Author Topic: Help me get the most out of ATTACK sorties  (Read 543 times)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
Help me get the most out of ATTACK sorties
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:15:27 PM »
Hi all.
My latest favorite thing to do in the game is to take up an attack bird and pretend I'm on the front lines in New Guinea, taking the fight to the bad guys.

The thing is, I'm not really sure what to do when I want to fly in attack mode.

Obviously there's alot to do during a base capture or in a mission oriented environment.  Specifically, though, I'm talking about when you're in the hangar and you want to take up an attack plane with some bombs, but don't have a specific target mission in mind.  

What are good targets of opportunity for attack?

I like to look for GV's- is there anywhere in particular I should focus my search?  

When attacking a base just for fun, what are good targets for a lone attacker?  I've been dropping my bombs on the town for no other reason than I don't know what else to drop on (and it's easier to get hits).

What is worth strafing with 50 cals?  With cannons?

Just looking for some ideas here.  Hope this all makes sense.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »
Drop on and strafe radar, ammo, and fuel bunkers. MGs work quite well on them. Or go for V-bases. I've seen two guys in P-38s completely obliterate one and have ords left over to loiter waiting for the drunks to get there.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Help me get the most out of ATTACK sorties
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3
Hi all.
My latest favorite thing to do in the game is to take up an attack bird and pretend I'm on the front lines in New Guinea, taking the fight to the bad guys.

The thing is, I'm not really sure what to do when I want to fly in attack mode.

Obviously there's alot to do during a base capture or in a mission oriented environment.  Specifically, though, I'm talking about when you're in the hangar and you want to take up an attack plane with some bombs, but don't have a specific target mission in mind.  

I like to look for GV's- is there anywhere in particular I should focus my search?  

When attacking a base just for fun, what are good targets for a lone attacker?  I've been dropping my bombs on the town for no other reason than I don't know what else to drop on (and it's easier to get hits).

If you're going to attack a base solo, hit the barracks.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »
If you are just attacking a base alone, I would say it's best to just pork it. hit Ords, Radar and Troops. That's about the only real damage a lone attacker can do in a aircraft at an Abase.

I only fly GV killing planes in Attack mode, simply because that's the only way you get points for the kills. Killing GV's in fighter mode don't give you any points from what I understand, but I maybe wrong.
"strafing"

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »
At least for me...the P47-40 with x1 500 lb'er, 10 rockets, and x2 1000 lb'ers is  the "Attack" mode workhorse.

See a friendly "V" base flashing and no air cons anywhere for grids....?

Up in the above mentioned monster and go dive-bomb the livin' crap out of 'em!

It's EASY to land 2-4 kills--no sweat!

When you see me landing multiple scalps, that's probably exactly what I did.

Make SURE you score it in "Attack" mode.

68ROX

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:16:37 PM »
Toonces I know what you mean by really enjoying attack mode lately I too have the same interested but I specifically enjoying JABO'ing CV Task groups... when someone calls out a location I will up either a JUG, or a HOG (normally the HOG) fully loaded and just practice my dive bombing.... I've gotten fairly decent at it too!!

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:22:52 PM »
What I usually do is look for a place where the enemy could either:

1) Fly from to drop on our CV, in which case I'll take out the ords
2) Spawn an M3 or Goon from in order to capture, in which case I'll take out the barracks.

If the ammo supply strat or troop supply strat is within reach, taking those down ( or much less often, the city) can be the best possible target you can hit to further the "war" efforts for your own country.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: Help me get the most out of ATTACK sorties
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3
Hi all.

SNIP

The lone porkers targets at a field are dar, ords, barracks, VH & fuels, as already stated.  When I say lone I mean just that.  Not talking of backing up a capture here.  However there are a couple of factors to consider.  Would porking troops hinder your sides opportunity to advance?  Are the enemy relying on them for resupply?  If not why bother.  VH killing..... is there a point?  It only stays down 15 min.  Does it spawn to one of your fields?  Are they using it to spawn to an attacked field for defence.   If not don't bother.  Fuels low priority unless it's on of your sides captured fields.  Then their worth some effort.  Ords and dar on the other hand are always good to get.

Shooting stuff......Why bother when there's rockets and bombs.  Why risk damage to your plane being so close to the target ack.  Save your ammo for any cons.  As to your question..... all things can be strafed but 50 cals may take a little longer to destroy the target but you do have more of those than a cannon plane has cannon.  

Town buildings stay down for 45 min.  Never hit a town if no one is taking that field..... your buggering up the towns timing for a potential attack.   How many times you seen troops running and a building pops?  Fair few I bet.... well done:rolleyes:

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:54:27 AM »
Hello Toonces,

Other than attacking a specific target with my squad, you mentioned the best fun when in attack mode...  Killing vehicles!  It is a hoot to go to flashing bases and cities with no obvious air cons and open those tin cans with thousand pounders!  Also check spawn points in hotly contested areas for those steel roaches. Enjoy:D

Oink
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Re: Help me get the most out of ATTACK sorties
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 07:05:07 AM »
Originally posted by LYNX
Town buildings stay down for 45 min.  Never hit a town if no one is taking that field..... your buggering up the towns timing for a potential attack.  

If your a lone attacker please don't hit the town "just because its easy"

Lynx is 100% right above.  If no-one is working the base and you have no backup or plans to capture leave it.

DAR, ORD, Troops,  Ack on base is always good because it may enable incompetent friendlies to stay alive for more than 2 minutes if they are trying to cap/vulch.

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »
Thanks for the inputs guys, especially about hitting the town.  That had never occurred to me.  I'll refrain from dropping buildings on fields near the foward edge of battle.

Thanks again.
Toonces
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 12:50:16 AM »
I like trains...

Their strategic importance in the overall war is negligible, but they're a moving target that shoots back, and, well, there's just something right about a P-47 attacking trains...