Author Topic: X52  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
X52
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 02:40:50 AM »
I admitt I (well my wife) bought me the Pro from the Saitek site when they first started offering it @ $250.00.  I had the following problems.
(1) the first one had a bad mode switch.
(2) the second had a bad hat switch
(3) the third had a bad led (later corrected with a software update)

I kept the third return simply for the overall feel the stick gave me.  The software fix was a bonus.  So far so good with this one for about seven month's now.

MGD

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 02:02:27 PM »
I whish they would put a mini track ball on the throttle....

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »
Originally posted by Imoutfishing
I admitt I (well my wife) bought me the Pro from the Saitek site when they first started offering it @ $250.00.  I had the following problems.
(1) the first one had a bad mode switch.
(2) the second had a bad hat switch
(3) the third had a bad led (later corrected with a software update)

I kept the third return simply for the overall feel the stick gave me.  The software fix was a bonus.  So far so good with this one for about seven month's now.

MGD

do they take them back no questions asked???
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline eh

• Copper Member
X52
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »
FWIW I gave up on the X52 twisty after three patient weeks of practice, and scrounged  a set of used Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals from an ex-gamer up the street. Nose bounce is pretty much gone, but wow, what a marketing strategy! Without the pedals, which add substantially to the cost, the stick isn't very good. It's better going for a CH rig from the start.

If sloehand is right, this X52 will be gone in about 6 months with the heavy use it will get from me now. At that time, I will try a CH stick together with the throttle and rudder pedals that I already have. And I will gradually switch over to CH as the Saitek pedals and throttle die off.

Now... any tips on deadzones, and scaling for the Saitek pedals? Right now I am using default scaling in Aces High, and a deadzone of one in the Windows setup.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 05:43:47 AM »
I've never had any issues with mine. I'd gone through an MS sidewinder and 2 logicraps within a year before I got the X52.
I gave it a thorough caning in both AH and X-plane for a year as a twisty before I got the pedals. The only thing I've noticed is the matt grip finish is wearing off on the throttle and shiny black plastic is showing through. I've never noticed any nose or tower bounce nor have I had any centring issues. My 20 month old daughter loves them too, if they can endure her affections I'm pretty sure they'll last a while yet. :lol
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline 1cajun

• Probation 1/25/2016
  • Zinc Member
X52
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »
Don't want to hijack this thread but I have had an X52 for 2 years and never had a problem.  :noid
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 11:57:24 PM »
Here's a random question; anybody know how to get the gunk off the adjustment knobs of both the X52 and the EVO? I've got one X52 and two EVOs...all of the metal knobs get covered in greenish goo after a while, even when just sitting unused. It's like the air is enough to corrode them.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 01:47:20 AM »
That sounds like oxidation. I generally give my stuff a regular clean as a matter of course particularly since we live in a high salinity area being so close to the ocean. I just use a light spray 3 in 1 silicone spray lubricant on a cloth and just gently wipe the whole set down paying particular attention to the high use areas that tend to attract residue.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 02:18:19 AM »
Heh...I dunno about salinity, but I see the ocean out my window and have carrier jets roaring over my head half the month. ;) My silicone can's empty...need me another.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
thanks for all the input guys Salute
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
I've had the Saitek Cyborg Evo for over 2 years now.  Before this I had a cheap Logitech thing which had no rudder, and only 2 buttons.

I've found the Evo to be a great stick, but does anyone have any tips on how to get the best use out of it? (I don't use the 6 buttons on its base at all yet).

Also, could someone please tell me what the criteria are for AH to take a plane off autopilot (by the movement of the stick)?  I've had some problems that when I reduce the deadband, the stick will appear to move a tiny bit and the plane eventually comes off autopilot/auto takeoff.

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »
Originally posted by Yossarian
I've had the Saitek Cyborg Evo for over 2 years now.  Before this I had a cheap Logitech thing which had no rudder, and only 2 buttons.

I've found the Evo to be a great stick, but does anyone have any tips on how to get the best use out of it? (I don't use the 6 buttons on its base at all yet).

Also, could someone please tell me what the criteria are for AH to take a plane off autopilot (by the movement of the stick)?  I've had some problems that when I reduce the deadband, the stick will appear to move a tiny bit and the plane eventually comes off autopilot/auto takeoff.

Yossarian

That's your stick degrading in quality.

That 'movement' that the calibration menu shows is the stick spiking.

Short of changing the values in the JSM file for your stick (do a forum search here for 'Stick Dampening') there's not a lot you can do.

The same thing happened to my Evo.

Increasing dead-band is a band-aid fix and will make it harder for you dogfight.

If you got 2 years out of your EVO you're doing well, they're not made to last.

They're great when they're new but they degrade quite quickly.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
Ok, thanks for the advice

Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 07:31:42 AM »
Originally posted by eh
It's a great stick. Controlling for nose bounce though is still my major complaint. Have tried everything, and it is still a biotch!!!!!!!!!!!! Without deadband and damping set WAY high I am pretty useless with this stick. (I have tried every curve known to man for rudder and pitch, to no avail.)

Nothing, but nothing, performs like a MSFFPro.

:cry

I have the x52 pro and the sidewinder ff. I think I fly better with the sidewinder to tell you the truth. However, it has a nasty habbit of blinking right. I assume because of the old drivers. I do like the x52 pro though. I like the way you can set the many buttons and controls.

As for the bouncing, I found that not loading the SST program really helps. I had mine perfect and then loaded the SST and wham the bouncing started. So I figure if you keep the SST set up a profile for AH. At least I think that will help. There's also a calibration program on the Saitek website that should help. As of right now I have it working pretty darn good. I have some deadzones set up at desk top and at the AH level.

I keep the FF for backup and it's a great backup stick!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter