Author Topic: Battle of Midway  (Read 2039 times)

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 07:52:21 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
But against the US planes in this setup the Japanese have no chance.
The A6M2 owns the setup in one on one encounters. In multi plane fights things even out some because you have to work hard to bring down the heavily armored Navy Planes and the Zeke is quite fragile.

In fact the Zeke is so maneuverable I was successful several times with half of my elevator gone.
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
PTO setups are usually among the least popular with the AvA.  The planes available for a PTO setups is limited and do not match up very well when looking for 1 on 1 fights.  As Kong already mentioned if you can find a multi plane fight things become much more interesting with the setup.  The f4f-4 has a better chance in pairs even if multiple zekes come in with an alt advantage.  If you can put aside the urge to HO the fights can last for several minutes and are quite fun...

The 1 on 1 fights can be fun as well, but make sure you come in with reasonable expectations.  If you're planning on turn fighting a zeke 1 on 1 in a f4f don't expect to win, just enjoy it for what it is.  If you can last 30 seconds without 'extending' away you've done real good.  Sometimes you can get the zeke driver to make a mistake, and make him pay for it, but don't count on that happening to often.

In any case even if you are shot down, the CV's are close enough to get back into the fight within a couple of minutes.  The ability to get back into the fight quickly after being shotdown is what really makes this setup fun.  The planes in this setup have been used before, but it's the map that has made it fun.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 10:05:42 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Well, technically the version AH has is a mid-1944 model, up-engined, and with wing hardpoints (and more fuel, I think). And according to the wiki link all of 6 made it into Midway.

I bring it up for the sake of debate. When the only plane the axis have is the A6M2, the TBM is pretty much overkill, and the B-17? Forget about it. It's a meat grinder compared to the B/C models around in '42. Also, -26Bs such as the one modeled in AH are early '43 models. The earlier mid-'42 models were mostly used in Europe, and had less defensive armaments (single tail gun, single 30cal tunnel gun, other changes)

Krusty, The B-17s deployed to Midway were B-17Es, the same type that the 8th AF began combat operational missions with. Same armament as the G model, except it didn't have the chin turret. Inasmuch as the Zeros can barely catch a B-17, they will almost certainly be attacking from the rear... With the usual consequences.

Those B-26s were A models. No difference in bomb loads.

Unnfortunately, with our laser aimed (sic) bombsight, B-17s will be very effective at killing CVs.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Battle of Midway
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Unnfortunately, with our laser aimed (sic) bombsight, B-17s will be very effective at killing CVs.
I wasn't in the AvA for too terribly long last night, but with formations disabled and CV hardness jacked up, the CVs remained after several passes.  

With the ack turned way down, several people were coming in low, which let the zekes catch them fairly easily.  It was like launching ping pong balls against them, but the 17s did eventually go down.  I personally got 3 kills against vs. one air-to-air death (a second one bombed me while taking off).

The B26s, on the other hand, were a pain in the behind.  They have forward firing .50s which makes HOing them very risky, and are too fast to catch in a tail chase (unless they want to be).
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 10:49:34 PM »
Now I see a bunch of new sit-reps :)  Most of them lean to the fun side a few do not.  

The one who don't see the big picture with out question voted in the B25 and thus helped crippled the efforts to create progessive scenerios like we have in the AvA now.

Get in here and try it.  The current set up offers something for everyone given the plane set they have to work with.

Anything less is hear say and unfounded.

MGD

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 12:14:41 AM »
I think Midway is the most balanced PTO setup AH can offer at the moment.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 03:17:10 AM »
Krusty, The B-17s deployed to Midway were B-17Es, the same type that the 8th AF began combat operational missions with. Same armament as the G model, except it didn't have the chin turret. Inasmuch as the Zeros can barely catch a B-17, they will almost certainly be attacking from the rear... With the usual consequences.

My regards,

Widewing

Just to back up Widewing on this one.  The RAF experiment with the early B17Cs/Fortress I's ended in November 41 with all the lessons learned.  There were not early model 17s in combat in the ETO in 42/43.  It started with E models on the first few raids and quickly progressed to the F

In the Pacific this was true as well as the early 17s were pretty much gone or relegated to training duties by early 42 as most of those in combat were lost in the Phillipines.  The 5th AF went to war with E models and then Fs.

I can post a nice photo of an E model on the field at Pearl on December 7, 1941 as well.

This image is two 17Es at Midway during the battle.  The one on the left has the ball turret while the one taking off has the remote belly turret that was less then successful.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
That sure is a pretty terrain.  Well done!

I popped in yesterday for a bit.  Nobody in there, so I did touch and go's in a B-26 for a while.  Somebody (Soda?) outdid themselves on that terrain.

Too bad this can't have a bigger population.  This is THE setup I've been waiting for.

Again, nice job AvA staff!
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »
I believe Raptor made the terrain.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3
 Somebody (Soda?) outdid themselves on that terrain.

That would be Raptor and the CM team...  They did a great job....

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »
Inasmuch as the Zeros can barely catch a B-17, they will almost certainly be attacking from the rear... With the usual consequences.

In reality didn't B-17s normally cruise at about 180mph giving the A6M2's 300+mph a rather significant overtake?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Geophro

• Copper Member
Midway Screenshots
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 03:27:42 PM »
This set-up has been so much fun that I decided to post some pics to possibly generate more interest.  The map is awesome, the set-up well tuned, the fights quick to find, and the battles are fierce.

#1 is a nice view of Midway, with the classic matchup F-4F vs. A6M2.  Here, I think Oldman is about to make me auger my Zeke (again), but it's a great shot.

#2 Shows the effect of the A6M2's turning ability on frustrating a pair of P-40B's.  This shot was selected due to its nice visual appeal.

#3 This a shot a second later from the perspective of the second P-40B.  Things are looking grim, but help is on the way!

#4 Shows the same engagement, where the 1v2 has become 2v2 and is just now transitioning to a 2v1 (and eventual 2v0).  This was a great fight, and notice that spectacular sky!

#5 Shows where not to be relative to an FM2.

#6 Is after a banzai charge into 5 cons, and an attempt to use KILLSHOOTER as my wingman to take on this pair of FM2's.  It didn't work, but I giggled all the way to the tower at how close it was.

#7 Is, um, me probably not gonna land this one, but it is a spectacular death.

#8 Shows how proper flap management allows the P-40B to dance successfully with the A6M2.  This is a split second before I'm choosing another free cartoon airplane.

#9 Shows that the F-4F really can knife fight with the A6M2.  Don't believe those who say that it cannot.  The Wildcat is very tough, and can accept some shots to get position.  This sortie drifted all the way from Midway to the IJN fleet.  Every time I got a pair of Zero's down to a single, another would show up.  It was a blast, and the number of holes I landed with some 15 minutes later was impressive.

I still die much more than I kill, but I am having fun, and this set-up has been the most fun I've had in a while.  If you haven't stopped by, please consider doing so.

to all those involved with this set-up!  :aok

EDIT: I shrunk the pics to 1/2 size, full size available upon request.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:04:09 PM by Geophro »
Jephro
Dying as Geophro Tour 91-Tour 104
Getting kills is easy.  Earning kills is better.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 03:55:55 PM »
nice pics

:)

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »
Thank you for posting those Geo.  I had a lot of fun fighting with you last night.

And thanks for the map Raptor.  Best one I've seen in my opinion!
Jay12

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 04:59:33 PM »
Glad you all are enjoying the 16 square miles of coral:aok