Author Topic: Re-Run of Stalins 4th  (Read 3221 times)

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Re-Run of Stalins 4th
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:56:53 PM »
You think it would be possible Brooke? That scenario looked like a good one, would be a lot of fun to try and run again. Maybe give us sometime for pearl and such to be done. :)

Regards,
Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Re-Run of Stalins 4th
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
You will not see Stalins 4th for a while, it was just run last year.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Re-Run of Stalins 4th
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »
My bad, i thought this was run 2-3 years ago. Still looks like it'd be fun...

Regards,
Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Redlegs

• Silver Member
Re-Run of Stalins 4th
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:21:25 PM »
Would be better with more VVS planes.
Resident Arizona Cardinals/Cincinnati Reds fan

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Re-Run of Stalins 4th
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 07:33:49 AM »
Karelia terrain is currently out of order. Kanttori is rebuilding and updating it.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Re-Run of Stalins 4th
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:56 PM »
I'm sure we'll run Stalin's Fourth again -- just not sure when.  I had a lot of fun in that one.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 06:16:20 AM »
I don't know why, but 1 hour long epic drive was something I'll never forget.Definitely the best scenario i have ever been in.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:03:12 AM »
Even though such long drive may have been memorable ( :) ) some fundamental changes must be made to the rules to encourage fights instead of capturing empty bases, to ensure more equal time in air and more equal ground responsibility for everyone, and to shift the emphasis slightly more from ground to air action.

In any case, I have often heard that S's4th succeeded at least occasionally in creating the real confusion and panic of war and some feeling of being there :)
It can be made better though. It has been run only once and we should be able to learn from the initial mistakes.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »
Man I missed that one!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »
We have P-39s now...  :aok  ;)
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Re-Run of Stalins 4th
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
S4th was novel in that something like that had never been done for a scenario before. It worked, but there were so many problems (especially map versions being updated every other practice!!!) that I wouldn't want to do it again.

Also, as nice as the terrain looked, it gave even folks with decent systems spasms. I could run any other map in the game just fine at the time, but Karelia gave me 5-10 FPS (less in GVs).

On top of that, I bit the bullet and did my part by rolling T34s and M3s, but I really really don't want to do that in a scenario. If it's just a special mission (i.e. just a select number for base capture) I'm more than happy to do it, but GVs for 50% of all players for the duration of 2 separate frames had taken their toll by the end of the event. I won't forget it, but after the novelty wears off, how many are going to sign up to repeat this scenario? I'd skip it personally.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 02:13:25 PM »
Krusty,
I'd like to remind you that the GV heavy approach was not a requisition, but a decision made by the red command team.
The fact that it was possible is one of the glitches in the rules, caused by several other minor issues including e.g. V-bases' impotent defense vs. GVs and lack of live opposition. Like I mentioned above, the rules and the setup would need to be adjusted to a more air action oriented direction.
Also the scenario took place 2 years ago (IIRC). AH2 has developed further since just like players' computers have in general. I would not rush to rule out using Karelia terrain and modified Stalin's Fourth rules some day for another scenario.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »
I don't think the computer resources needed for Stalin's Fourth would currently be a big deal either.  As BlauK mentioned, that was two years ago.  An $80 graphics card today is like one of the better ones from two years ago.

As for the GV aspect, I am thinking some new thoughts (after a discussion with Roscoroo the other day on this topic).  Previously, my opinion was that most AH players don't like GV's and thus that scenarios (usually) should not have GV's, should minimize use of GV's, or at least should have rules that enforce rotation and ensure limited time for any given player in GV's.

However, Roo pointed out that there are a fair number of GV'ers these days in AH.  On any given night, you can find a fair number of people in GV's; and when the map with Tank Town is up, there are lots of GV'ers.  My thought now is that we might be able to have scenarios where the GV role is one people register for -- and those who register for GV's are the ones who will be in them, not people who register for aircraft and who don't want to be in GV's.

I must say that, prior to Stalin's Fourth, I had no desire to be in GV's.  I was willing to do it to help out, but I really wanted to be in aircraft.  However! -- I had an absolute blast in GV's in Stalin's Fourth and would be willing to play it again being in GV's the whole time!  For me, it was a very, very fun scenario.

So, maybe we have the player base now that would allow sign up for dedicated GV'ers.  If not, then I think we can put in rules that enforce rotation and guarantee that players will only spend a limited time in GV's.

Offline 71313

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
Hate i missed this one ,i dont mind doing the GV thing its all a part of war :aok :aok
handle the business,before the business handles you

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 10:15:06 PM »
How far away is a working version of the map, anyway?
veni, vidi, vulchi.