Author Topic: 3D head tracking using wiimote (must see)  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
3D head tracking using wiimote (must see)
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 04:25:03 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
The difference between the wiiguys code and trackIR is that where trackir sells out the true POV and the immersion effect with it in order to be able to rotate your view outside the true display area, the wiiguy limits the viewer to the 'window' in order to remain truthful. You're right that the difference is in the code - but it's there..

It's not, because with a simple click I change the scaling from progressive to linear, and I have the same like "Wii-view".
The scaling is not hardwired. It's not compulsory. It's just a setting.

That developer (fascinating guy btw) simply choosed not to scale in that example - I can do the same with my TIR.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:27:30 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 04:26:49 AM »
Remember we've all seen trackir demonstration videos online and the breaking of the illusion is immediately viewable when the artificial tracking starts happening. The illusion breaks the moment the viewer stops looking dead forward and the move boosting code moves your point of view to where it isn't.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 04:28:25 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
It's not, because with a simple click I change the scaling from progressive to linear, and I have the same like "Wii-view".
The scaling is not hardwired. It's not compulsory. It's just a setting.

That developer (fascinating guy btw) simply choosed not to scale in that example - I can do the same with my TIR.

Ok so now we're getting on the same page. What I'm trying to say here is that once you tick that scaling on - you're not in the wiiguys world anymore.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 04:29:23 AM »
Remember we've all seen trackir demonstration videos online and the breaking of the illusion is immediately viewable when the artificial tracking starts happening. The illusion breaks the moment the viewer stops looking dead forward and the move boosting code moves your point of view to where it isn't.

That's the point - you did only see online vids. You don't use it. I do. Yet YOU do tell me the illusion is breaking...

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 04:36:31 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
That's the point - you did only see online vids. You don't use it. I do. Yet YOU do tell me the illusion is breaking...

Ooh boy.. please explain to me why the illusion never broke in the wiiguys display and why it breaks in every TrackIR demo I've seen.

Edit: I just figured it out. The demos are made with wrong technology i.e. the tracking device is not connected to the camera as the videos are captured directly ingame. This is a major problem for TrackIR marketing department by the way.. They make their product look bad.

Still the artificial scaling can't produce a trueful image. It just can't. Maybe you get used to it - but it's still not natural.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:40:02 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 04:45:41 AM »
Ooh boy.. please explain to me why the illusion never broke in the wiiguys display and why it breaks in every TrackIR demo I've seen.

You have only seen them on your screen via internet - You haven't done it.
Also he is using a carfully selected image which is (from a cognitive psychological point of view) much better suited to "fool" (not meant negatively by me" the viewer. And he is using limited movements only, which are more convincing when seeing it on the internet.

If I had the same screen and picture, I could film myself using TIR and you would say "wow!"  ;)

I just wonder why you don't believe me (and countless other users) when telling you I have full immersion?

Maybe you get used to it - but it's still not natural.

That's true, but it's more a philosophical question as long as you don't notice it. :D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:49:13 AM by Lusche »

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 04:54:29 AM »
the tracking device is not connected to the camera as the videos are captured directly ingame. This is a major problem for TrackIR marketing department by the way.

LOL

if you connect the Trackir to a camera and walk around with it
you would have 100% the same effect like in the video. Maybe Lusche
could do a small vid with exsactly this?

Like i said before, this looks interesting, but using it this way is not
usefull to a racing game or flightsim (talk about Trackir marketing *g*). Connecting the wii controller
lets say to your breast, i can imagine playing lightgun games, wherer
you have to really duck, jump and/or move around in front of the TV.
but connecting the Trackir to the breast you have the same effect.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 04:56:11 AM »
This Track IR seems really natural for me.
Click image for an example of TIR at work.

Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2007, 05:14:30 AM »
That video provided no illusion of actually sitting in the cockpit it just panned the view around very two dimensionally. This is because it doesn't hold the true point of view i.e. you didn't have the tracker affixed to your camera.

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »
MrRiplEy[H] its fixed to your own Eyes, so you get the full effect.
connecting to a camera is just to show others what effect you get
using tracking hardware.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2007, 05:29:50 AM »
Maybe this 7 second ostwind clip (I mentioned it earlier in this thread, so might have seen it) gives a marginally better impression. Watch the Ostwind sight.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »
Exactly but the videos that are captured in-game are filmed from the wrong POV so the effect is gone.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »
Thanks all.  I don't understand any of the technical stuff but I sure like the 3D effect no matter how it's achieved.  

I'll probably have to wait as usual until a real simple inexpensive general jazzy 3D immersion thingie eventually emerges for us drooling masses.
:confused:
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2007, 09:20:45 AM »
track ir works fine for everything but the 6 view
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Thanks all.  I don't understand any of the technical stuff but I sure like the 3D effect no matter how it's achieved.  

I'll probably have to wait as usual until a real simple inexpensive general jazzy 3D immersion thingie eventually emerges for us drooling masses.
:confused:

Well it's not really 3D immersion :)

You can buy a 3D VR Headset that will work nicely with AH for US$399  ( http://www.vr920.com ). Using the glovepie utility it emulates trackir, and provides a 3D stereoscopic view of the AH world :)  . The res is so so, but my headset (an emagin z800) only runs 800x600 and I find that a comfortable resolution in 3D (also keeps the frame rates high in 3d stereo mode).