Author Topic: Screenshot Blows Up Drones  (Read 602 times)

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Screenshot Blows Up Drones
« on: February 27, 2006, 01:56:34 PM »
After dropping bombs with a formation of bombers, if you attempt to take a screenshot of the target and text buffer with bomb damage text, your drones explode. I haven't experimented with this enough yet to know if it's just certain bomber types, or just if you take the screenshot in the bombsight. I'm pretty sure so far that it happens in Lancs, B-24s and B-17s.

I came across this bug while attempting to take screenshots of bombs failing to destroy targets with good hits. Your drones blow up if you're taking screenshots of hangars or ships.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »
I think for this kind of bug you need to post your system specs... Maybe (off the top of my head) the lag of the text buffer and the screenshot adding lag makes you warp out and back, "detaching" your drones during the warp.

Just a wild guess, I don't know what's causing it.

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:27:07 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I think for this kind of bug you need to post your system specs... Maybe (off the top of my head) the lag of the text buffer and the screenshot adding lag makes you warp out and back, "detaching" your drones during the warp.

Just a wild guess, I don't know what's causing it.

Hmmmm, that makes sense, sort of. Usually, the first screen shot of the session temporarily freezes my screen for about ten or twelve seconds, I suspect while my swap file is enlarged to accomodate it, and then after that, I can shoot screen shots all night long without screen stutters. If I take the first screen shot of the night with a bomber formation, I never lose the drones, although it seems to freeze my lead bomber in flight, and the drones fly on past. When the screen freeze is over, my drones drift back to their normal position. I've never lost the drones unless it was a screenshot through the bombsight after bombing a target. I don't believe I've shot any screenshots through the bombsight as the first shot of the night.

When I've observed the drones blowing up, there doesn't appear to be any screen stutters or any sign of the system hiccuping. I hear the drones explode close by, and when I look outside the plane, they're gone.

My system is Dell XPS Gen 2
3 Ghz processor
1024.00 MB (1 Gig) Total Physical Memory
2 Gig Total Virtual Memory
currently as I look at it, 2.41 GB Page File Space  
260 Gig HDD
128 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
1.5 MB/256 kbps DSL connection
 This problem started with the last major version update around December.

Offline viper215

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 06:02:15 PM »
Originally posted by F4J

3 Ghz processor
260 Gig HDD
[/QUO

I have the XPS gen3 the most upgrated one and the gen platnum or something like that it works fine on my gen 3 in my room yet to install ah on the otherone. Only thing though when I take a SS of buffs they shoot far back or far foward. If i dont speed up when they go far foward they blow up. If i dont kill engines when they fall back they explode. It happens to my squadies to I think. They dont just "explode".
- Viper215 - Birds of Prey - Falcon Wing -
               - www.bops.us -

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »
Originally posted by viper215
Originally posted by F4J

3 Ghz processor
260 Gig HDD
[/QUO

I have the XPS gen3 the most upgrated one and the gen platnum or something like that it works fine on my gen 3 in my room yet to install ah on the otherone. Only thing though when I take a SS of buffs they shoot far back or far foward. If i dont speed up when they go far foward they blow up. If i dont kill engines when they fall back they explode. It happens to my squadies to I think. They dont just "explode". [/B]

Mine never seem to drift far enough to lose them, and after I take the first screen shot of the log in session, they never move from where they belong when I take screenshots. I am starting to think maybe this is an individual problem for me and not everyone else though. When I take the first screen shot after logging in, my lead plane seems to stop in the air while the screen shot is writing to disk, as evidenced by the distance to the formation that I'm following, and my drones are out in front, and have to drop back into place. I don't do anything to help the drones get back into position and they are fine.

The only time I have them blow up is if I drop on a target and take a screenshot of the text buffer in the bombsight. I discovered this while trying to document lack of bomb damage on targets.

Offline viper215

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 02:15:50 PM »
We could have same problems but yours is more bad than mine. Its still a big though.

<~V{Viper215}V~>
- Viper215 - Birds of Prey - Falcon Wing -
               - www.bops.us -

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:42:42 AM »
I just experiences this same problem yesterday. The 1st screenshot also frezes my view for a few seconds. Drones were gone after that.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline devild0g

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
hmmm makes me wonder
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
Rofl you could use this against planes one ur bombers 12... he is infront of you screenshot swhooom the drone shoots out infront and smacks him in de arse and swhoop comes back yay 1 kill XD

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »
Happened again today :(

Any cure for this? Should I post some HW specs here?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 02:31:54 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Happened again today :(

Any cure for this? Should I post some HW specs here?

How many screenshots do you have in your folder? Similar to starting to record films, the more files you have in that folder, the bigger the freeze you may suffer.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 03:53:55 PM »
Thanks Lusche... I'll try moving them to another folder.