Author Topic: who made the best cc weapons in WW2?  (Read 5989 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
who made the best cc weapons in WW2?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »
Originally posted by SuBWaYCH
Also, the Soviets had a semi-auto rifle that fired the 7.62 round, can't think of the name though.
Mosin-Nagant?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
Johnson rifle  
Johnson LMG  
Johnson SMG

I wounder how many service men died while being hammed down on by germans after hearing that retarded "PING, im highly vulnerable now, shoot me while i reload" the garand had.

Retards.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Mosin-Nagant?

Maybe thats what i'm thinking of.

<---Having brain block, Sunday night, go back to school at 7:00 tomorrow :rolleyes:.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:27 PM »
Originally posted by SuBWaYCH
Personally, I thought the Gewehr 43 was a pretty interesting design. Sure, it didn't have the punch of an M1, but it was semi-auto. I'm not sure of the round it fired though. Anyone know?

Also, the Sten series was a cool looking gun. Pretty sure magazine was 32 rounds. Sorta like a Tommy gun, IMHO.

As for the best weapon, IMHO, M1 Garand. Good mix of accuracy, punch, and rate of fire.

The weapon the Germans made the most of is, IMHO, the MP40 or Karbiner 98k.

Also, the Soviets had a semi-auto rifle that fired the 7.62 round, can't think of the name though.

It fired the 8mm (7.92x58mm).  It packed a pretty good punch.  However, the modern day 8mm is more powerful than the .30-06, but I once saw a source (and have been unable to find it again) that said the 8mm used in WW2 didn't move as fast, and was thus not as powerful.

The later stens were decent guns, but the early ones were abysmal failures.

The Soviet gun you're thinking of was the SVT-40.  Also, the G43 was pretty good for regular battlefield, but it had accuracy issues that haunted it when they tried to make a sniper out of it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »
Originally posted by BaDkaRmA158Th
Johnson rifle  
Johnson LMG  
Johnson SMG

I wounder how many service men died while being hammed down on by germans after hearing that retarded "PING, im highly vulnerable now, shoot me while i reload" the garand had.

Retards.
This might be quite possibly, the MOST CLASSLESS post I have ever seen on an Internet Forum.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 09:07:40 PM »
B.A.R.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 09:07:57 PM »

Retards.

I think that's a hyped up problem. The US soldier would have to be alone for it to be an advantage to the Germans. ALL the Americans in a squad wouldn't need to reload at the same time.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
B.A.R.

Another good one.

One hell of a gun on the Pacific front.

Fired .30 Cal, correct?

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
Johnson rifle  
Johnson LMG  
Johnson SMG

Retards.

None.  It is a myth that service men were killed because of the clip ejection sound.  First you have to take into account the volume of the clip compared to the rest of the battlefield.  With no hearing protection, it would be pretty hard to pick up from more than 30-40 yards out.

Next you have to take into account the speed with which garands can be reloaded.  The garand could be reloaded much faster than all other weapons on the battlefield.

Finally, you have to take into account that it is very easy to reproduce the ejection sound by hand.  If this myth was valid (which it really isn't), it'd be easy enough to trick the enemy into thinking you are out.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 09:09:23 PM »
I wounder how many service men died while being hammed down on by germans after hearing that retarded "PING, im highly vulnerable now, shoot me while i reload"
====
Based on the number of Krauts I have hammered in CoD after reloading my mighty Garand I would hazard a guess........

hmm.....................

ZERO

Now move along kid, yer buggin me.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
The BAR was far too heavy. The Bren Gun was better, but still too heavy.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »
Bren gun was good for supporting infantry when you couldn't carry somethin' REALLY heavy, like a .30 cal.

As for most innovative design, i'd have to give it to the STG44/MP44. First assault rifle ever made.

364th Chawks

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:45 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Next you have to take into account the speed with which garands can be reloaded.  The garand could be reloaded much faster than all other weapons on the battlefield.

Nonsense. A lot of other weapons were faster to reload than the M1 Garand. Even if we limit the selection to rifles the Enfield was fed by removable magazines and thus much faster to reload than clip or strip fed fixed magazines.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »
Remember, the gun may be heavy, but that means less recoil.  On a machine gun, that's not such a bad thing.  Especially since you wouldn't randomly assign it to the smallest guy in your squad.

The BAR was really cool, as were most of these weapons.  But we're discussing SMG's.  

Like I said, you can take your pick of Tommy and PPSH.  It's all personal opinion from there.

Originally posted by Viking
Nonsense. A lot of other weapons were faster to reload than the M1 Garand. Even if we limit the selection to rifles the Enfield was fed by removable magazines and thus much faster to reload than clip or strip fed fixed magazines.

Remember, there is no magazine to take out in the garand.  When you are empty, you only have to put bullets in.

And then when you place a new clip in the garand, it automatically closes itself.  Sometimes, maybe 1/10 you have to help it along.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:16:14 PM by lasersailor184 »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »

I wonder how many service men died while being hammered down on by Germans after hearing that retarded "PING, im highly vulnerable now, shoot me while i reload" the Garand had.

Retards.

Interesting observation. Hopefully there was another GI on one side or another (or both) that hadn't gone "ping" yet. But if one was to look for a singular weakness it surely had to be the archaic spring clips. Guess it was cheaper to manufacture that way. But it remains one of the most successful military rifles, worldwide, to date, even seeing limited use during the Vietnam conflict and still enjoys wide popularity amongst collectors.