Author Topic: GV questions  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
GV questions
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:16:05 AM »
I kinda get the Gvs in the game. At least how to operate them. But how are they used? In regards to spawns and whatnot?

Can you take out a GV and then click the spawn arrow to get near an enemy base? How are the sights used in tanks? Are the levels on the sights used for distance? Any info on the GV war would be appreciated cause I think I need to branch out from bombers.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
GV questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:29:58 AM »
Turn on vehicle spawns on your map.  Clicking the right selection to spawn brings you to that spawn point (which may be near an enemy field).

The horizontal cross hairs are used for ranging.  Use zoom when you are in the turret.  Also make sure to select the right types of rounds using the backspace key before firing.  Take a shot, make note of the crosshair and adjust on the next shot if you were short or long.

When driving you can move into any gun position and turn using your rudder control.

I'm sure there's a lot more info in the help section and the trainers site.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
GV questions
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:38:34 AM »
As far as I know, you have to chose the spawn direction from the tower map before you go out.

Look at the spawn point arrows on the map to choose the one that you want, then click the appropriate button just like choosing a takeoff direction.

Choosing H spawns you in the hangar at your own airfield or vbase.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
GV questions
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
Here is a good place to start http://www.netaces.org/vehicles/vehicles.htm

Anything to get you out of bombers..
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
GV questions
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 05:56:51 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help. Sorry i was away from this thread for so long but I forgot I posted it.

Yesterday there were several times when a bunch of us "Rooks" jumped into Osties when one of our bases was being heavily attacked. I aint going to say we were the ones responsible for beating back the hoards, "our own fighters did their share", but having 5 to 10 guys jump into Osties is a ver effective technique for taking away the initiative from the attacking side. Or, at least it appears to be.

Like I said Im new to GVs. Im also assuming this is why, during base capture Ops, the VH is a high priority target. Right?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
GV questions
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 01:43:21 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Im also assuming this is why, during base capture Ops, the VH is a high priority target. Right?

Yep.  Not only to keep Osties and M-16's off the field but to keep GV's in general out of the town.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
GV questions
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 04:25:59 PM »
How long does it take to drive a GV to a town? I assume the Sherman would be the fastest tank right? And once in the town you'd want to be inshooting distance of the map room correct? Thanks.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
GV questions
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 04:34:48 PM »
How long does it take to drive a GV to a town? I assume the Sherman would be the fastest tank right? And once in the town you'd want to be inshooting distance of the map room correct? Thanks.

T34 is fastest, I think. But it has no pintle gun, though you could use the coax (alt fire button in turret) and hull gun to get rid of troops.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
GV questions
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 04:41:46 PM »
Wellllll...getting technical, the M8 is the fastest "tank". (light tank :D )

T34 is next fastest.
Then I THINK the M4 is a wee bit faster than the panzer, then comes the tiger.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
GV questions
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 04:58:43 PM »

It probably takes 5 minutes or so.  No biggie.  T-34 is the fastest of the heavy armor (35 mph vs 25 in most other heavies... light armor is faster still).

Where you want to be depends on why you're there.  If it's to protect the maproom then you're right.  Sometimes it's to protect the town itself so being on the perimiter facing the enemy spawn is more advantageous.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
GV questions
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 08:55:38 AM »
Originally posted by SpikesX
Wellllll...getting technical, the M8 is the fastest "tank". (light tank :D )

T34 is next fastest.
Then I THINK the M4 is a wee bit faster than the panzer, then comes the tiger.
The Tiger is "faster" in some instances as it will climb steep hills better.  The T34 and M8 are dogs when it comes to hill climbs.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
I don't know about that...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 09:23:55 PM »
I haven't done a lot of gv'ing, at least until recently, but seems to me the M8 is hands down the fastest tank. I tried one the other day and I believe I was going around 50mph, or faster. Never came close to that in any other tank.

They seem to be thin skinned, though. I've tracked them and killed them from my trusty Nikki, unlike other tank type vehicles. Still, if I need to get somewhere fast- to defend a town, for instance- my choice would be the M8 or M16.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: I don't know about that...
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 07:13:45 AM »
Originally posted by xtyger
I haven't done a lot of gv'ing, at least until recently, but seems to me the M8 is hands down the fastest tank. I tried one the other day and I believe I was going around 50mph, or faster. Never came close to that in any other tank.

They seem to be thin skinned, though. I've tracked them and killed them from my trusty Nikki, unlike other tank type vehicles. Still, if I need to get somewhere fast- to defend a town, for instance- my choice would be the M8 or M16.
The M8 is very fast, but against a main battle tank (T34, M4, Panzer, Tiger) or Osti, you will have a tough time.  While you can take out some of those mentioned, it takes lots of hits in the right place.

As a list ditch effort when the need for speed is necessary, I would opt for a T34.  It's slower than an M8, but has the punch to get the job done.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
GV questions
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 08:36:10 AM »
Greetings,

Okay, I can stay silent no longer.  M-8 is not a tank.  Its got tires!  It is an armored car - A recon vehicle.

It wasn't designed to fight tanks, it was designed to find them, report their location and get the heck out-a-there.  The cannon and MG were for self defense as you reposition to a better observation position.

Regards,

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
Re: I don't know about that...
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 09:38:09 AM »
Originally posted by xtyger

Find a steep hill and put the tank in N when driving on it. I've gotten tanks going atleast 100MPH. It's easy to flip a tank this way though, but it can get you around faster if it's needed.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil