Author Topic: Holiday Munchies  (Read 213 times)

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Holiday Munchies
« on: December 24, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
Worth a dash out to the grocery store now, or for New Year's Eve...

68ROX' Six Cheese Cheese Ball

1 lb Cream Cheese (room temp.)
1 lb Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheese
1 lb (brick) Swiss Cheese
1 lb (brick) Monterrey Jack--or--Gouda--or Colby--Pick ONE
1 lb (brick) Mozzarella
8-12 oz Blue Cheese

Carefully (you still want to keep your fingers & knuckles, right) grate all cheeses except cream and blue....set off to the side.

Add--

2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 T Worchestershire Sauce
2 T Parsley
1/2 T Dill (sprinkled over cheese)
1 T Paprika
1 onion FINELY minched
4 Pieces of bacon, fried and dried over paper towels, and finely crumbled
1/2 cup of black olives, minced
1/2 cup of green, stuffed, Spanish Olives, finely sliced
1/4 cup mayonaise

(1/4 cup fresh chives or green onion tops optional)
(2 T red pepper flakes optional)

Add in the last two cheeses (cream & blue) and mix all ingredients EXTREMELY well with your hands or a commercial food processor (you want the ingredients to keep their pre-mixed shape, not end up as a mush).

If you are taking this to someone's house as an appetizer, here is where you will want to divide off about 1/4 of your cheese ball, because once they have tasted it, you'r chances of you bringing any left overs home are ZERO.

LIGHTLY (at less than 150F) toast a small jar of sesame seeds, and place them on the outside of the cheeseball.  Place in refridgerator until 1 hour prior to eating, then remove from refridgerator to allow to warm to around room temperator.

Provide butter knives or cheese serving knives on the serving platter.

Serve with STRONG crackers, sush as Keebler "Toasteds" Sesame Crackers, or Nabisco "BIG Baked Wheat Thin" crackers or even Melba Toast.  

Regular saltines, and other crackers will simply crumble when cheese ball is applied.

This is also really good for the Winter sports season...use Fritos Large Scoops, and serve with hot chili topped with sour creme and hot sauce on the side.

(If you need "$20,000 Prize Winning Chili", search for it to be found in another thread on this board....it's phreeeeeeking AWESOME!)

Happy Holidays, AH'ers!!!!!

68ROX
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 12:49:54 PM by 68ROX »

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Holiday Munchies
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:50:21 PM »
When I get home from work today, I'm making pecan pie, pumpkin pie, cheesecake & a pan of fudge. :)

The cheeseballs look good.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Holiday Munchies
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:55:18 PM »
When I was a kid in Mississippi, one of my aunts would make "Chess Pie"...

When I was in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota, folks looked at me like I had three heads when I told them about Chess Pie for the holidays.  My wife had never heard of it...it's a VERY southern thing.

Mississippi Chess Pie

Ingredients:  

Pastry: 1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell

Filling: 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks/6 oz/170g) butter, melted 4 eggs, beaten 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 2 teaspoons cornmeal 1/4 teaspoon salt 4 teaspoons whipping cream or half & half 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/3 cup lemon juice (optional) Garnish (optional) Sweetened whipped cream

Instructions:Preheat oven to 350°F (180 C). Place unbaked pastry in a 9-inch pie pan (or a ready-made store-bought unbaked pie crust may be used). Crimp or flute edges of pastry; set aside. Combine all filling ingredients in large bowl. Stir until well mixed. Pour filling into prepared pastry. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. To serve, top each serving with sweetened whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.

It's AWESOME, and probably has like 400,000 calories per serving, but hey...it's Christmas.

68ROX

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Holiday Munchies
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 12:56:54 PM »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Holiday Munchies
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »
Dammit you guys!  I'm sitting here in the NOCC working and you guys are making me huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuungry!!!!!

:furious

:D
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Holiday Munchies
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 01:02:36 PM »
I may try a chess pie today also ~ thanks for the recipe. I've always got pie crusts laying around just waiting to be used (TxDad likes pumpkin pie year round, so I make those at least once a month. Used to be once a week... but he's retired now, so he doesn't get all that great army PT he used to *wink*).
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Holiday Munchies
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Dammit you guys!  I'm sitting here in the NOCC working and you guys are making me huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuungry!!!!!
:furious :D

Me too. I don't eat lunch at all during the school year ~ only during the summer break.  Sometimes that really sucks ~ like when you see a food thread & get hungry.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac