Author Topic: TA films, comments welcome  (Read 343 times)

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
TA films, comments welcome
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:41:06 AM »
A squaddie and I were in the TA last night battling the constant question of "What do I do when someone gets on my 6?". Of course the obvious answer is to not let them get there in the first place, but the question keeps coming up.

Anyway, we were flying around with him behind me & me trying to shake him off or reverse on him. I've got 2 films of me doing (I think) essentially the same thing, both times I was able to bring guns on target in relatively short order.

Both planes were the same & IMO both pilots were in the same range as far as skill goes, although I may have had a little edge in knowing the airplane better.

So, take a look, and let the comments come.

Take 1

Take 2
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 12:08:11 PM »
Take 1
--------

JET lost cause he went pure pursuit instead of lag pursuit.

Your first dive caused separation and with him in pure pursuit, he was at 450 mph when he started his climb and you were already in a zoom climb bleeding speed which at the top allowed you to come around quicker. Also, because of his speed, his pure pursuit turned into a lag pursuit ... not good for him.

At 450mph the La's controls aren't the best, so if your turn "trails" on - "fixed" view, his loop circle is much bigger than yours and throughout the engagement ... it remains that way.

If you notice, you are saying that you are riding the "stall' and then you do stall at the top of the loop .... well that is when you really turned the tables. What you thought was a problem is what actually won the engagement or you ... you really got inside him with that "stall".

Does JET have "stall limiter" on ?

Bottom line for JET ... he should have started with a lag pursuit when you dove, and when you started to pull up ... he should have switched to lead pursuit. With that, as you come over the top he just might have a shot and if not, he could then have gone vertical over you and been "on top" and dictated the rest of the fight.

IMO he lost cause he was pure pursuit and then lag pursuit.

Take 2
--------

Again, JET goes pure pursuit when you dive and then lag after you pull up. He did a good job at the top of his loop, but his mistake there was that he went to a very aggressive lead pursuit.

Once he saw you, had he gone lag pursuit instead of lead, you would have been in deep kimshee.

He overshot the lead pursuit and you pulled hard ... he also pulls hard and again has you in his sights and again he goes lead pursuit. His turn to you slowed him down enough to come in behind you ... so far so good for JET.

He then gets aggressive and somewhat desperate and tries to take the shot. He should have waited ... he was in an advantageous position but still a little squirrelly for such aggression.

At this point, you pull hard and up and he flys straight ... this is where he lost. Why he went straight ? ... only he can answer that. I would have still tried to stay on your 6 somehow.

Your "straight up and roll" is called a high yo-yo and was executed perfectly. As he continues straight and your roll out of the yo-yo, you trade alt for speed and gain on him. He pulls an immelman and you stay in lag pusuit and pull a lead turn up and into him as he is coming down ... perfect.

Again you trade alt for speed coming out of your immelman and when you close and he turns, you pull another beautiful yo-yo to not overshoot. The yo-yo slows you down enough to stay behind him and also gain the "lead" for a full profile shot as he turns.

I would have turned into you much sooner than when he tried. Turning into you opponent at such a close range limits your options. I always try to turn into the opponent at at least 1.5K out.

I wish I knew why JET went straight instead of trying to follow you. He had you and gave it up.

Watch both films with "trails" on and "fixed" view ... tons of info in those trails.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:13:56 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:13:47 PM »
Thank you Spalshot! Thats exactly the kind of berakdown we were looking for.

I'm hoping as the weekend goes on there will be more.
Currently flying as "Ruger"