Author Topic: jeep with teeth  (Read 1442 times)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 02:38:17 AM »
Originally posted by Yossarian
by the time most GVers managed to get their guns pointed in the right direction to kill the jeep, it probably would have moved on or killed them with its 75mm

You seem to have little experience with the speed the T34 turret traverses.
Lets not forget that you'll also be shooting from a very unstable platform if you're moving.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 07:25:31 AM »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 09:40:41 AM »
all u need is a pinnacle gun to kill a jeep , the recoilless rifle is a line of sight weapon , i would like to see the guy that could fire that gun from that tippy jeep w/an extra 130 or so pounds setting in a very high center of gravity , i think you are just scared of what you don't understand  ,  a mild perk like the firefly would be in order

i do like the SAS variant too can we have both HT?  :aok
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 09:45:06 AM by 1redrum »
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
jeep with teeth
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 09:24:11 PM »
Anyone with a link / pic showing this was ever actually done as a "standard" vehicle for front line use?

Generally, "field modifications" are not included in AH.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline TUXC

• Copper Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
Generally, "field modifications" are not included in AH.

Isn't the B25C with the strafer nose a field mod? What is the Firefly considered technically? I'm assuming the 17 pounder was not fitted in the USA where the tanks were made. Were all those extra guns fitted to the PTs from the factory as well? I'm thinking the unwritten "no field mods rule" applies mainly to one time or rare field mods and not ones that were common and saw service in numbers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:01:09 PM by TUXC »
Tuxc123

JG11

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 08:00:52 PM »
Originally posted by TUXC
Isn't the B25C with the strafer nose a field mod? What is the Firefly considered technically? I'm assuming the 17 pounder was not fitted in the USA where the tanks were made. Were all those extra guns fitted to the PTs from the factory as well? I'm thinking the unwritten "no field mods rule" applies mainly to one time or rare field mods and not ones that were common and saw service in numbers.
I should have said "one-off or experimental" field modifications.  Others have pointed out where certain aircraft had experimental weapon configurations (gondolas and the like) that were never put into production / operational use.

The B-25 "field modifications" were so successful they were put into service and became "standard" configurations for several air units.  The Firefly was modified in British factories IIRC, and again they became a standard issue item in Brit tank brigades.  So, these are different than, say, wanting a Sherman with sandbags for augmented armor or a "bat bomb" that never saw service.

I fully admit I could be picking nits and/or remembering the rules incorrectly.

In the case of the jeep with the 75mm recoiless rifle -- I don't know, maybe there were such vehicles, or maybe the poster likes HUMMWVs with TOW missiles, and thinks there should be an equivalent in AH.  If there were such vehicles, it would be nice to learn more about them.  If someone is just saying "wouldn't it be cool if . . ." then I would have to say the request in all likelihood will never happen.

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 09:48:44 PM »
As a result of rapid advances in armor technology during WWII, infantry units and other lightly armed units were extremely vulnerable to armor attack. This spawned a demand for a weapon light enough to be carried by infantry units but powerful enough to be effective against armor at medium ranges. In 1943 the Ordnance Department Small Arms Division began development of the recoilless rifle. In 1944, the first pilot models of the 75MM recoilless rifle were being tested. In March of 1945, full production began and guns were delivered to the European as well as the Pacific theatre. The advantage of recoilless guns lies in their light weight and relatively high performance. Their light weight characteristic descends from the absence of a recoil when the weapon is fired. By design, the breach expels propellant gasses rearward thereby balancing the forces caused by the projectile accelerating out of the gun tube. This eliminates the need for heavy gun mounts which are a significant part of the weight of a typical artillery piece. A jeep or weapons carrier can easily carry the M20 recoilless rife using the standard M1917A1 .30 caliber machine gun tripod mount.

See U.S. Infantry Weapons of WWII by Bruce Canfield for more detailed information on recoilless guns.
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 11:21:44 PM »
Not sure how to read that.  The M20 used the same tripod mount as the .30 calibler machine gun.  A tripod mount is set on the ground to be fired.  The gun could be easily carried in a jeep as opposed to towed weapons of similar caliber.

To me it does NOT mean it was mounted on the jeep itself or fired from the jeep -- but it is worded in such a way that I suppose that is up for interpretation.

I've been doing a little searching myself, and can find pics and references to recoilless rifles being mounted on jeeps in Korea and after, but nothing on whether they were actually used that way in WWII.  And my limited attention span . . .

Oh, look, something shiney!

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 12:10:11 AM »
Here's a pic :)
9GIAP VVS RKKA
Fabricati diem, punc

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 12:16:44 AM »
And if that's not exciting enough for you... there was a Vespa scooter that mad one mounted on it as well!
http://modern-war.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_bazooka_vespa_in_combat
:huh
SYSTEM: LTARget landed 175 kills in a Vespa TAP of L.T.A.R. :rofl
9GIAP VVS RKKA
Fabricati diem, punc

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 04:37:50 AM »
9GIAP VVS RKKA
Fabricati diem, punc

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 05:00:37 AM »
LOL  that is the one and only scooter In the whole world that I want

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 07:16:04 PM »
Originally posted by SD67
Here's a pic :)
I found the same picture here.  Unfortunately, the caption says it was taken in Heilbronn, Germany, some time between 1951 and 1953 . . .

The earliest reference I was able to find the other night showed French forces with a jeep mounted 75mm RCL, but it was dated 1947.  :(

I think I read (could be faulty memory) the M20 only saw combat in Okinawa.  If anyone can find a pic of a Jeep mounted M20 with a pagoda in the background dated 1945, we'll have a winner.  

Very cool pic, though.  :aok

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 07:18:05 PM »
And if that's not exciting enough for you... there was a Vespa scooter that mad one mounted on it as well!
http://modern-war.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_bazooka_vespa_in_combat
:huh
SYSTEM: LTARget landed 175 kills in a Vespa TAP of L.T.A.R. :rofl
:rofl :rofl

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
jeep with teeth
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 02:45:22 AM »

Oh, GOD!   A must have, just for sheer comedic value.  LTAR's would love that thing.  They would change the engine noise to "Ride of the Valkyries", hell I would too.

I can see it now, country channel filling up with something like this
     "LTAR mission going to A-XX!!!"
     "How do you know it is the LTARs?"
     "Cause they are on those darn Vespas again, and they have ride of the valkyries blaring.":rofl :rofl :rofl