Author Topic: Copy+Pasting layers?  (Read 302 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Copy+Pasting layers?
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:01:38 AM »
Can you move a layer from one image in GIMP to another? It'd be nice if I didnt have to do the exhaust again, and I could reuse panel lines...

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Re: Copy+Pasting layers?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »
Originally posted by Motherland
Can you move a layer from one image in GIMP to another? It'd be nice if I didnt have to do the exhaust again, and I could reuse panel lines...

What I do when I start to skin a certain aircraft is create a file called "P51DWorkingMaster.xcf", for example.

In this file I set up the multiple layers necessary to skin a plain P-51D:  panel lines, insignias, shading, etc.  I make layers for noseart, where the noseart is the only thing in the layer.  Any other unique features of the skin goes on its separate layer.  Then, if I want to do another P-51, for example, I can turn on the base paint, panel lines, etc., turn off the unique layers of the first skin and am then merely creating the unique layers necessary to turn the master into a specific aircraft.  When you go to save each skin, its simply a matter of which layers are visible on the image.  Just a technique I use...

There is also the "select all" function that can be used to copy and paste an entire layer.  Basically, create a blank layer on the new skin, click on the layer to be copied, use the "select all" function, and then paste that into the new layer you created.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Copy+Pasting layers?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
For further reference...
In your image, you can go to 'file' 'Open in layers' overlay another GIMP image. I now Have a file in my skins directory called 109exhaust, where I just deleted every other layer from my 109F skin and saved it seperately. Ill do this with my panels too.