Author Topic: Superfly & Natedog...I have an ideer...  (Read 484 times)

Hans

Superfly & Natedog...I have an ideer...
« on: February 12, 2000, 08:33:00 PM »
In anticipation of a Historical Arena someday I have a suggestion that might help with the eventual argument about icons.

I didn't invent this idea.  I got it from the old flightsim "Aces over the Pacific".  It had low resolution graphics, but I could tell which plane was enemy even at long range by their color.  Its one of the reasons I liked AotP over Aces over Europe.  AoE had both side's aircraft painted similar and made identification dificult.

Would it be possible to color the low-detailed, long distance models of the various aircraft a certain color?  Maybe even the super distant dots?

German = Dark Grey
British = Dark Brown
American = Drab Green or White (late-war, unpainted)
American Navy = Dark Blue
Japanese = Light green
Russian = Light grey
Italian = Light Brown

Its just a thought, though I am sure I have just opened a huge can of worms here for everyone to argue about now.  The famous Icon debate.

Hans.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 02-12-2000).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2000, 08:47:00 PM »
well I hated the little red dots when that bug was being hunted.  Im not opposed to your suggestion.  It should be thought upon, but Im not having any issues along these lines at the moment.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2000, 12:30:00 AM »
i already though of this. made a post about it about 2 weeks ago. PYRO wrote back and said that we have some good ideas so we might be seeing something like this soon

RWY

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2000, 07:10:00 AM »
IMO, this would be a very bad idea.  Any scheme that makes some icons/dots/whatever more (or less) visible than others is a bad one.  This is what happened in brand WB.  The purple icons were much harder (for me) to see, than the red or other colors.  This gave purps a built-in advantage.

I REALLY like the way AH icons are done now, with good visibility for both friendly and enemy icons.  The only thing better would be to give players the ability to adjust the icons colors to suit their own monitor/eyesight/etc.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline lakc

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.concentric.net/~lakec
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2000, 09:10:00 AM »
Exactly, Popeye. I cant tell a green icon from a brown one, and cant see either against the ground. Couldnt see the purp icons over water, or the red icons over land. In AH I cant see the red icons below me, not until we get some water.
It may sound ugly to you guys but alternating letter colors of pink to yellow would probably help me the most. If we could  change each letter in an icon to a different color in some kind of strobing effect, even I couldnt miss it.  

------------------
Lake City
-lakc-