Author Topic: Problems with Voice coms on Mac with Windows  (Read 832 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Problems with Voice coms on Mac with Windows
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »
I'm running Windows XP on an Intel Mac and using an USB microphone.  The mic works fine from "the mac side" using Ventrilo.  The mic is a Logitech.

The first couple days that I flew AH some folks could tell I was talking but signal strength was weak.  Now I get no response at all.

I've gone through the radio tutorial on the webpage but still can't get this thing to work.  One thing I noticed is during the setup as listed on the webpage it says to click on "advanced features".  When I get to that point that menu item is grayed out...not available.

I'm going to beg and plead with CinCHouse and see if we can run out an buy a "Windows" mic, but not sure if that will fix the problem.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc appreciated.

Thanks

colmbo
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 05:52:53 PM »
Col? Dat you!?! Wow! Good ta see sneakin over to the dark side....well kinda...seein as how you're still using an Apple. :) Welcome!!!

Did you go into the game, then hit esc (brings up map), options then preferences. In there try hitting "use wave in" and check volume levels.
Also, you can hear your own voice in the game, as a test, simple by hitting you / key then typing in your call sign in the far right radio (its radio V). Once done hit your T key and talk. Whatever level you are hearing is what everyone else hears.

Also, have you checked your mic level volumes in windoz? I think it's start/accessories/entertainment/recorder or mic recorder. Make sure you set volumes up in there. Remember you don't have to be able to hear your own voice in your headset.

I'll be in the MA tonight. Feel free to get me and let's see if we can work it out. If need be we can go over to the training area (TA) and spend a few minutes sorting it out.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »
Hey Ren.

Yep, did all that.  Odd thing was I'm not hearing my own voice during the "test" procedure.

Went out a bought a headset to use, hooked it up, did all the setup in Windows and AH...still not hearing myself by tuning private to me.

Said (*&^(*%*&$#$ grabbed a panzer and did a comm check "just in case"..got a loud and clear..TOO dang loud.

Seems to be working okay now.

Thanks for the reply!

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 07:59:21 AM »
Hey there Col!

Good to see you over here. Foggy dropped in a cpl years ago and was never seen again. Same goes for Mags, earlier this year.

A few old AW/Mac guys can be found from time to time. Besides Ren you might find Coach, Dano (DmdDano), JJ (DmdJJ) and Ductape.

Several WB squads migrated over to AH recently...are the lights out over "there"?

Merry Christmas!

(Madmax)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
Howdy Max.

No the lights are still on.  I just got one of the Intel Macs so I'm able to check out some "darkside" stuff.
Columbo

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 08:12:12 PM »
Col,

I think one of the major differences between WB and AH is you don't get quite as much zoom in BnZ. Also, this game has gone a few steps beyond WB although the games are similar. You should have no trouble in the MA but lemme know if you have any more questions or wanna do a lil time in the training arena just to check out things.'

Ren

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
Re: Problems with Voice coms on Mac with Windows
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 09:41:15 AM »
Originally posted by colmbo
I'm running Windows XP on an Intel Mac and using an USB microphone.  The mic works fine from "the mac side" using Ventrilo.  The mic is a Logitech.

The first couple days that I flew AH some folks could tell I was talking but signal strength was weak.  Now I get no response at all.

I've gone through the radio tutorial on the webpage but still can't get this thing to work.  One thing I noticed is during the setup as listed on the webpage it says to click on "advanced features".  When I get to that point that menu item is grayed out...not available.

I'm going to beg and plead with CinCHouse and see if we can run out an buy a "Windows" mic, but not sure if that will fix the problem.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc appreciated.

Thanks

colmbo

I'm also running AH on an IMac 24.  using the "built in Mic".  Works best with "mic boost" turned on.  Make sure you use Head set to eliminate speaker feedback

dentin
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
Hey Colmbo...

I had the same problem with one o' them USB Logitech headsets. Dang thing set me back $50 bucks and I found that I could ONLY use it with vent. I couldn't use it within any games that had a VoIP feature. Battlefield2 was kaput, and so was AH.

So I traded it back in, spent $15 bucks on an Altec Lansing set and everything was fine. I'd like to think it was just the USB and perhaps there wasn't programming set up correctly for it yet. But who knows.

Either way I saved some loot, and had all my features to boot!
Welcome to AH too.
Been seein a lot of familiar faces here lately. *grins*

Chapel
The Haze 100th FB/G
Rolling Thunder

Offline Magellan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »
Originally posted by Max
Hey there Col!

Good to see you over here. Foggy dropped in a cpl years ago and was never seen again. Same goes for Mags, earlier this year.

A few old AW/Mac guys can be found from time to time. Besides Ren you might find Coach, Dano (DmdDano), JJ (DmdJJ) and Ductape.

Several WB squads migrated over to AH recently...are the lights out over "there"?

Merry Christmas!

(Madmax)

Waves hand.