Author Topic: Lose a flap..lose control?  (Read 606 times)

Offline chancevought

• Copper Member
Lose a flap..lose control?
« on: November 17, 2007, 04:41:58 AM »
Is this a glitch?...if not, can someone explain how this is possible...:

Lost a single flap in a NiK....right flap gone...left flap not extended...And this was the only damage to any flight surface...Losing this flap made the right wing lift violently...no way to keep it under control...

Now Ive lost flaps before w/ no effect, but a couple times i have had this effect in NiK's.  Now, common sense would say that losing wing surface would reduce lift...this would actually make the left wing rise if the right wing had less lift? right?  

This stumps me how:
 1) losing a flap would create such massive instability....
 2) in the opposite direction one would expect it.

Thanks for input....but this is not a riddle, so please no deep in-depth explanations how warp-drive works or if you used a belt sander mounted on a table to test the theory....(anyone remember plane on a conveyor belt?)..Thanx!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 05:04:13 AM »
Do you like Gladiator movies?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 05:27:49 AM »
I believe the flap was stuck in an extended position from the damage.

The extended flap created more lift on the wing.

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »
I have had this happen to me before.  It was a few years ago, I had lowered my flaps two notches during a dog fight, only to get shot up by the zekes wingman. I lost my left flap, I was so slow and still really heavy with fuel, at around 20K in a Jug. The plane entered a spin, I did everything I could do to try to straighten her out. She just wouldn't work with me. I ended up popping silk around 3K feet, once I knew there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »
The plane  model doesn't show the exact flap damage type.
So basically if you were at one notch and your right flap was destroyed, it's stuck in that position even though in the model, it's blown off. Same goes for every other postion.
I wish they would fix this.
The solution if you were at a full flap setting, is to raise your working flap to the same setting as the damaged (missing  one), and RTB. :lol
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Lose a flap..lose control?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »
Originally posted by chancevought

Lost a single flap in a NiK....right flap gone...left flap not extended...And this was the only damage to any flight surface...Losing this flap made the right wing lift violently...no way to keep it under control...

Now Ive lost flaps before w/ no effect, but a couple times i have had this effect in NiK's.  Now, common sense would say that losing wing surface would reduce lift...this would actually make the left wing rise if the right wing had less lift? right?  

This stumps me how:

Thanks for input....but this is not a riddle, so please no deep in-depth explanations how warp-drive works or if you used a belt sander mounted on a table to test the theory....(anyone remember plane on a conveyor belt?)..Thanx!

Result of a crappy flap damage model.  Flaps that are blown off are treated as though they are stuck in their last position.  The easiest way to counter it is to keep your flaps lowered to the last position and you won't have the counter the negative effects of the damaged flap.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »
As already stated...
    When a flap is fatally damaged...
  • graphically it "falls off" of the plane.
  • physically (as far as the flight model is concerned), the flap is jammed in its last undamaged position, and still affects the flight model.

This has been brought to HTC's attention a number of times.  The lack of HTC feedback seems to indicate they modeled it that way intentionally for unstated reasons.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »
its a N1k.

Losing your hyperdrive stabilizer is a bad thing mmkay.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »
There's some weirdness with flaps in this simulation.

They seem to produce WAY more drag and not much lift.

Not an expert.

T. E. Shaw

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »
Try a Corsair.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
Originally posted by TEShaw
There's some weirdness with flaps in this simulation.

They seem to produce WAY more drag and not much lift.

Not an expert.

T. E. Shaw

Depends on the plane and the flap system used.  Flaps on P-38 generate a good amount of lift, enough that you can loop endlessy by just using the flaps.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
Re: Lose a flap..lose control?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 07:39:17 PM »
Originally posted by chancevought

This stumps me how:

The damage model does not technicly REMOVE the flap, it will show it falling off your plane visually, however it actually JAMS into that position, so depending on where your flap was when it was jamed is the affect it will have on your plane.

If your flap takes a hit when it is fully lowered then u must keep the other one lowered to counter it, if u raise it it could send your plane into a spin.

Opposite if u lose a flap while its up, do not lower flaps to try to land or likewise.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Flaps
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 09:28:44 AM »
It seems to model the flap down....just drop the other flap.  I have used this and regained (albeit slow and ponderous) control.  Enough to fly home.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline chancevought

• Copper Member
SWEEET!!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
Thanks guys...That was exactly what i needed to know...now I can respond to that situation properly.  It doesn't make sense for a flap thats not there to generate the same lift as if it was there, but now that I know, I can deal with it.  I hope they aren't fixin it because they are sooo busy gettin CT ready....Love the game, glad to be back....Salute

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 04:27:39 PM »
Been there for 4 years I think.  Maybe now that we have tips on the log in screen it will get fixed.  Then again :rolleyes:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.