Author Topic: Elementary education for squeakers  (Read 7301 times)

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Elementary education for squeakers
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 08:29:36 PM »
Skuzzy, He needs a PNG AND a spelling lesson...

Teen Squelch Hack now on sale for 1.98!

Regards,
Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
Originally posted by raider73
thats how i type i say wut instead of what and lol. Also do alot of short words like when i say peace meaning bye for all you old guys u type it Pce and such i say nothin not nothing. And i get yelled at in class for using Gona instead of going to. but i get better grade in spanish lol B+:aok

That's how I type; I say 'wut' instead of 'what' and lol. Also do a lot of short words like when I say peace, meaning 'bye for all you old guy's, you type it 'pce' and such I say 'nothin', not 'nothing'. I get yelled at in class for using 'gonna' instead of 'going to'. But I get better grades in Spanish lol B+ :aok

That took me all of 3 minutes, it would have probably taken me less time but I had to decode what you actually said. It isn't really that hard to type properly.
I don't really mind the lack of apostrophies (sp?) and minor grammatical/spelling errors, but when people don't even try, it gets annoying.

Spanish? Pfft. Im acing German.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2007, 08:50:10 PM »
There is a simple reason to use proper grammar and spelling. Since we all play Aces High I'll use it as an example. How many times to you see a thread that is plagued with misspellings, improper grammar and the works get taken seriously? Chances are they never are because if you can't display your idea in an organized, clean fashion, it's going to find its way to the drain pretty fast.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 09:09:15 PM »
^hooray!^
He nailed it right there!
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Online thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »
11000101110101001110010101111 10101010010111!

Damn, I can't spell or punctuate in that language either.

Morse code, anyone?
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline raider73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2007, 09:21:10 PM »
I'm just not as smart as most people in english. The reason is because I don't try as hard as I should. I'm better with numbers then with grammar. The reason could be that i started to drink A little when I was 12. I only drink on New Years, and 4th of July. But I don't like to ask teachers for help becuase then it feels like people will laugh. That could be my problem that i don't look for help or ask. I'm not really sure what it is with grammar and me. When i try i'll actually do much better. I don't try often but when I do I get a good grade on the subject, i just don't have restrictions and punishments. Also no parental vision at home so I do what I please. I'm slowly getting more responsible but I'm 14 so it may take a couple years. I only try in the classes that i want to do good in, which should be all my classes but only classes I try in are Team Sports(gym), Math, Science, and Spanish.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »
I'm just not as smart as most people in english. The reason is because I don't try as hard as I should. I'm better with numbers then with grammar. The reason could be that i started to drink A little when I was 12. I only drink on New Years, and 4th of July. But I don't like to ask teachers for help becuase then it feels like people will laugh. That could be my problem that i don't look for help or ask. I'm not really sure what it is with grammar and me. When i try i'll actually do much better. I don't try often but when I do I get a good grade on the subject, i just don't have restrictions and punishments. Also no parental vision at home so I do what I please. I'm slowly getting more responsible but I'm 14 so it may take a couple years. I only try in the classes that i want to do good in, which should be all my classes but only classes I try in are Team Sports(gym), Math, Science, and Spanish.

If your passing english at all, you should be able to form a coherent sentence. Which you dont, most of the time.
I honestly dont try in any of my classes, but I still ace all of them (well, not this quarter, didnt do enough homework. I usually do just enough homework to get by, then ace tests... but I only got like 85's on my tests... so... yeah...) but thats just me. Learning has come naturally and easy for me, mainly because I always enjoy broadening my knowledge on various subjects (which has brought me to war/history, which is by far most interesting, and ultimately to Aces High). So there you go. If your passing 8th grade or highschool english, you have no excuse to not be able to form coherent sentences.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »
Originally posted by AirFlyer
Don't group as all together. It never seemed to be a problem for me and I'm only 16. Then again I blame cellphones, no means of typing should be done with just thumbs. :rofl
You're in the group.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 09:54:37 PM »
You're lazy.   Stop making excuses for yourself and learn the language you speak.  

Work on paragraphs then move on to punctuation.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 10:37:25 PM »
thats how i type i say wut instead of what and lol. Also do alot of short words like when i say peace meaning bye for all you old guys u type it Pce and such i say nothin not nothing. And i get yelled at in class for using Gona instead of going to. but i get better grade in spanish lol B+:aok

Typing like a complete tard on the internet is like showering once a month and dressing like a hobo in real life. People will not look beyond it and why should they? If you don't care enough about yourself and what you have to say to present it in a fairly decent manner, we won't care about you or what you have to say.

we are not asking for perfect English. Just be coherent, and firefox has a built in spell checker...use it.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2007, 10:44:11 PM »
I'm 12 and just have good spelling habits!

Regards,
Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2007, 12:35:01 AM »
The reason could be that i started to drink A little when I was 12. I only drink on New Years, and 4th of July.
But I don't like to ask teachers for help becuase then it feels like people will laugh.

Hmmm. I see you've got the mandatory "I blame the booze" answer down pat already, great opening.
The only DUMB question is the one that goes unasked, I'd rather ask a dumb question than make a REALLY dumb mistake any day!
There is no point playing the lazy card either.
I was so damn lazy in class I passed with top marks in pretty much everything, I was too damn lazy to fail. Bugger doing it again.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »
I have a hard time sitting here while a teenager acts flippant about his education, especially when it revolves around his lack of desire to communicate on an intelligent level.  Writing is so easy when compared to the rest of the topics you will cover in your education.  Poor grammar is inexcusable, but add to that the excuses and the weak justifications and all it does is demonstrate just how foolish you are.  Don't you dare try and pass your poor English skills off on anything but your own academic laziness.  You seem like a smart kid who is just acting stupid.

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »
While I do agree that spelling and punctuation can be important and I believe they have taken a real down turn in todays world, I don't think that they are the do all and end all...    

Take my dad as an example. He holds 3 degrees, 1 in weather that being his job in the Air Force. One in Geology and was in that field for over 20 years and has graduated at the top of his class a couple years ago in nursing and now has a job with the state.  Now to some of you I'll bet a degree in nursing dosn't sound like much but have seen the work he had to do in those classes most of it I couldn't possibly understand and to come in top of his class at 57 years old I think was a great show of his intelligence.

How ever he has to be one of the worst users of spelling, punctuation and grammar that I know, me coming in a close second :).  He's constantly asking my mom how to spell things and we keep correcting his constant use of the word them, as in "Them things" :)  

If employers base to much of their decision to hire someone on the fact that they arn't great at spelling, punctuation or grammar I think they could be missing out on some of the most intellegent and well quallified people for the position being offered.

Another point I have is when I read a book or what have you I totally ignor all the punctuation in the thing. I don't need a . at the end of a scentance to tell me that is the end of what someone is saying or an ! to tell me someone in the story is excited or yelling or the ? to tell me they are asking a question. To tell the truth I don't even see them when I read. It's kinda like listening to someone speak, when people talk they don't say period, exclamation point and question mark after everything they say.   For me it's just common scence to know these things when I read. Though I do belive that others seem to rely on these to tell them things that I understand without them. I think it's just a difference in the way people think.

Well these are my thoughts on the matter and mind you I'm in no way saying that these things shouldn't be tought...   You may now poke fun at my spelling, punctuation and grammar. :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:55:05 AM by Flayed1 »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline raider73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2007, 01:26:47 PM »
yes TxMom i do act stupid on purpose. I do it because it makes people laugh not at me. i'm a class clown and i just am lazy