Author Topic: Urgent question re monitor and video card  (Read 316 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Urgent question re monitor and video card
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:44:06 AM »
Here are my current system specs:

Base System: Pentium4 Processor 550 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB) (MP348L)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, English (WPXP)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM Hard Drive: 320GB SATA RAID 0(striping)
Video Card: 256MB PCI-E x16 ATI X800 XT
Optical Device: Single Drive: 16x DVD+/-RW Drive
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS w/DVD audio
Speakers: Dell A425 Speakers w/Subwoofer
Network Adapter: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Diskette Drive: Floppy Drive,3.5,1.44MB
Modem: 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Mouse: Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse  (SM)
Keyboard: Dell Wireless Keyboard/Mse

I am going to buy either the Dell, HP or Samsung 30 inch monitor.

Trouble is my video card does not have dual DVI-D inputs which will therefore not allow the monitor to display the native resolution of 2500 X 1600.

So, I need to upgarde my video card.

I really need some help.  Any recommendations?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »
What are your power supply specs?

Offline CptHowdy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
A friend at work just bought this from Newegg and couldn't be happier:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150173

As far as the monitor selection goes,, Part of my responsibilities at work is hardware provisioning.  We were initially hard contracted to buy just HP products but we can now buy whatever.  I bought 25  HP 24" LCD's last year and at present about 10 of them have some weird screen damage. It's not burn in from programs or icons but ,,well imagine if you were to dip a blank piece of paper into a tray of coffee and the hold it upright.  You can still see the desktop alright but it's very blotchy.  I suspect it's heat damage as these aren't vented well at the top and that is where the damage is.  So, I'm not too fired up about HP monitors at present.

I've recently ordered about 8 24" monitors from Samsung and at present couldn't be happier.  The clarity is pretty impressive.

I've never owned or worked with a Dell so I have no opinion.

Good luck with your decision.
Luck had nothing to do with it. Neither did skill. I really have no idea what did have to do with it. What was the question again?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
Originally posted by Irwink!
What are your power supply specs?

Hmmm...not sure.  I'll look at my emails.

I have been leaning towards the Samsung monitor and given the comments about HP monitors I think the choice is Dell or Samsung.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 12:29:50 PM »
Honestly, if you want to 'game' at high resolutions, get the 640mb GTS at least.  The 320mb is great for 1280x1024 stuff and at those resolutions it matches the 640's performance.  At larger resolutions is where the 640mb version excels.  If you're serious about gaming at or above 1600, at least a 640mb GTS or I would reommend a GTX.

Otherwise, if your budget doesn't allow it, you don't game that much, or you plan on gaming at lower resolutions, the 320mb GTS or the 8800GT are the best values.

Dell and Samsung make some of the best large scale LCDs.  Depending on size and price, its a toss up.  I use 24" Dell's at work and my buddy has a 22" Samsung, both very nice.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
Re: Urgent question re monitor and video card
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:59:05 PM »
Originally posted by Curval

Trouble is my video card does not have dual DVI-D inputs which will therefore not allow the monitor to display the native resolution of 2500 X 1600.

So, I need to upgarde my video card.

I really need some help.  Any recommendations?

You don't need 2 X DVI ports to get dual link.

All you need is videocard which supports dual link,  you should check your card specs.

I have sold lots of HP 30" displays and I can recommend it. I think it is best selling 30" display here .
I am a spy!

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
You have a card with a DVI-D output- that second 'D' stands for 'Dual', as in 'Dual Link'. So it will run your 30" monitor.

Whether or not it will mange games at playable frame rates is another matter.