Author Topic: Never lose sight of the enemy  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Never lose sight of the enemy
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 12:58:35 AM »
I might go so far as to suggest that, once you have developed a significant amount of SA, you don't NEED to look at the enemy all the time. If there's somebody behind me I will double check my "mental image" and then look forward to pull off my next move. One example. Basically I know where he is, he hasn't moved from the last E status I gauged he had, I know I have a small window of time in which he will still be there.

Same principle as forcing an overshoot, or an under-the-nose snapshot. Once you get to a certain point, you don't NEED to see him all the time.

But it helps! :D

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 04:57:10 AM »
That's one of the nice things about the X52 stick. It has a neat little pinky switch that can be set for up. Works like a charm.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »
I once heard an actual fighter pilot, F4c, say that he points his hat at the enemy and never lets them get behind his head.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
Top of Thread Post
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »
Fairly early on REN showed me how to setup my views all around in TA.  Then he instructed me to NEVER lose sight of the enemy and learn to fly my plane looking out from the different views.   I'm still learning that lesson.

I suck at dogfighting, too many variables and an antiquated setup that needs to be updated.  I don't use this handle in game.  My score is actually in single digits in EW sometimes and below 80 in MW.  I'm gettin better at the other stuff, but dogfightin is gonna take awhile.

For the naysayers that EW is easy, try coming up against the SOAR crew.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »
So am I the only one who flies with the padlock view?

I lock on to a con and my view pans to him.  I also use the hat to jump to other views but as soon as I release it it snaps back to the con targeted.

When I am attaching buffs I don't use the padlock view as I can judge my slashing attacks better looking straight.

It does not work well in the F4Us though because of the pilot protection plate above your head.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »
Great post, It must be the number one essential skill of a good pilot. It cannot be over emphasized to have your hatswitch views set to there their best advantage. Especially so in f4s.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 03:17:22 AM »
Originally posted by Solar10
So am I the only one who flies with the padlock view?

I lock on to a con and my view pans to him.  I also use the hat to jump to other views but as soon as I release it it snaps back to the con targeted.

When I am attaching buffs I don't use the padlock view as I can judge my slashing attacks better looking straight.

It does not work well in the F4Us though because of the pilot protection plate above your head.

one on one where i know no one else can inflence the fight i use it.
but typicaly in ma i would rather not be distracted by my veiw changing as my plane rolls dips and dives. i tried it its too distracting for my taxed sa especialy when i end up looking at the seat when i need to be seeing my gauges lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V