Author Topic: Two 353rd FG P-51s  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »
I missed it too. :confused:

I have to agree with Mus. Probably too late now, but the "metal" is all rather washed out and without tone/color. That is to say, it looks more like it was painted light grey than it was left unpainted. Unaliased anti-glare on the -B, so-so weathering/stains on both.

I do like the choice of markings, but looking at your other works, you've done much better.

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 06:37:51 PM »
:aok . Awesome job as always fence!

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I missed it too. :confused:

I have to agree with Mus. Probably too late now, but the "metal" is all rather washed out and without tone/color. That is to say, it looks more like it was painted light grey than it was left unpainted. Unaliased anti-glare on the -B, so-so weathering/stains on both.

I do like the choice of markings, but looking at your other works, you've done much better.

Excellent since the wings WERE painted light grey and the panel lines were filled and smooth.

[edit]
And the B model comes right from a photo and the D from a profile of a famous bird.  People need to get over the fact that ALL the planes were filthy worn out pieces of sheetmetal with bits of paint on them.  The 8th AF had England as a base and basically unlimited manpower and facilities.  The D model was the CO's bird and not going to be worn in anyway.  The picture of the B is represented as it is skinned.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:56:55 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »
Very nice, I hope we get a skin pack soon.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:24 AM »
Actually the wings were painted silver, not light grey, but only the wings and not the fuselage.

On top of that, silver is still reflective (even though it's paint, not natural metal). It would "look different" but not look overall flat and formless

EDIT: You shouldn't take it as a nitpick. IMO it's kind of important. It would be like my first P-47 attempt, or most IL2 BMF skins, you have to color in the details to give the illusion of metal (even beat up and distressed metal). I'm not saying it has to look like chrome, but now it looks like plastic.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »
Ya know I saw Krusty's reply, and then went and looked back over the other comments and realized that I was wasting my time trying to educate Krusty.

Guppy/Dan likes it, the 353 guys like it, and GREEBO likes it.  Thats good enough for me. :aok
Fencer

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »
How will any more of the  D pony skins get in? Since the cap that is on the total permitted has long since been met?

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 12:03:11 PM »
I asked HTC to delete my 357th FG skin, to allow the 353rd Guys to have a Group skin in the game.

However they will replace skins with better efforts.  The try and balance that though so they have several people's skins in game as much as possible.
Fencer

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Two 353rd FG P-51s
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 09:34:51 AM »
Fencer we in the 353rd really appreciate the time, effort, and  the results of your work.:aok  We also appreciate you asking to have another one of your skins removed to make room for the one you did for us.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV