Author Topic: War birds Vs Us  (Read 4484 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 06:56:08 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
(DeForrest Kelly Voice On)

RPS is............... he's..... .........gasp,cough,.......Dammit Jim its DEAD!

You mean...

"Captain.  She's only a flight sim.  She can't take much more."
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 11:11:11 PM »
Anaxogoras where in CA are you?
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
Played WB from 1996-2002. Was +taur+ in 416 RCAF.

They just stopped any serious development. They had a great player base, "had", but they have moved on.

"Player Development Corps" is code for "the company no longer cares but we will take your money". Forget that.

...Aces High is at least updated, and supported by players with some #s.

IEN (the company that owns WB) can kiss my a**.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 12:51:39 AM »
Early and Mid war used to be perfectly fine. When they split the scores up between the arenas the players in the EW and MW pretty much dissappeared. Too hard to score multiple kill sorties in the early maps withe the slow planes there I suppose.

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 06:05:26 AM »
I was hoping someone would mention our pretty sheep..........and they did, my work here is done.:cool:
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I fly many EW and MW planes in the LWA's, as do many others.  It's not the utter lack of use as much as the utter lack of skill for many to even try these planes and I don't really blame them.

Nail right on the head.
I fly EW and MW planes in LW arenas no problem.
Anyone can fly and have good success in any fighter in the game provided they take the time to develop the skill to learn how to fly them reguardless of plane.
Late war planes tend to be easier to fly so you see alot of people in them
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
The only two things I miss from Warbirds was being able to tell your drones where to fly in formation (distance position ect) and delayed fuses. The rest of it all seems hokie to me now for too many reasons to list. The best thing I like about AH is that I have limited time to fly during the week. This game, you just fire up and play. No tweaking ini files, configs, mass disco's (I mean to the tune of half of your squad disco'ing during an event), or other crap.  I just wish there was an S3 type scenario that was ESP prime time centric , or even close. 11:00 PM is just too late for most of us to start an event.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
Played WB from 1996-2002. Was +taur+ in 416 RCAF.

They just stopped any serious development. They had a great player base, "had", but they have moved on.

"Player Development Corps" is code for "the company no longer cares but we will take your money". Forget that.

...Aces High is at least updated, and supported by players with some #s.

IEN (the company that owns WB) can kiss my a**.

From the Warbirds (CK) Beta to 2000ish here, around 2000 the wheels started to wobble. I remember one holidays IEN had server issues and were like "f u players" while it got sorted, about the same time AH went open beta - and a half completed game that worked all of the time was better than a completed game that worked some of the time imho. Never looked back since (tho I did take a break from AH in WW2OL, which was... interesting...)

-vlcn- in CK
-vlkn- in WB

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »
-vlkn-

Yup I remember you there.

For me, it was just realising one day that "Wild Bill" didnt give a s*** about us or the game and was just milking the thing for all it was worth. I wont spend another bent nickel keeping him in food and lodging.

I rate Warbirds on par with Timeshares and Life Insurance for money well spent.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
The thing I miss least is having everything from FM's to arena settings vary wildly from whim to whim and day to day with no notice - no consistency and no sense.  There are some good joes that work over there (Skydiver and Target are top notch in my book) but it's like bailing the tide with a tin cup.  

AH II is the what "Warbirds III" was supposed to be.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »
Originally posted by Ghastly

AH II is the what "Warbirds III" was supposed to be.

That about sums up what I've heard from just about all of the folks I talk with who moved over.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »
I for one, love this game...in my opinion there isnt one better out there...AcesHigh is like a bad drg that you just cant kick...here it is im going on 1 week of not playing, and im freaking out for it
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »
Originally posted by Bubbajj
Too hard to score multiple kill sorties in the early maps withe the slow planes there I suppose.

Honestly, I think it's more due to the lack of "fast late war rides" that is keeping the numbers down.  Personally, the best plane match ups are in the MW, with really not one plane being overly dominate over another.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »
Can someone post some screenies of Warbirds?  Never flown it and the pics they have on their site are utter trash.  Just curious what it looks like compared to AH.

Offline flubby

• Zinc Member
      • http://joomla.hp-parrots.de/joomla/
Re: War birds Vs Us
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2008, 10:57:46 AM »
I dig out this old threat because after some month of flying in AH i would like to share my impression. I flew Warbirds for more than 6 years and i love(d) this sim. I left WB because of many reasons, but this is not so interesting. Maybe it is more interesting to see the pov of a forme WB player after switching sides ;).

1. Players numbers: In AH - overwhelming. 10-20 times more players online in the european prime time than in WB.
2. Arenas: Nice arenas, but some points are less than optimal. First only the "all planes available"-arenas are well used in euro-time. The mid and early war and the axis vs allied arenas are always nearly empty. I strongly miss this like i did in WB, Most europeans seem to prefer late war rides. They don`t know what they miss.
3. Maps: The maps are a littlebit - mh - lets say funny. I donīt like maps wich have no real life counterpart. Some are o.k. and some are .. i don`t want to use the word with s ;).
4. Scenarios: I strongly miss an euro friendly scenario. This is one of the biggest advantages WB has. Without scenarios it`s only half the fun and a lot of WB players stay ther only because of the great scenarios. I was told that the AH scenarios are realy good, too but due to the inacceptable time i could not participate until now :(.
5. Community: The community is much bigger so it is not as personal as in WB wich i liked very much, but there are a lot of very kind players in this game so i would not say, that the community is not as good as in WB.
6. Developement: One word --- great.
7. Gunnery/Damage model: The damage model is much better than in WB but could be better. I would like to have an IL2 like dm. The gunnery is split in two parts. The lethality of the guns is imho better modelled. The dispersion .. i think it`s slightly worther in AH. The trajectory of the bullets seems to flat from my pov.
8. Flight model: I am not an expert, but the AH FM feels more realistic. In WB the FM sucks if you look at some planes like the KI84, JM2 f.e. They fly beyond their real life data. Much to good and IEN does not fix it in more than one year. In AH every plane is a capable opponent in a well trained players hand, but you always feel the differences between the planes and you can use the advantages very effective if you know them ;).
9. Support: Outstanding fast and reliable. If you have a problem or a question, you get the answer immediately. In WB the support is not too bad, but you notice, that only one person does it. So if he is busy or afk it takes much longer than in AH.
10. Vehicles: There are a lot of planes, ground vehicles and water vessels avail. Much more than in WB, but i seldom missed them there, except the russion aircrafts like the IL2 f.e. On the other side planes like the Yak 3, the I16, PE2 and PE8 would be a great improvement, especially in easter europe scenarios. The P39Q was a good idea, i hope they will not stop the developement at this point :).

Conclusion:

WB was a great game, but sufferes in developement and players numbers. It is not realy a threat for AH, but never the less i hope that both sims will stay, because no developement without a competetitor :).

This is only my humble opinion. I don`t want to bother anyone so i will apologize in advance to anyone who dos not agree my opinion :).

Regards

Flubby