Author Topic: RL Mustang vs AH Mustang  (Read 1766 times)

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Please double check that Homeboy. ...

Well, Widewing, I know better than to argue with you.  I'm just reading the manual.  It says right here on page 14:

"Remember too, that there's nothing to be gained by using war emergency power below 5000 feet.  Up to that altitude the throttle alone gives you more than enough power to exceed the operating limits of the engine."

So, assuming your chart is right, this manual must be wrong or else it's saying something different but I sure as heck can't imagine what that might be.

Interesting.

The manual I'm reading from is the "North American P-51 Mustang Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions" manual Technical Order No. IF-51D-I
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 01:38:52 AM »
Homeboy I'd say the wording you chose in the original post:

WEP is completely ineffective below 5k.

is poor which lead to the misunderstanding.

Regarding performance anytime you add more power, assuming the airframe can handle it, you'll receive more speed.  WideWing's chart shows us exactly that.  I think paraphrasing the following:

"Remember too, that there's nothing to be gained by using war emergency power below 5000 feet. Up to that altitude the throttle alone gives you more than enough power to exceed the operating limits of the engine."

by using the above is by no means saying the same thing.  The original quote in your book regards engine operating procedures and limitations.  Your first post implies that there are no performance gains to be had using WEP down low, which clearly isn't the case.  They're two separate, but related, issues.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 01:50:04 AM »
What exactly are the "operating limits of the engine" in this context?

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 02:00:32 AM »
The same as any "limitations" section of any AFM or POH.  Temperatures, pressures and times.  For this case...

EGT
CHT
Oil Temp
Manifold Pressure
Coolant Temp

That passage is a technical way of saying "don't use WEP down low because its a great way to blow up your engine."

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 05:04:23 AM »
^what he said^
The operating limits of the engine is not necessarily related to the actual amount of horsepower produced. It is entirely possible to exceed the limits of the engine  before full throttle is utilised by many engines.
The aircraft I am working in is one such example. If I were to apply full throttle on take off in one movement on my aircraft, I would most likely be left on the runway with the engine and prop either rolling off to one side or smoking with head gaskets blown way out of both heads. However, If I was to feed in the throttle carefully and gently, I can be at 3000 feet within 30 seconds..
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:06:24 AM by SD67 »
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 05:23:44 AM »
Originally posted by SD67
^what he said^
The operating limits of the engine is not necessarily related to the actual amount of horsepower produced. It is entirely possible to exceed the limits of the engine  before full throttle is utilised by many engines.
The aircraft I am working in is one such example. If I were to apply full throttle on take off in one movement on my aircraft, I would most likely be left on the runway with the engine and prop either rolling off to one side or smoking with head gaskets blown way out of both heads. However, If I was to feed in the throttle carefully and gently, I can be at 3000 feet within 30 seconds..

showoff :D
now posting as SirNuke

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 06:28:09 AM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl
9GIAP VVS RKKA
Fabricati diem, punc

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 07:17:37 AM »
One thing to remember about the inverted flight causing lack of oil. It would only happen if your in straight inverted flight, not pulling any gee's.

If your pulling Gee's, oils going to keep flowing no matter what your orientation is. Typical immelman, unless you pause at the top your pulling enough Gee's through the loop to keep the oil flowing.

Dunno about you, but I just havn't seen many fights where a 10 second inverted flight timer would kill the engine.

I don't think it would effect us much if HT did decide to coad it in.

Great read homeboy!

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »
As I recall, in WarBirds, if you started flying inverted, the Oil Pressure gauge would start dropping. If it dropped past a certain level, the engine would quit. Rolling to normal orientation would immediately restore full oil pressure.

I always thought that was a neat feature. One of just a few compared to AH, but still neat.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »
Well I hope the weight for the rear radar is modelled at least.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Gryphons

• Copper Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 08:51:10 PM »
That's correct Llama, WB modeled oil starvation, I remember blowing a few engines while learning outside loops.  That, the "Blitz" terrain, and the strat system are the things I miss the most about WB.  It would be nice if AH modeled this along with the tail wheel lock.
Classic Army G36C, KWA Glock 17, Well M4, UTG M24
71 Squadron RAF
Gryphon5

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
RL Mustang vs AH Mustang
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 08:58:01 PM »
IIRC AH does have a tailwheel lock.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
Fabricati diem, punc