Author Topic: P-51d  (Read 739 times)

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
P-51d
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:12:20 PM »
what are other good tactics for the P-51D or B that isnt like only using ailerons and stuff like that cause they cant out run every one~~1plus44
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
P-51d
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:47:20 AM »
keep the pony fast. only turn perhaps 45 degrees flat at any given time. protracted turns in the pony are not good. 1 notch of flaps can help you, but chances are more than that are not appropriate for the situation. Don't fight in the vert at coequal E, use your saved E to dictate the fight. Don't fight in the horizontal, use your saved E to go vert if your enemy tries this. Sounds contradictory? Yup. It's all part of good pony'ing.

The most rewarding thing is saddling up when your enemy does not expect you to. Chances are you can get a good shot off. Your level of all or nothingness in getting this shot will depend in how much you trust your own shot.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
P-51d
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 06:45:37 AM »
dont over comit to a protracted fight in the pony if it becomes a turn fight make sure its in the high speed range where you can pretty much be equal or owning your oponent.

in a furball there is always anotehr target dont go after one and get draged low.
say if your climb out is 15k set a alt that you will not go below. say 4k
a pony will need at least 4k of alt to feel comfortable to escape climb back out and return.

id say dont go low unless the fight is that low and then stay fast and aware of any cons coming in higher, even if you keep your speed and cons start coming in high, look for an exit route that you can climb back up and come back with more or equal e.

i would not turn fight anyone at lower medium speeds unless i know i will absoulutly be alone with my oponent and can kill him and escape before other cons arive.
your not the best climber out there so you must extend and take the time to set up after blowing some e.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
P-51d
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:52:24 PM »
Learn how to handle her in a stall and how to turn her really slow, then u can turn with the thing.

I usually use 1 notch of flap when between 400-300 mph in a small turn, but when i exit the turn i reset my flap to a clean wing. i use 2 notches between 300-200 mph and the max flaps i can get below 200 mph.

Usually when u turn with it, only turn with 190's untill you really know how to fly her in a slow battle.

Convergence = 350 here.

Keep her in the vert.

WEP on when in a zoom, throttle closed when diving and when reversing.

Get used to keep changing the flaps tho, that really helps.

NEVER accept H/o's in a pony.

And i also recomment keeping her above 250 knts untill you know what to when in a slow battle.

Hope this helps.

Also, it can outrun much but not everything, Tempests, lala's and a 190D/109K can catch u while they have WEP on.

EDIT: 75% or 50%/DT is the usual loadout.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 06:55:21 PM by Mus51 »
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
P-51d
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:13:25 PM »
thank you guys im gonna try it when i play, lol i hope i dont accidentally shoot 1 of u guys down if ur not a bish :)
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
P-51d
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »
Originally posted by angelsandair
thank you guys im gonna try it when i play, lol i hope i dont accidentally shoot 1 of u guys down if ur not a bish :)

would not be much of an accident if you shot me down, more like i made some dumbazz mistake lol i usualy do.

if youd like i and you can catch me on holler at me ill go da or ta with you maybe fly along for a while if you want some pony help. im not the best and the last month or so ive been flying the p47 a lot.

ingame my name is marvin57 and i fly rooks, its been 478 days since my last drink.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
P-51d
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 02:22:26 PM »
Search is your friend ;).

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/f...referrerid=3699

Seriously though, best of luck in learning the Mustang!  Patience patience patience.  The learning curve in it is higher than some other planes because you can't solely rely on the Mustang's pure performance because it doesn't have much margin of advantage in raw turning or thrust-to-weight ratio compared to other aircraft.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:26:15 PM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
P-51d
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »
Tango,

Would you be so kind as to revist that link. It seems to have gotten mangled in translation.

Many thanks!

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
P-51d
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 07:14:10 PM »
Here ya go :).  Couldn't fix it in the thread.

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=210845&referrerid=3699

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)