Author Topic: What causes warping?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
What causes warping?
« on: December 04, 2007, 08:33:10 PM »
I had a LaLa come in tonight and he was warping so bad I was almost helpless to stop him. Is this my computer? His computer? The server? The amount of people on-line? What causes such warping?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Jack16

• Nickel Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:02:33 PM »
The way you can find out if your warping is to look at all the other players you come across and see it they warp. If not, then your fine. If it's the other player thats warping, you can again... look at all the other players and if they arent warping, it's the other player.

Warping is do to an issue in internet connection. The higher the png, the worse the internet connection the player has and the more warping there will be.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
What causes warping?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:09:52 PM »
Originally posted by Jack16
The higher the png, the worse the internet connection the player has and the more warping that will come as the cause.

This is not correct.
Internet related warping is caused by a bad quality connection. This is not indicated by ping time. If your connection is steady & stable it doesn't matter if you have a ping of 50, 150 (like me) or 250ms, you won't warp. If packets get lost on the way, or start to arrive with really great & varying delays, the trouble starts....

That being said, warping can also origin from the player's computer itself, not only internet connection trouble. His system may just have run out of resources - a virus scanner starting a run, bad power management set up, bad drivers, running out of system memory, too many processes and many more.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:12:12 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Jack16

• Nickel Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:22:13 PM »
Thnx for correcting me Lusche. I thought that because in another game i play, i would warp in this one map and have a png of 600. the png would jump around and start at like 60 then end up in the 200s then 600s then back down to the 100s. once i had a 999 png:O which was completely random. the lower the png i had the less lagging i had. The lagging would get so bad, i'd just randomly fall over and die and no one has killed me.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:45:28 PM »
Right click the map and pick Net Status.

The top bar, Variance, should be flat.

If you see a heart beat monitor lookin' contant spikes, same one over and over, that's something firin' off on your compouter.  (anti-virus, spyware, Windows Update (geez turn that pig off), or any number of things)

You know, that's the only one I know actually...  What does a jaggedy ish line all over the place mean?  No rhyme/reason...  hmmm...

Anyway, if you see a warper, and you check your net stats and the variance is FLAT, then it's probably not you.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:21:48 AM »
I don't think variance will always be perfectly flat. Some very small sawtoothing is normal, just no spiking.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:55:43 PM »
Well it wasnt me then causing I have a fast computer that always clocks flat on net status and it has plenty of power, ram, a solid connection, and I have ram bleeders shut down in my game mode.

Warping, or others warping, hasn't been a very big issue with me cause mostly I see it while in a GV with a lot of airplanes around. This is the first time I can say it actually affected he outcome of a fight.

I forget who it was but i did post on 200, "normally Im the first to but you were warping so bad there was no way I could hit you". No hard feelings cause I get breaks that come my way too and luck tends to even out. I was just wondering if the ping time, or amount of players, had something to do with it.

Thanks for the responses.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »
Keep in mind latency (aka lag) and warping DO tend to go hand in hand.

Yes it is true.. latency itself will not cause lag, but high latency usually goes along with a poor, unstable connection.  I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of the time someone experiencing a 600ms ping time is also going to be experiencing packet losses and huge amounts of variance.

A stable dial-up connection shouldn't even exceed 250ms.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:47:26 PM »
Until tonight I was convinced the occasional warping I encountered was the "other guys" computer. Now Im not so sure.

I got shot up by Seano , expereinced a warp, and he swears his system is lean and mean and now Im starting to think this warping pattern I'm coming across is my own computer. Especially since I learned tonight there are issues with Comcast.

Its a fairly new dual core with 2 gigs ram, a pretty hot video card, and monster power supply. I skuzzified my vista profile and have background clutter pretty much shut down. I always thought my connection was pretty solid and flat.

Is there anything more I can do?

Thank you.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 11:24:44 PM »
Rich right click on the map and select "net status".

Your Variance graph (top) should be a nice and smooth horizontal line with very little or no spiking.  If you see any spikes, then this is when you are warping.

Your Host Queue Graph (bottom) should be a small square wave pattern, about between 0 and 100.  A bit of difference in square wave patterns is normal, but if you see drop outs or spiking, again this is when you are warping.

If you see no spiking, then the problem most likely isn't you.

Another way to test this is to fly with a bunch of other people.  If you see only one of them warping around, it's them, not you.  When you warp it'll look all of them are warping around.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
What causes warping?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »
Not sure if I'm still on his "ignore list" or not, but .......

Download a free program called "pingplotter" install it, type in the HTC server address ( found in the sticky at the top of the technical support page) and ping the address.

Run it for about 15 minutes pinging every 10 seconds or so. Try different times of day, at least try it during prime time. Post a screen shot of it here, or mail to Skuzzy to take a look.

Your looking for packet loss, good luck

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 11:28:46 AM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Until tonight I was convinced the occasional warping I encountered was the "other guys" computer. Now Im not so sure.

You warping bastage!

Does that get me on the famous ignore list?

;)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
What causes warping?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
You warping bastage!

Does that get me on the famous ignore list?

;)

I didn't know it was famous.:D  More like "infamous" when you look at the ones on it. For instance Fugitive.

Thats the thing Tigger my graph has always been flat. Mostly I see warps around areas with a lot of airplanes or a lot of action.

When I first started the game I always had control issues when flying with a lot of airplanes. That and I had this reoccurring problem of bombing short. When I followed Skuzzys Vista optimization program all these issues disappeared.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
What causes warping?
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »
Semi-related topic:  How lag affects Aces High

Warping can be caused anywhere along the nodes between you, HTC, and HTC to another player.  If there are more than two players around, it is usually pretty easy to tell if the problem lies with yourself or another player.  If it is your connection/or pc, you see everyone warp in syncronization.  If you have a couple players in view, and only one is warping, the problem is on their end.

As stated, varience is more important than delay when it comes to warping.