Author Topic: Upcoming Event Thoughts.  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »
I really like the idea of a Pacific Campaign style of setup.
4 Frames, and each frame determines what happens in the next frame.

Let's say the First Frame starts up as the Battle of Midway.  4 Japanese Carriers against 3 U.S. Carriers.

Depending on the results of the battle, the next Frame will have different kinds of action.

So on that thought, what happens in Frame 1 is extremely important.
What do we do depending on what happens, though?
What if the American fleet is annihilated? :(
- The the island of Midway is taken, the Japanese regroup their forces and prepare for an attack on Pearl Harbor.
- The Americans will gather whatever ships possible, up to and including CV's in repair and able to realistically make it to a meeting battle.
- American fleet elements would then form up to attempt to halt the Japanese fleet as it advances towards Pearl.

This leads to a Frame 2 with an open-water head-on clash between the survivors of Midway+Whatever the Marines and Navy can manage and the Japanese attacking force.
What if the American fleet is again annihilated? :cry
- Then the Americans retreate to Pearl Harbor, Army, Marine, and Naval air units are sent in frantically to defend, additional fleet forces that couldn't arrive in time prepare to defend Pearl Harbor.

This leads to Frame 3, the second attack of Pearl Harbor.  Japanese forces advancing in a seemingly unstoppable onslaught against whatver the Americans can hurl at them.
What if the American forces are again annihilated?:furious
- Then Frame 4 will once again be an open-water battle, as reserve carriers and new carriers are marshalled off the coast of California, a hastily readied force determined to halt the Japanese and push them back to Pearl.

Frame 4, the last resort:  Japanese forces are facing the last of American Naval strength in the Pacific.
What if the American's are again annihilated? :O   Then the Japanese win, duh! Well played Yamamoto.

And similar could be drawn up for the American side.  This is of course examples of the extreme, as DGS showed if both sides are organized and lead well it will be a difficult contest to show who won each frame and the overall design of the next frame will be very interesting to come up with.

Overall player organizations will remain the same, ie:  Joe, Fred, and Bob are in VMF-XXX onboard the Yorktown in Frame 1, they all get shot down and the Yorktown sinks, since they're dead and their carrier is sunk they'll simply be airmen on a different carrier, say Lexington in Frame two.

If the battle is a draw in Frame 1, then the remaining forces will be augmented by reserves drawn up and maybe even strengthened and Frame 2 will be the same area but with different tactics, techniques, more/less forces.  If in Frame 2 All the U.S. Carriers are sunk but land-based reinforcing fighters/bombers manage to stave off the Japanese Invasion force, then further reinforced land-based forces could hold out for the siege of Midway while Carrier reserves are foced to move in from long range.  Which could lead to an interesting defensive battle, how to allocate the players to either the Midway defense force, or as many with the Carriers steaming en route as possible, in order to catch the Japanese in the midst of fighting the Midway defenders and surprise them.

All in all this could be a really freaking cool scenario.

But seriously, however this goes, I really really really really really want to command a Carrier TF.   Please :D

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »
This event wont be as complex as a multi frame change up like you described Hoffman, but when Peal terrain is complete, I am considering a multi frame, multi map event.

Open with Frame 1 Pearl, Frame 2 Aleutians, Frame 3 Midway type of thing.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 01:53:29 AM »
Is there any way to get in on helping to design the scenario?  Aside from this thread?

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 05:41:18 AM »
Good to see you and the Haze 100th FBG  over here MMMKKK. :)

Fellas, this is a long term  squadron thats been around as long as ours (450th) in WB's. Great bunch of flyers , and really grade A1 folks.

and welcome.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 05:44:45 AM by blkmgc »
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 10:26:50 PM »
Originally posted by ROC
This event wont be as complex as a multi frame change up like you described Hoffman, but when Peal terrain is complete, I am considering a multi frame, multi map event.

Mmmmm - PAC - Carriers . . .

And if it could be 4 frames that would be very kool.

Keep me in mind please.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 09:58:30 AM »
Originally posted by ROC

Now THAT I'd sign up for. Running it the way it's been done in the past? I'll pass.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 10:23:44 AM »
And if it could be 4 frames that would be very kool.

Of course, slip Coral Sea in there, and it's 4 :)
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline 68Lurch

• Copper Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »
I would definitely sign up for command of a ship or a gunners position. I think it would add a new dimension to a scenario in that you have to coordinate not only planes but a fleet of ships while anticipating what the enemy will be doing with his fleet. I think it would be a great addition and add to the realism  of the scenario.
Major Matt "68Lurch" Putnam
68th Lightning Lancers
Friday Night Squad Ops CM Team Member
FSO Rules

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »
Originally posted by 68Lurch
I would definitely sign up for command of a ship or a gunners position. I think it would add a new dimension to a scenario in that you have to coordinate not only planes but a fleet of ships while anticipating what the enemy will be doing with his fleet. I think it would be a great addition and add to the realism  of the scenario.

Agreed, I would glady love to be in this scenario if it was ever to happen to take place. Having individual ships being commanded by different players would add another type of stratedy to be implamented into the overall stratedy for each side.

That would be awesome if the SEA staff could pull this one off :aok !  Please keep me informed, i'll gladly help in anyway i can.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Question: What happens if the Japanese win the Coral Sea frame?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 01:15:44 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor
Question: What happens if the Japanese win the Coral Sea frame?

The fight is on for Port Morseby and on to Australia
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 01:47:03 AM »
Adds Australia to list of maps to build:p
Although that would be an interesting "hypothetical scenario."
The US had severe losses at Coral Sea and cannot provide aircraft carrier support as the Japanese plan to invade Australia.
RAAF vs IJAF early 1942.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
Just point me in the direction of an SBD and I'll hop in !
- The Flying Circus -

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 11:38:27 AM »
Doesn't matter where its at....If its a carrier scenario, you better believe VF-31 will be there in strength!!  

Tell us what plane ya want us in and the enemy will be destroyed!!

Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Upcoming Event Thoughts.
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
Holy hell, I've been skipping this thread thinking I'd just be in whatever's next, but this idea is the best yet.:eek:
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.