Author Topic: Gunning in FW190  (Read 740 times)

Offline John Hynds

• Zinc Member
Gunning in FW190
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:27:19 PM »
I am having problems gunning with the FW190 series, mostly FW190D-9. I can't seem to hit anything with it. My convergence is set at 400 and 350. Couple days ago 2 times was on an LA7 six at around 400 meters and couldn't hit it even in level flight. Found I like this plane but I need help.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 05:34:46 PM »
Set up your trigger so it ONLY fires 'secondary' ammo...which is your cannons. German cannons in AH drop a LOT faster than bullets, and the few hit sprites you get are likely the bullets, which is fooling you.  Also, most LW people here seem to mostly fire 20's under 300 yards-- If you go to training arena or offline, ya can get a lead-sight pipper, which shows you where gun sight needs to be to hit plane....you will prolly be surprised
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:39:36 PM »
Pull 2x more lead than you think, aim higher than you think, and shoot as if you've got REALLY bad ballistics.

That will help you learn, I bet.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 10:03:09 PM »
There are some resources available to help you, John.

1. You can set a target in any arena and see where your rounds are hitting. Type .target xxx (xxx= distance in yards) into a radio buffer and the target will appear North. .target 0 will toggle the target off.

2. There is a lead-computing gunsight in the training arena. To select a friendly (green icon) plane as the target, enable "friendly lock" by pressing Ctl-tab. Select a target plane with the Tab key. A box will appear around the plane closest to the center of the view. Cycle through all the targets with the Tab key to select the target you want.

Two green pluses (+) will show the correct lead for primary and secondary guns and help you develop the sight picture for your plane and convergence setting.

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 11:02:03 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
There are some resources available to help you, John.

1. You can set a target in any arena and see where your rounds are hitting. Type .target xxx (xxx= distance in yards) into a radio buffer and the target will appear North. .target 0 will toggle the target off.

you mean there is a distance thing other than the every 100 yards/feet i am not sure
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:59:59 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your question, splitatom. If you type ".target 400" (without quotes) into the radio text and turn North, there will be a target 400 yards in front of your plane.

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 12:52:10 AM »
I think he was meaning .target 325 (for example), and as far as I know you can set the target wherever you like.
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline John Hynds

• Zinc Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 06:02:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Will go to the TA and check out the sighting thing.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »
the target will help as well.

Like they said type ".target 400" without the quotes.

This means the target will remain a constant 400 from you for as long as you fly at it. No closer no farther.

To get an idea of how cannon rounds fly the target is helpful.

How to use the target:
1. set your convergensce to say 200 ( that is what i set at for both 20mm and 30 mm)

2. Set target for say 400

3. Fly at target. Center of your piper on the center of the target. Fire

4. Observe where the rounds hit and how they drop and miss below the center.

NOTE: Conv is set at 200. Target is set at 400. This means you have 200 of drop before it gets to the target.

This tells you how much lead you need with 0 G forces. So this would be helpful for a dead six shot where you are not pulling any G's.

You can Triple this lead amount for pulling G lead shots. The drop u get at 0 G can be added for every G you pull while leading a target. So if you are pulling 4 G's to lead a taget you will need to lead 4 x's the distance of a 200 drop at 0 G. It gets even more if you are over 4 G's.

Anything over 4 G's with cannon rounds is basically an impossible shot or just luck.

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:13:48 AM »
Does convergence matter so much in a Dora? The cowl guns are a whole what, 2 feet apart and the cannons are in the wingroot. Looks like the cannon round pass just outside the prop radius. Seems like all the rounds would be pretty close together no matter what. Kinda like a P38 where all the guns are in the nose. Why bother setting convergence at anything but max?

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 03:59:24 AM »
The barrels are elevated so the round drops to the gunsight pipper at the convergence distance. A long convergence sets a high barrel elevation, so you could be shooting over a target at close range. As long you compensate for that on the fly with your organic computer, you'll be okay. ;)

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Gunning in FW190
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 04:30:57 AM »
Originally posted by Bubbajj
... Looks like the cannon round pass just outside the prop radius. Seems like all the rounds would be pretty close together no matter what...  

Actually the wingroot guns fire through the prop as well. They are electrically triggered/synchronized.

And yes, as already mentioned, covergence also works in the vertical. As contrary to common conception, very close convergence for the wingguns, like 150, will make 50cal and other fast MV guns overshoot your line of sight as well. I.e. at ranges of like 250 or sumsuch (I never made an in-depth analysis, but I played around with it a bit) the bullet stream will hit high.
At some point one has to play around to find the best bulletstream coverage inside the most common range you shoot at.
In the 190s I set all guns to 400. Advantage of the 13mm MGs in comparison with the 20mm of the Dora, A8 and F8 is, their shells leave the muzzle at about the same speed, and within 400 there practically is no difference in their ballistics, save for the different location on the plane.

Regards,
Matt
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:38:20 AM by Keiler »