Author Topic: Twisty, Pedal or Keyboard  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Twisty, Pedal or Keyboard
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 05:26:17 PM »
Gorkle, you're pretty handy with that hardware! I'm curious how you separated the inputs for the different hat directions. Last time I opened mine up I think it was rather unclear.

You ever think about making a frankenstein with the ergonomics of a logitech but the accuracy of a saitek or a MS Prec pro? Basically you'd have to swap the pots and figure out how to jam the electronics into it.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 07:08:16 PM »
Thrustmaster Fox2 Pro twisty stick.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »
I've probably used 20 twisty sticks in the last 12 years, couplpe months ago went to CH stick/pedals, never been happier---pedals ALSO have added advantage of being able to make slight course adjustments of tank while in main gun
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline denada

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2007, 08:02:17 PM »
I use a Saitek Aviator. It's a twisty stick with dual throttles. I also built a USB device I call the Main-Gauche. Main-Gauche is literally "left hand" in French, and was the name for a left-handed dagger used mostly for defense in fencing. My Main-Gauche has 8 analog axes and two buttons. I was going to use this to control rudder, throttle, RPMs, etc with the various dials, but the Aviator is more intuitive for me. So I just use the Main-Gauche for trims.

The USB chip is inexpensive and can be found at http://www.aqza37.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/index.html.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Saitek's are better that CH's?

for me, yes.. having tried both I foun d them much more confortable..

adjustable pedal size, removable heel rests, adjustable tension than can be set with your feet on the fly.. I love mine to death..

but I would bet that people who are used to CH stuff would like their CH peds better just for the fact that they are accustomed to them..  but that hardly makes them better (or worse)..

it really comes down to personal preference and budget in the end..

if you go with either CH or Saitek though, you didnt pick the "wrong" ones as both sets are really really good.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 11:18:03 PM »
Twisty

~AoM~

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2007, 01:05:39 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I'm curious how you separated the inputs for the different hat directions.

The hat is just 4 switches on a small board, all facing each other. You simply unsolder the switches, and run a pair of wires for each out to your own switches. You don't need to understand anything about electronics - it's just soldering and wires.

Denada has the right idea, buying a USB unit with e.g. 8 axes and 32 switches. No need to scavange old sticks any more.

Offline Jaxxon

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2007, 01:26:20 AM »
Thrustmaster Cougar with NXT mod and TM Elite pedals. Hall sensors .
The stick is 6 years old, the rudders are older, the mods about 2 years. Hats and other switches still work well, the original pots and gimbles are in a box, just in case :-)
Does this all help me fly better? Good question. I couldn't see myself fly with less than a full HOTAS.
"I had found the one thing I loved above all others, to me it wasn't a bussiness or a profession, but a wonderful game".
WA Bishop

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
I had TM pedals in the mid 90's for stuff like MSFS, Falcon 3.0.. Never really did care for them, very awkward to use while sitting in an executive swivel chair at a conference table.. Uncomfortable sitting with my feet stickin out in front like some sort of weirdo.. maybe with a custom cockpit setup theyd be more ergonomic..  (or maybe it was the nature of those TM pedals, they were like 2 feet apart)

when I started in AH last year I just got a twisty.... quite odd to get used to at first, but now, second nature..  and I can put my feet wherever I wish.

definately agree you NEED rudder in this game.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
For desktop flight sims you can get away with a stick and a keyboard.

In AH....Pedals all the way!

I bought some Saitek pedals soon after starting AH and there is no comparison.

The two most important monetary  investments for AH success

Step one...get a stick with tons of buttons/hats for views...gotta have lots of views.
step two....get rudder pedals.

Some people have strong opinions one way or the other on which manufacturer is better.  I cant say having only ever used the Saitek pedals.  I can say that they have been 100% problem free.  I have never had to recalibrate them or had any issues with them at all.  I think they cost more, but I am willing to pay more for "Works as advertised."

Offline Gulp

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »
Cheapo twisty.

Aspen

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 03:24:20 AM »
Saitek pedals here.

Took a bit of getting used to after using twisties for ever, but can't live without them now. Recently had to fly with a borrowed twisty and it was ugly.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 03:54:12 AM »
Still waiting for my Saitek pro pedals to compliment my X52 pro set :(
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 09:50:53 AM »
This is how I roll :aok.

I still use a,s,d rudder for shooting, but when I need to use my views, I use my mouse's side buttons for rudder and the middle button to center it.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2007, 10:09:40 PM »
keyboard - when i remember that i have rudder control - mostly no rudder control - thats why i sux - too cheap to get a new stick until this one dies - then probably a twisty stick because my wife will laff at me for having pedals too...

:)

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."