Author Topic: Avengers Fighter sweep night  (Read 1109 times)

Offline raptor33

• Zinc Member
Avengers Fighter sweep night
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 06:18:53 AM »
I, for one, accept that explanation TC....just seemed different last night...but as Bear76 pointed oout....text does not always offer the meaning of what is being said. We are so used toi being criticized with sarcasm, much of what is said can be taken that way.
I accept fault for reading your post as sarcasm. I will give all the benefit of the doubt from hear on in. This was the second time I made the same mistake...I did it last night with Bear.
My apologies TC.......maybe you can I can wing sometime and I can grab some tips from you.
Raptor33

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
A lot of what might be seen as ganging IMO is all of us coming to a 1 on 1 not engaging but staying close to help if needed.I know a few times I was asked by Jar or Rap or whoever was close"are you ok ,need help?"I know Ive done it..stay close but not" in" the fight.

I know I will be attending the clinic,I might be getting used to this game,but anything to help get better at it I'll do.
*note* I did most of what you pointed out for multi cons TC in my 6v1 fight but film it!Man I wish I did..oh well,next time
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline hrdhrd

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 10:43:31 AM »
I have a 'real' pilot friend in the UK who was in the BoB and is still alive. Not for long I fear.
He was in a Hurricane most of the time and talks of ALWAYS flying in pairs with a wing man.
His Squad leader used to ground them if any of the squad broke the rule not staying with your wing man.
When I asked him about 2 on 1, 3 on one, he said the following:
"It was rare you found a solo pilot as the enemy had the same rule as us.
If you did see a solo pilot he was probably heading home because he lost his wingie.
Wether it was a simple kill or a difficult one, they always took them down so 2 on 1 was the rule of the day.
NEVER did they go 1 on 1 and the other guy sit and watch".

So there you have it! Simple rule. Fly in pairs, kill in pairs.

S! hrdhrd
~ The Avengers ~
Bomber Lead & Grunt Runner

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »
Originally posted by hrdhrd

So there you have it! Simple rule. Fly in pairs, kill in pairs.

S! hrdhrd

Right'o ol'boy HRD...Ive been beating that horse since we got here!For the most part its working..
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline raptor33

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 01:04:28 PM »
Originally posted by bkwolf
Right'o ol'boy HRD...Ive been beating that horse since we got here!For the most part its working..

I always wondered what the response of a flight leader in real life would be if he heard one of his pilots say "Joe is in a great 1v1 fight. I dont want to be accused of gangbanging so I will keep my alt and let Joe take care of buisness."
Curious.....all kidding aside...if I were to watch from above and see my wingman getting beat up, when is it appropriate for me to jump in? After he dies? If I jump in before he dies, is it considered gangbanging? If yes, then why have squads? In the AvA, taking bases is frowned upon and covering your squaddies butt is frowned upon....so why have squads? Furthermore, if I am not there to help my wingman, then why have a wingman? No offense, but much of the advice and criticism  I get from guys in the AvA is that the Avengers are clueless as it pertains to wingman tactics....but when we use them we are then accused of gangbanging.
Just a thought.
Raptor33

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 02:08:24 PM »
Originally posted by raptor33
I always wondered what the response of a flight leader in real life would be if he heard one of his pilots say "Joe is in a great 1v1 fight. I dont want to be accused of gangbanging so I will keep my alt and let Joe take care of buisness."
Curious.....all kidding aside...if I were to watch from above and see my wingman getting beat up, when is it appropriate for me to jump in? After he dies? If I jump in before he dies, is it considered gangbanging? If yes, then why have squads? In the AvA, taking bases is frowned upon and covering your squaddies butt is frowned upon....so why have squads? Furthermore, if I am not there to help my wingman, then why have a wingman? No offense, but much of the advice and criticism  I get from guys in the AvA is that the Avengers are clueless as it pertains to wingman tactics....but when we use them we are then accused of gangbanging.
Just a thought.
Raptor33

Well...a couple of things....

Plainly, this is not real life.  Some people like to fly it like it was real life (we had four of them last night, if memory serves), and that's fine, but the fact is that you don't die and so the need to ensure that you don't die really isn't there.  Many of us, if engaged in a good fight, would rather get shot down than have someone sneak in and pick the guy who is about to shoot us.  Many of us wouldn't, but I think most everyone wants the enemy to have a sporting chance.  That isn't real life, of course, but neither is this game.

Back in the Days of Old, and sometimes in the Days of New, when you had (or have) 30 or more people in the arena, wingman tactics worked just fine and lots of people used them.  But when the numbers are low, using those tactics ends up with 3 or more people chasing one guy.  The conclusion is usually not in doubt, and one or two such fights is often enough to make the one guy decide that he's had enough pummeling for an evening, so he leaves for the MAs.  And the numbers get lower.

You've put your finger on one of the problems we have in AvA, which is squad-related.  Squad members like to fly together.  That works fine in the MAs, where you have hundreds of people, but in a small arena you really need to have another squad, or at least a similar number of detached people, for balance.  The squads that regularly attend AvA have learned - as I'm pleased to hear the Avengers have learned - to have a few people switch sides to even things up until other people blow in.  When that happens, just say you'd like to switch back with your squad, and go ahead.

It all works out in the end, hopefully.

- oldman

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
Im right with you Rap.I think the whole thing is the way we do what we do.If im your wing IM going to cover your six..and shoot at anyone that is a threat to us.if your locked on a con and my job is to clear your six..thats what im going to do...if two or more Avengers happen to be there ..it might be seen as ganging.
Yeah its not RL but we try to fly like it is.My take was if its not squad night then whatever goes,if it is squad night 15 to 4....sucks to be you.
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
Some Squads will spilt
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 09:03:10 PM »
If your squad has some great sticks, you should split your squad to train, there is nothing more humbling to get tail feathers handed back to you by likes of Storch, Tbarone, Kong, Wildesau, etc. It may smart awhile but when you actually have a good fight and send one down in flames  You feel like a million bucks!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »
Originally posted by bkwolf
Yeah its not RL but we try to fly like it is.My take was if its not squad night then whatever goes,if it is squad night 15 to 4....sucks to be you.

15 vs 4 turns to 15 vs 0. Sucks to be you.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 09:32:53 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27

Not when your flying agenst the avengers. A 15v4 only means that one of your buddies will get 3kills and the rest all get 4.:aok
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 02:37:06 PM »
Ya know...after reading this thread I am confused. I have only been in here for a week and am not familiar with the planes setups. I use to be a pretty fair stik in warbirds but rather suck in here for now. REPEAT "For Now".

But when I fly for 15 min to reach the cons just to have 1 shoot me dwn in 10 secs why wouldn't I want a wingman to help me. Besides I keep reading about people wanting a historical arena. What's more historical than the will to suvive?

In my eyes I do not see anything wrong with what is being done. And trust me I have been jumped by 2 or 3 or4 at times also and I am still trying to learn how to fly all over again. There are some skillful stiks in here. An yes I do get very upset when I can't out manv the cons. But no matter how mad I get it just makes me want to get better that much more.

As stated in a previous post....when I die it is my fault one way or the other(except for rams). I am gonig to rectify this problem by going to TA and dieing plenty more times. But for long I will rise to the top and still take my beatings as they come.

I do love flying with my squad "The Avengers" but I also am in there for the excitement of the KILLS. I am a true fighter jocky...I want that kill :)

This was not ment to offend anyone or criticize.....just haven't posted in here before and stating where I stood.

The Dog

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 10:32:18 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27

In any fighter it sucks to be me
:D
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 10:42:04 PM »
:lol