Author Topic: And the 2008 Car of the year is...  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
And the 2008 Car of the year is...
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »

Best car ever.   My opinion of course.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2007, 12:41:46 AM »
Originally posted by clerick
No it isn't!  It's a freakin' doorstop with wheels.

no.

that is a doorstop with wheels.

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2007, 12:47:56 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
The VW Fox is in the same size category as the Prius, and it comes with a 1.2L or 1.4L turbo diesel (plus an assortment of petrol and multifuel engines).  

Unfortunately, the FOX is not an option for those of us living here in the USA.  For some reason, VW is not importing and selling that car here.   I wish such diesel autos were available for sale here.

My daughter recently had such a horrific experience with numerous mechanical problems with her VW new Beetle ( it was her 1st car ), that I doubt that anyone in our family will ever consider buying a VW product again.  It was purchased used, and no one had checked the Consumer Reports reliability data on that model and year car.  And that is something that every savvy consumer should do, when buying a used car.

Many VW cars being sold in North America are now being manufactured in a factory in Puebla, Mexico, and I am rather skeptical of how good the quality of cars coming out of it are.

SIG 220

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2007, 01:00:42 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I suppose Sig220 is looking to give me a reason to ban him from the board.  The use of overly large type would be a good way to do it.

I certainly do not want any trouble anywhere online, including this forum.  I have no desire to break any rules here, or get into any disputes with you or any other administrators.

I had no idea that there was a rule against larger type until I read this post by you here tonight.

As I mentioned to another member who commented about it, I only did so due to  the age of my eyes, and the eyestrain I often suffer from when using my PC.

Now that I know about the rule, I will naturally not use a larger font ever again.  If you felt that my using the font was some kind of attempt to "shout" on the forum, I want to fully assure you that was not at all my desire or aim.

I'm really sorry about this whole matter, and will do my utmost to prevent any further problems of this or any other nature.

Lance

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2007, 01:15:37 AM »
Originally posted by SIG220
Unfortunately, the FOX is not an option for those of us living here in the USA.  For some reason, VW is not importing and selling that car here.   I wish such diesel autos were available for sale here.

My daughter recently had such a horrific experience with numerous mechanical problems with her VW new Beetle ( it was her 1st car ), that I doubt that anyone in our family will ever consider buying a VW product again.  It was purchased used, and no one had checked the Consumer Reports reliability data on that model and year car.  And that is something that every savvy consumer should do, when buying a used car.

Many VW cars being sold in North America are now being manufactured in a factory in Puebla, Mexico, and I am rather skeptical of how good the quality of cars coming out of it are.

SIG 220

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My Rabbit was built in Wolfsburg and I love her.

This is what I would get if they imported them. I shall covet one of my neighbors on my next trip home in aprilPolo GTI Cup edition
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:21:16 AM by Pooh21 »
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2007, 01:40:24 AM »
Well, I just read this thread top to bottom in 15 minutes....

And here is what I think...

The CTS looks like it rolled out of a **** factory.  It looks like every other pseudo performance sedan GM has tried to push out as a Cadillac in the last ten years.  And based on my prior GM experience I wouldn't buy it on a bet.

With regard to the Mileage, and eco-cruiser discussion that Sig started... Well, I cast my vote when I bought my '06 Dodge Charger R/T.  I have a five mile commute, economy was not a motivator.

With regard to the Chevy/Ford discussion.  You're both wrong :-)  The Charger outperforms DiabloTx's old F-body on highway milage and I'm 80% certain I'd get the better slip at the track too.  Meanwhile its quieter, and more comfortable than any F-body I've ever met (and I used to sell Pontiac).

Ford... Ford just makes me giggle.  Ford is a shadow of what it once was, and I hated what they 'once was'.. They're only worse now.  I don't know what kind of voodoo keeps that brand alive.  They haven't done anything good since 1968.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:44:43 AM by Kurt »
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2007, 01:45:47 AM »
Originally posted by Pooh21

My Rabbit was built in Wolfsburg and I love her.

This is what I would get if they imported them. I shall covet one of my neighbors on my next trip home in aprilPolo GTI Cup edition

Well, German auto workers make about 10 times the salary of the VW workers in Mexico.  

To me, there is something that is just inherently wrong about a VW that is not made in Germany.

However, US automakers are now setting up factories in Mexico too.  Everyone is playing follow the leader these days, when it comes to globalization.

SIG 220

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2007, 03:18:04 AM »
Ford... Ford just makes me giggle. Ford is a shadow of what it once was, and I hated what they 'once was'.. They're only worse now. I don't know what kind of voodoo keeps that brand alive. They haven't done anything good since 1968.

ford u.s threw in the performance towel back in the early 70's when they killed off the only real performance orientated mass produced cheby kill'n small block they had.. the 351 cleveland.

the cleveland is not dead though. the aussies kept stamping them out right up into the 80's. so at least in oz and nz there's still plenty of rebuildable core engines for propelling racers and streeters, and with a healthy aftermarket industry especially in quality heads and intakes  (not edelcrap), combined with the current popularity for stroking the clevo to 383, 393 or 408 cubes the cleveland is back to pissing all over chebbies :)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2007, 07:15:18 AM »
I thought so Sig, just asking.  Like I said in my last post, both MS Windows' whole interface and whatever browser you're using most likely have a way to change their font sizes instantly.
Give it a try..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2007, 07:57:44 AM »
You brand X fan bois really make me laugh.
1st I'll state right off I'm a mopar fan. However I can appreciate other brands products.
Lets see ford gave up in the early 70's ehh. So did the other manufacturers, so much so my beloved mopar needed to be bailed out because of it.

However in 82' with the return of the GT mustang performance started a comeback. Say what you want fan bois but this car with a 302  2bbl , killed the Z28 350 4bbl.  
Now think about some of the performance stuff ford has built since then. The mustang probably is the cheapest/easiest to get bang for your buck from. How about the mercury marauder, or the lightning. How about any of the svo/svt line up. Hell Ford took the most grandma car going and turned it into (IMHO) one of the nastiest American performance sedans built. The Taurus SHO.

As for the GM brands. They were content making vanilla performance rides until ford woke them up. Hell try and buy an 83 corvette. You can't, sad when your icon  of performance is shelved for a year. But fortunately the camaro/firebird started to get some teeth back.
Gm also made some great stuff. The GNX, Impala ss and of course todays Corvette.

Mopar died in 74, it tried to make a comeback in the 80s with the Shelby line.
But hotted out econo boxes weren't  so popular back then.
 Now mopar has some decent stuff. Well, except for the fact it's all but impossible to get a stick in the top perf models.

I'm a car guy first then a brand guy. They all have made some great stuff and they all have made some true crap.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:11:59 AM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »
Man....the exterior of that Caddy is butt-ugly!

This is what a proper car should look like:

...or this:

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »
Cars and of course car makers ebb and flow with time.  There are times that one is on top and within a decade they are on the bottom.  The be loyal to one brand is foolish, i take a certain twisted pleasure in poking fun at the "brand guys."  I think that poopooing a car because it was made by Ford or by Chevy or by, whomever, is short sighted and people that think like that are missing out on some great machines.

To those that say Ford cant produce performance vehicles, you need to look no further then the current Mustangs and the upcoming twin force motors, including the new SHO Taurus.  And you can't forget the Ferrari killer GT.  There are advantages to owning companies like Aston Martin, Volvo, Mazda Land Rover et.c.

As For GM, they used to be the American performance brand, but they squandered that title years ago.  With the exception of the corvette and a few minor projects here and there they haven't really lived up to that, and thats what i don't like about them at the moment, their vision is gone.  Looking at current cars and future cars, they have nothing that ignites that spark like they did 30 years ago.  They have become reactive to other automakers instead of proactive.  Now would be a good time to shake things up.  GM controls Saab and  Subaru use them!  

My stable is extremely diverse.  I have fun, practical and luxerious...

Volvo 780.  Hand-built in Italy for Volvo.  Now with a 350HP 302 under the hood.

Audi 4000 Quattro.  So much fun i hate having to sell it :cry

Bland but functional and almost 200,000 miles on it.

Fairly diverse.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »
what exactly does "Hand-built " mean?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2007, 11:25:32 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
what exactly does "Hand-built " mean?
They were designed and hand built by Carrozzeria Bertone, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:32:00 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2007, 11:31:38 AM »
Originally posted by clerick
Now would be a good time to shake things up.  GM controls Saab and  Subaru, use them!
GM pissed Saab off a few years back over the now produced 9-7x.   When Saab was purchased they were told that it would be a similar acquisition as when Ford bought Volvo.   Ford did the smart thing for once; "don't fix what isn't broken" and let Volvo do it's own thing.    GM on the other hand, did the opposite over this vehicle.   Saab wanted a non-GM platform, but GM demanded the TrailBlazer platform (with the hideous coffee can muffler).    Saab still isn't thrilled about GM to this day.

Subaru is being bought slowly by Toyota I believe.    GM is in worse shape than Ford is, but GM hides it's financial BS better.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC