Author Topic: You got your mini MA..  (Read 2623 times)

Offline 1cajun

• Probation 1/25/2016
  • Zinc Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »
The members of The Haze had a great time last night.  The set up is what we enjoy and we will be back.  Thanks to the AvA staff for setting this up and thanks to Oldman for making me understand how bad it is to have a zeke behind my P-40.  :eek:

It is nice to see the arena with the numbers that were there and having to worry about land aquisition as well as base defense.  The numbers tell the story, great set up and great job.

:aok
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
Originally posted by 1cajun
The numbers tell the story, great set up and great job.

The numbers dont mean **** if there arent any fights. Thats what people who never flown in the AvA dont understand. Six people in theres equals great fights 15+ equals to MA tactics, and when you add base capture you get vulching, its sad to see the AvA ruined just because they want more people in there.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline 1cajun

• Probation 1/25/2016
  • Zinc Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
The arena was for the most part a ghost town.  When it was populated, with great maps, there was a fight between two bases.  It was mostly a glorified dueling arena.  I enjoyed flying in there from time to time and the fights were good but the numbers weren't.  

This enables a historical plane set and strategy that comes along with it.  Base defense being as important as base capture.  The split plane set is great too.  I can't remember reading about a P-51 getting into a dogfight with a P-38 too often.  Of course I could be missing something.

There were a lot of great fights last night and for the most part little HO'ing.  As far as vulching a field, I prefer to come up from a distant base and gain some alt.  If someone decides to roll from a capped base they deserve to get vulched.

Wether it works or not, we'll see.  But I appreciate the staff's efforts.  
:aok
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »
The arena was for the most part a ghost town.  When it was populated, with great maps, there was a fight between two bases.  It was mostly a glorified dueling arena.  I enjoyed flying in there from time to time and the fights were good but the numbers weren't.  

As I said before low numbers mean great fights.

This enables a historical plane set and strategy that comes along with it. Base defense being as important as base capture. The split plane set is great too. I can't remember reading about a P-51 getting into a dogfight with a P-38 too often. Of course I could be missing something.

Theres nothing historical about the setups the was they are now.

There were a lot of great fights last night and for the most part little HO'ing. As far as vulching a field, I prefer to come up from a distant base and gain some alt. If someone decides to roll from a capped base they deserve to get vulched.

Where you there last night? It was a total vulchfest. When you rolled from another base you would still be jumped by the horde because the map is so small.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »
If I remember correctly, before this setup was initiated...

All a good portion of the AvA regulars did in this forum was complain about some looser HO-tard, or this gang bang, or that ganking, or "that fight was totally unfair because that guy was on my 6".

Now the Arena has some action, it has some purpose, and it has some great fights. If you don't want to get vulched, fly from a field a few miles out. If you don't want to fight more than one opponent, the dueling arena is set up perfect for single fight action.

Seriously though, you can't expect HTC to maintain an arena for under 10 people. This game is designed to be played as a team. If you choose not to participate in that atmosphere then it's gonna be a rough ride.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 04:11:35 PM by Chapel »
Rolling Thunder

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »
The numbers dont mean **** if there arent any fights. Thats what people who never flown in the AvA dont understand. Six people in theres equals great fights 15+ equals to MA tactics, and when you add base capture you get vulching, its sad to see the AvA ruined just because they want more people in there.

:lol      

Kinda got them feathers ruffled a little there dont ya TK. If ya just want to dogfight go to the DA Furballing arena. That's all that is done there. And if there is only 6 on during the old AvA that usually ment that at least 3 vs 1 was happening. Say what ya want to but I been there and seen it to many times.

And the vulching thing...are ya just that silly to remember vulching in the old AvA. Man what a poor sport...lol At least with you not in there now wont be  nearly as many HO shots being taken.

Personlly I wish ya would stay in there and fly allied. My flying is improving every sortie and would love to meet ya in the air in my zeke and u in a P40. Figured P40 cuz it prob gonna be the better HO crate. :cry

Just a few barks from The Dog

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
Originally posted by meandog
Kinda got them feathers ruffled a little there dont ya TK. If ya just want to dogfight go to the DA Furballing arena. That's all that is done there. And if there is only 6 on during the old AvA that usually ment that at least 3 vs 1 was happening. Say what ya want to but I been there and seen it to many times.

This is what I want:

The Axis versus Allies arena is set up for historical gameplay.  There is a two sided war, a limited plane set, and reduced radar.

If there were six people in the AvA that would mean it was a 3v3 unless the avengers were on then they wouldnt switch sides to save thier lifes. Youv been here what.. three months? Get back to me when youve flown in there for six or seven years.

And meandog you will never be albe to beat me in a 1v1 EVER, and if you wanna try your luck ask me to the DA anytime you want.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 05:09:26 PM by Larry »
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
thanks to Oldman for making me understand how bad it is to have a zeke behind my P-40.

One of the nice features of AvA is that it does give you some idea what the real life experience was like.  In this case, it really makes you appreciate the odds faced by American pilots in the Pacific at the beginning of the war.  That P40B is an iron pig; it's the only fighter in AH that I think has no hope of ever being useful.  Your fights with me demonstrate that; typically you will win any 1 v 1 between us.

As to TrueKill's comments:  TK has been an AvA regular for a very long time, and many of the sentiments he expresses are shared by other regulars.  On the other hand, there's no question that the numbers are up, and consequently the chances to find some action here are up.  Let's stick with this idea for the next month and see how it goes.

TK too.

- oldman

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 05:42:20 PM »
It can't hurt to try something different. Years ago when it was populated around 50 or so on Tuesdays and Thursdays it was the best flying experiance I could find. The arena changed, in settings and atmosphere.

Now it seems it's changing back a bit to the old way, or at least giving some of the old things like base capture a try. Even with this like OM said..

"One of the nice features of AvA is that it does give you some idea what the real life experience was like. "

This is a much better experiance than the chess peice wars in the MA's

I applaud the AVA staff for trying something different. I'm sick of ther LWA and would love to see a populated AVA again.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline republic

• Silver Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 06:57:44 PM »
It's my hope that once the dweebs, squeakers, and armchair generals will soon tire of the limited planeset and go back to the MA.  The AvA has, in the past, the best arena to fight in, and it would be great to see some new faces.  I joined AH after 1 night in the AvA during my trial.  The AvA staffmembers have the unenviable task of maintaining an arena of hardcore players who can be difficult at times.

However, the AvA rules should be enforced by the AvA staff members, ESPECIALLY now that we have so many new pilots who have never flown in the AvA before.  
fair and balanced aircraft engagements. Vulching is frowned upon as is spawn camping. All players are expected to behave in a polite and chivalrous manner. Rude heckling and insulting behavior will not be tolerated by any AvA staff.

Either those are the rules, or they aren't.  Once squad can't follow the rules while another doesn't...  Pilots who are breaking the rules, whether accidentally or willfully, should be corrected...if necessary...ejected from the arena.

The AvA is about living history for a brief moment in time...the MA is about points and getting your name in pretty lights.  If the AvA doesn't have some semblance of rules of conduct, it's just a MA with country specific planesets...if we lose our soul to gain a few numbers...what's the point?
P-47 pilot

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »
Gentlemen,

For several RL reasons, 249 Sqn still had no opportunity to participate in this event. Our debut will be on Sunday, 13, 22:00 GMT (Zulu).

For what we have read in all threads, it looks like our Staff has hit the nail right in the head!

On behalf of 249, I say: thank you AvA Staff! And thank you to all pilots that, individually or with his squadrons, commited themselves into this event! Thank you all!

Sparrow
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »
IMHO, AvA should go back to the way it was.

I havn't played in the arena, but if its turning into a mini-MA, i'm not interested anymore. I go to the AvA for really good fights, and a break from MA play.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »
I flew in the new set up and thought it a rather ingenious solution.  I like it the way it is now, other than at the time I was on the axis was out numbered.  But that was not the set up's fault. :aok

Offline hrdhrd

• Zinc Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 09:50:22 PM »
Love it!
Shame there's always someone to ***** even though they don't want to be a part of it.
Onward and upward guys!!!!
~ The Avengers ~
Bomber Lead & Grunt Runner

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
Its tough to make a setup that appeases everyone. Some want a good fight, others want a good battle. The good thing is the game provides enough setups to cover the bases.

~AoM~