Author Topic: WW2 PC game  (Read 1988 times)

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
thanks for good responces guys,  almost time to take off here and when i get back ill tell you what i found.

on another note here,  if any of you guys like WW2 fighter model kits heres a link to model expo and they have some giant ones with over 30 inch wing span and you can turn them into RC planes as well,  there at the bottem of the page look for the 44.99 prices
http://www.modelexpo-online.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe?SKW=GUILLOWS@&FNM=08&UID=2007121415404244

they have theP-47-D,  F6F-3 hellcat,  F4U-4,   JU 87B stka and SBD-3 dauntless, C-47, and otheres too
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 10:12:42 PM »
well im back and i ended up with the Microsoft combat flight simulator 3  and the powerpack 1  (they had the powerpack 2 and 3) but ill wait till later for those.  and i got the IL-2 signature collection 5 games in one.
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »
Originally posted by PanosGR
I have only sat and flown – at least three times- in various modern jet fighters and trust me the way u are strapped in, in their ejection seats its quite impossible to see backwards 180+. On the other hand I really don’t how the WWII pilots were strapped in, or how tight they were so I really don’t know, but I trust your opinion.

Fighter pilots, then and now, loosen their straps to enable them to see all the way behind them.  Not being able to check one's six is far more dangerous than not being tightly strapped in.  Then again, as mentioned some aircraft just won't allow seeing behind you no matter what.  Usually these have mirrors to help compensate, but not all (the Me-109 didn't).

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »
Originally posted by PanosGR
Maybe, in the sense that u are probably right since u had the opportunity. I have only sat and flown – at least three times- in various modern jet fighters and trust me the way u are strapped in, in their ejection seats its quite impossible to see backwards 180+. On the other hand I really don’t how the WWII pilots were strapped in, or how tight they were so I really don’t know, but I trust your opinion.

Theres pkenty of footage on youtube showing pilots in modern fighters leaning all over with obviously lose straps. Tight straps are for newbies to keep em from breaking stuff. Same applies too old fighters. Keep in mind for a dead 6 glance back you only need to move your head to ~120 degrees. I use natural head movements for my view in AH and can look around 180 without a huge effort.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 10:07:03 PM »
I would love the red tags on cons to disappear even if was just one night a week (titanic tuesday?) would make things very unpredictable, and it would be a lot harder to track planes in a fight or tell what ur up againest.

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 10:31:19 PM »
You can make them disapper, just hit Ctrl-i to cycle through them!
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline FBvirgil

• Zinc Member
Re: WW2 PC game
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 11:56:57 PM »
Originally posted by chrish483
Tonight I'm doing some shopping and i was thinking of picking up a PC game for some off line practice  and i was wondering if anyone could recommend one or two.    Are there any that compare to what we have here on AH?

thanks
 chris h

why not just play ah2 offline its free

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 02:06:39 AM »
offline play with AH is the TA,  drones dont shoot back and the only thing that does shoot back are the ACKS, the other aircraft are on a set path so its a basic trainning area in the offline play,  try it out for yourself and youll see.

im liking this IL 2 game,  not bad, better then the microsoft combat game and both dont hold a candle to AH2 in graphics.
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 02:19:31 AM »
I have a kind of love-hate relationship with the IL-2 series. The views in the cockpit indeed are pretty limiting, but then again, there are working mirrors in some of the planes and the damage model gives much more variety to the flight model. In AH2 an mg holes in the fuselage or wings doesn't much feel in the plane's performance. In IL-2 a damaged plane needs to be trimmed to compensate the damage (if possible) and the damage affects the speed and performance of the plane. This have a straight impact to the dogfight in general. If you damage your superior opponent (say LA-5FN) in your 109G-6's machine guns, you will gain something from it and balance the odds. The mentioned LA-5FN just can't run away if enough of damage is inflicted...

These kinds of small details increase the immersion for me and donate a sense of playing more a "simulator" no matter the flight model or viewing system (let's face it, the views are same for all, friend or foe).  But then again, AH2 is more relaxed, more alive, and certainly more fun to spend my weekend beers with that the details mentioned above doesn't much affect my choise of a game.

IL-2 ain't massive multiplayer game but perfect for single player missions and if one has decided to buy the IL-2 one should most definitely buy the 1946 version of it which includes all the previous publications of the game.
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 05:54:51 AM »
Originally posted by beau32
You can make them disapper, just hit Ctrl-i to cycle through them!

I meant for everybody :aok

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 07:02:15 AM »
Originally posted by pervert
I would love the red tags on cons to disappear even if was just one night a week (titanic tuesday?) would make things very unpredictable, and it would be a lot harder to track planes in a fight or tell what ur up againest.
This would work if the plane set was divided in a way that you could tell enemy aircraft from friendly. But since we can go spit vs spit or 190 vs 190, there's no way to distinguish enemy aircraft from friendly.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »
I remember back in h2h, frank3 hosted great rooms with great players.4 would choose 190s or 109s and other 4 would be allied, we would all agree to turn off icons.Man, those where the best moments of AH:)

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 10:25:56 AM »
Originally posted by croduh
I remember back in h2h, frank3 hosted great rooms with great players.4 would choose 190s or 109s and other 4 would be allied, we would all agree to turn off icons.Man, those where the best moments of AH:)

I agree...the H2H rooms were the most fun...the "online arenas" are ok,but nothing compares to H2H with 8 players.  I think "the powers that be" should enable 8 player capability for everyone that SUBScribes. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:34:04 AM by dentin »
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 11:02:33 AM »
It's refreshing to hear that others have as much trouble with the IL2 view system as me.  It's not even the lack of a full 6 view (the nod to realism has already been explained.  There are many limitations on the virtual pilot that make flying a sim harder than a real plane- a full 6 view is a small compromise for playability).  It's the slow pan speed of the snap views.  I don't know about you guys, but if I'm looking for a bad guy shooting at me, I can get my head around almost instantaneously.  

The most fun I've had with IL2, where it really isn't too bad, is flying medium planes where the views are sorta restricted anyway.  I've been enjoying flying the Me110 around for instance.  It's a hard plane to see around in to begin with, so the view system is less annoying.  Same with some of the other mediums like the Blenheim.  

AH2 just does so much right.  A logical, flawless view system, a workable autopilot, a nice flight model.  

IL2 just fills a niche- opportunity to fly different planes in a historical setting, with some interesting terrains.

I'm really looking forward to Combat Tour in 2 weeks or so.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
WW2 PC game
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »
Originally posted by pervert

It is not faesible to remove the red icons, this is a 3 way war and each country can fly all the plane sets, you would not be able to tell friendly from enemy.