Author Topic: Turkey attacks Iraq again...  (Read 3155 times)

Offline GoldenP51

• Zinc Member
Turkey attacks Iraq again...
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2007, 02:38:04 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
(sigh)

St. Petersburg Times (thought you'd like a Russian Link)

Washington Post Article (lots of good info here)

If you can't "see" that the Turkish attack "approved" the strike yet can't "officially" approve it (for obvious political reasons) then I can't help do anything further but heave a sight for your lack of insight and understanding on "how stuff works" in the world.

Thank you.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2007, 03:02:56 AM »
Originally posted by GoldenP51
what was the last major operation anywhere in the world that Norway took the leading role in?

Define major operation, and what that has to do with anything.

Offline GoldenP51

• Zinc Member
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2007, 03:05:57 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Define major operation, and what that has to do with anything.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." THEODORE ROOSEVELT (Paris Sorbonne,1910)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2007, 03:09:23 AM »
Quoting Roosevelt does not answer my question

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2007, 03:32:17 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Quoting Roosevelt does not answer my question

Ahhh... but it did.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2007, 04:29:19 AM »
I think it was that it matters not the size of the operation, but that the mere presence itself speaks for the quality of the man of men who participated?:confused:
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2007, 04:55:51 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
What is your source?

If the USA didnt approve what Turkey did there would be 50 burning piles of scrap laying in the desert. Simple as that.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2007, 05:19:36 AM »
Lets see:
[opinion alert]
As I understand it, the USA alone has no power to approve or disapprove any action in Iraq, they can recommend a course of action or lobby against a course of action.
The COALITION does the approval or disapproval of action in Iraq.
In order for Turkey to mount any action in Iraq, it would have to be in some way given the OK by the coalition, even if such permission was merely in the form of non intervention.
How does that sound?
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2007, 09:23:32 AM »
Originally posted by Larry
If the USA didnt approve what Turkey did there would be 50 burning piles of scrap laying in the desert. Simple as that.

No it isnt "Simple as that"
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2007, 09:27:02 AM »
Ahhh... but it did.

how does that speach define what a major operation is?

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
If you can't "see" that the Turkish attack "approved" the strike yet can't "officially" approve it (for obvious political reasons) then I can't help do anything further but heave a sight for your lack of insight and understanding on "how stuff works" in the world.

Ah, why didn't you just say so in the first place? Why didn't you tell us that you had no evidence whatsoever to back up your speculations and that you just pulled that "they did" out of your ars*cough* ... hat?

As for insight and understanding on "how stuff works" in the world" I bet you were one of those people who actually believed Iraq had WMD? Perhaps you even still think they did. How about "they moved them to Syria"?

All this in the next exiting episode of WMLute's How Stuff Works! :lol

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2007, 12:00:51 PM »
Ah, why didn't you just say so in the first place? Why didn't you tell us that you had no evidence whatsoever to back up your speculations and that you just pulled that "they did" out of your ars*cough* ... hat?

Both of our "opinions" are mere "speculation" there chuckles.  Granted, mine has "unofficial sources" (and logic and reason of course) it can be based on, whereas yours is based on...  

uhhh....

What exactly is yours based on again?  Besides hyperbole and a love for trolling that is.

Heck, now that I think about it, your original and subsequent posts have been nothing BUT speculation.

I stated an opinion, backed it up, and what have you done?  (besides "trying" to deflect that fact i'm 100% spot on (as usual) and shifting the discussion elsewhere now)

Originally posted by Viking As for insight and understanding on "how stuff works" in the world" I bet you were one of those people who actually believed Iraq had WMD? Perhaps you even still think they did. How about "they moved them to Syria"?

All this in the next exiting episode of WMLute's How Stuff Works! :lol [/B]

Hell, I KNOW Iraq had WMD's.  We sold them to 'em.  (duh)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »
Both of our "opinions" are mere "speculation" there chuckles.  Granted, mine has "unofficial sources" (and logic and reason of course) it can be based on, whereas yours is based on...  

uhhh....

What exactly is yours based on again?  Besides hyperbole and a love for trolling that is.

My opinion is based on statements by the US embassy in Iraq and a ”US official in Turkey”.

I stated an opinion, backed it up, and what have you done?  (besides "trying" to deflect that fact i'm 100% spot on (as usual) and shifting the discussion elsewhere now)

You provided a link to a Russian newspaper (wow!) and a link to a Washington Post article that stated “[the official] denied that the United States had explicitly approved the strikes”. So your “back up” actually disproves your “opinion” and supports mine. WTG! :aok

Hell, I KNOW Iraq had WMD's.  We sold them to 'em.  (duh)

I rest my case! :lol

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
So your “back up” actually disproves your “opinion” and supports mine. WTG! :aok

I rest my case! :lol

Is english your 2nd language and you have problems w/ reading comprehension by chance?

My links stated that the U.S. DID approve the strikes, but not "officially".  The mere fact that 50 Turkish planes were in OUR airspace and not shot down with impunity is "fact" enough that we allowed it.

Your links said what...  That "officially" the U.S. did not condone that attack.  Heck I told you that.  This is where we use things like "reason" and "logic" to read between the lines on how politics works and how governments do things.  How sad you are unable to do such a simple thing.

How is all this zipping over your head?

What is MOST hillarious is you ACTUALLY think you might be winning this argument?  (snicker)

Geez man, cut y'er losses and run.  Nobody thinks you are correct in most anything you have post (common theme in threads you participate in) and all you are doing is making me feel (even more) sorry for you, which I didn't think was possible.

I had a better formulated argument on a public bus once w/ a special needs person who debated with me on the subtle nuiances of the A-Team than I have gotten with you.

What case are you resting btw?
(prepares self for another fount of blather about to be spewed)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:36:24 PM by WMLute »
— George Patton

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2007, 01:51:56 PM »
Is english your 2nd language and you have problems w/ reading comprehension by chance?

No. English is my third or fourth language.

My links stated that the U.S. DID approve the strikes, but not "officially".  The mere fact that 50 Turkish planes were in OUR airspace and not shot down with impunity is "fact" enough that we allowed it.

This is what you said:

Again, and this is for SOME people who just don't seem to "get" it, I will go slow.

Turkey

Had

Permission

From

The

U.S.A.

To

Take

Military

Action

In

Northern

Iraq

“Had permission”. If your point is that the US simply looked the other way and let the Turks do what they want then that was established on page one … with my first post. However if you actually mean to say what you actually are saying … that Turkey “had permission” then all the sources I can find and the sources you have provided say you are wrong. It seems the US did not give the Turks permission, but simply looked the other way … which is quite obvious since they didn’t do anything.

I’ve been arguing that the US did not give permission, but simply chose to allow it. You seem to be arguing (difficult to tell with all your backpedaling in your recent posts) that the US gave permission to the Turks.

What is MOST hillarious is you ACTUALLY think you might be winning this argument?  (snicker)

So you are arguing to “win” the “argument”. Most telling, WMTroll.