Author Topic: SysMem vrs VidMem  (Read 300 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
SysMem vrs VidMem
« on: December 12, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
I have 512 VidMem (Nvidia7series) and 1 gig SysMem DDR.

Im running max res and when I fly over those darned green tiles of forrest my fps gets a little chunky.  Just enough to interfere with my game.

I love the HiRes but I want to eliminate the chunky fps.  Would another two gigs of SysMem likely do the trick?  Or should I invest in more VidMem?

Many tanks!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
SysMem vrs VidMem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:39:46 PM »
We'd need to know the system specs you have before being able to answer in a helpful way. Sometimes more RAM helps, sometimes it won't.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
SysMem vrs VidMem
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
We'd need to know the system specs you have before being able to answer in a helpful way. Sometimes more RAM helps, sometimes it won't.

Ditto.  RAM is very very cheap right now.  Depending on your setup, you can get an extra gig for less than $40.  Depends on DDR2, and if you're running dual channel etc.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
SysMem vrs VidMem
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »
Video RAM isn't going to help.. 512 is more than sufficient.. besides usually you can only upgrade Video ram by buying a new card.

I would go with another GB of system memory, and go from there.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
SysMem vrs VidMem
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »
Like the boys said, we need more info. I wouldn't rush out and buy more memory just yet. 1 GB is likely enough for an XP system assuming you aren't trying to run too many other things at the same time.

Firstly, what processor are you running? That may well be your bottleneck.

7 Series graphics cards vary widely in performance - do you know which model you have?

Also, what resolution are you running your monitor at?

Cheers
Wooley