Author Topic: Petition to remove skin from game  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Petition to remove skin from game
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 04:55:36 PM »
FYI not too be mean, but we have a tail boom off of an early 38J that does have the red outline around the star and bar.  Regardless of whether it was supposed to be painted on their or not, it was painted on that boom and several others that all came from 38J's.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
FYI not too be mean, but we have a tail boom off of an early 38J that does have the red outline around the star and bar.  Regardless of whether it was supposed to be painted on their or not, it was painted on that boom and several others that all came from 38J's.

The 38 in question was a 20th FG OD/Gray bird from summer of 44 that Jager did in all black with japanese kill markings and red outlined star and bar.

Photos of the actual bird and those from that time frame show that it's clearly not what was skinned as Betsy V.  And it's an ETO bird.  No Japanese kills :)

Early Js did have the red outline star and bar no doubt.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
Gotcha Dan, I was just going off Krusty's original post that said J's weren't out when the Red Outline was painted on.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
What was the cutoff date on the red outline?

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 11:26:06 PM »
I am not sure Krusty.  It seems that the men in the field cared far less about "cut off dates" than did the people making them.

It's kind of like arguing whether the 475th FG aircraft ever had shark's mouthes on their aircraft.  Yes they did, because they inherited an awful lot of aircraft from the 39th who did use them.  Guys in the field simply could not be bothered to paint over something so trivial.  

In the end, the more work we do, and more history I see, the less I am likely to believe a book by someone who never has seen the history, but has read the stuff the "rule makers" pumped out.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 04:13:37 AM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
I am not sure Krusty.  It seems that the men in the field cared far less about "cut off dates" than did the people making them.

It's kind of like arguing whether the 475th FG aircraft ever had shark's mouthes on their aircraft.  Yes they did, because they inherited an awful lot of aircraft from the 39th who did use them.  Guys in the field simply could not be bothered to paint over something so trivial.  

In the end, the more work we do, and more history I see, the less I am likely to believe a book by someone who never has seen the history, but has read the stuff the "rule makers" pumped out.

The Red Surround to the star and bar was ordered on in June 43 and changed to blue in August 43.  If you look at 5th AF 38s as an example, they for the most part never put the red surround on and only a plain white bar was behind the star and blue circle.

The 8th AF had the red and began changing it when the order came down but this wasn't something that happened over night.

To illustrate Bodhi's point.

This is a well known photo of a veteran 8th AF B17G taken in July 1944  Note the replacement panel on the left wing.  Red surround to the star and bar.  Note the fuselage has the blue surround.  The red is still there almost a year after being 'ordered' changed.

As with anything to do with WW2 aircraft markings, unless you have photo proof, or like Bodhi see the bits up close, there are no hard fast rules.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
I would love to see Fester do that    ^^^^^^^   B-17 skin.

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 10:54:25 AM »
looks like that 17 has seen better days
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs