Author Topic: Need a trainer (p-38)  (Read 461 times)

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
Need a trainer (p-38)
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »
I've tried going to the TA every time I get on to see if a trainer is there. So far I've found 1 trainer and for only about 5 minutes, he taught me to climb at 2k/m vs. a a6m. Useful, but only about 1% of the time and not really what I need.

I'm getting better by myself but I need a trainer. I really like the p38 mainly because of the guns, hitting people at 800m fairly easily is awesome, makes it hard for people to extend. My only problem is that I cannot garuntee that I can show up =/, it's very hard for me to know when I'll have time to play.

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
Need a Trainer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
I have always wanted training here to be like the way USA Navy trains their people, from the begining, step by step.   I realize we have military planes in a cartoon world and the game is not really a military atmosphere.

I used to hang out a lot in TA but I don't like the format too much.  Three exceptions:  Widewing taught me how to land a carrier plane on a CV; Ghost showed me and a few others how to level bomb in a B-17, which is fairly well translated to the other bombers; Ren showed me how to setup my views and instructed me to never take eyes off enemy.  Other than that, show up to TA and learn as you go, but it is not a structured learning experience like the Navy does it.  

I learn this game trial and error in the arenas going solo mostly and dying a lot.    And saying that I will return to TA because I need much help in the dogfighting aspect of the game.

Though, one significant rule in military training is they do not baby you.  They throw it at you in increments.  Learn it, move on.  Don't learn it adequately they will recycle you once or twice.  Can't get it?  They find something else for you to do.  I never had that problem in the non-cartoon world.  Not all people learn things the same as everybody else like school does it.  I've seen darn good mechanics, machinists, tool makers and never had the luxury of a high school diploma.  Some guys were very close to genius in their hands-on mechanical aptitude.   Funny thing I saw in Navy was guys would come in as high school dropouts.  First thing Navy did to those guys was earn their GED.

My Navy days were Seabees as enlisted, gotta admit I miss it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Need a trainer (p-38)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »
All the trainers are volunteers, none get paid for their time, and they all have their own lives to live both inside and outside the game.

So jumping into the training arena and EXPECTING  a trainer to be there to train you is pushing things a bit :D

All the trainers are as accommodating as possible.You can email them and set up a time to meet for training. Their addresses are . Drop them a line, set up a time and go for it !!

If on the other hand you "have a hard time with your schedules and you don't when you can set up a time" well.... I guess you really didn't want the training after all did you  ;)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Need a trainer (p-38)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:14 AM »
1st speaking as a former trainer I can tell you there's never enough of you to go around...

Now going beyond that most trainers are better, more comfortable and have more fun teaching certain aspects of the game. Being a trainer is rewarding but can also be very frustrating. Alot of the time a guy wants to work on "building block D" and yet has no clue on the "A,B,C" that comes 1st...other times a guy is focused on esoterica or a singular aspect the trainer doesnt view as core to his job/function.

When I've been in the TA there have almost always been a number of experienced sticks that are not formally trainers but are quite capable. Just from the 71st Batfink, Biggles & Lengro are all in the TA a fair amount...I actually think all 3 would make fine trainers if they have the interest. I know others are there as well and probably equally skilled. The 1st traing cadre had similiar guys as well. In fact some of those guys are "legends" of the game now (and were equal or better then most of us trainers in every way)...if you want to learn the opportunity is going to be there.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Need a trainer (p-38)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
Hi Chubbie - you're welcome to come along to my session if you can make it, as you did the other night - see sig below.
Going back to the P38? I thought you were going to focus on the 109K? I would recommend you pick one and stick to it and dont fly much else till you become one with your chosen aircraft. It is worth trying out some of the aircraft you have difficulties with to get an idea of their capabilities, and also do some studying of aircraft capabilities relative to yours:
http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php
or download my aircraft comparison app - see sig below.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Need a trainer (p-38)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »
I was able to spend a couple of hours with Chubbie Tuesday evening. We worked on the F4U mostly.

He'll be an excellent pilot, already having solid BFM skills, and more than adequate ACM skills. He primarily needs to learn the airplanes.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
Need a trainer (p-38)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »
This was posted before I had the chance to get with a trainer. I couldn't figure out how to delete the thread. But yea my main rides are the f4u-1a, f4u-1d, and the 109k. Also, I know I told yall already, but I really appreciate the help.