the front yard.

:rofl :rofl  Salutte old man!

storch

« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Did we live in the same neighborhood ? ...  :lol

Get out of the house!  Play outside!

Hellz yeah ... else they found some "chore" for you to do. They never saw me from 7am 'til 5 pm for sure.

Raid gardens ...

We NEVER went hungry in our neighborhood during the summer. We use to go downtown to the local market and by those minature Mortan's Salt shakers and carry them in our pocket ... ya never knew when you were gonna run into a GARDEN FRESH tomato.
or take rocksalt in the bellybutton stealing watermelons

Offline Majors

• Copper Member
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2007, 09:03:02 AM »
Hi Storch

You were lucky, Rock Salt??  The guy we used to swipe watermelons from shot dried beans.  Talk about hurt!!

Think kids can run the 100 fast now with a football?  Should have seen us with a watermelon under each arm and beans flying everywhere!!

Great times, for sure.

Cheers

Majors

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
1/15/58
I have a few days left until the BIG 50.

Do we get a discount from HiTech with an AARP Card?

Mac

storch

« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2007, 09:28:35 AM »
dried beans!!!! yikes did they break the fabric on the jeans?  the rock salt didn't but you sure got dusted.  lol ya we ran like devils too.  there was nothing sweeter than them watermelons though.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:30:40 AM by storch »

Offline swoose

• Copper Member
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2007, 02:06:39 PM »
Ever notice how all these school shootings, and assorted problems, started after they chased God out of the place. Weve had some gang riots in our schools that are right out of "Escape from NewYork.

They took God out of the schools and replaced him with the deputy sheriff and metal detectors.
:(
Swoose