Author Topic: Tigers what's the point?  (Read 744 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 05:14:41 AM »
Originally posted by Rollins
And Spelling has 2296 kills on splitatom.
Grammar has 3291 kills on Snowey.
Total that up and it is 5587 common knowledge vs. him=
Pwned by grammar school.

:rofl :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 06:44:08 AM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
I cant recall ever having a shot bounce off a panzer when I am sitting in a tiger

I've had shots bounce off M3s.  The Tiger isn't what it use to be.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 06:57:56 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse

That happened even back in the "good old days"
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 07:58:38 AM »
My Tiger is a joke .....everything kills it w/ one shot .....I gave up on it
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 08:01:21 AM »
Definitely Lusche.  When the Tiger came out I had an M3 run by me and take 3-4 shots in the process.  I couldn't believe it at first so I used the other type of ammo than what I'd first scored hits with, but it made no difference.
So I asked HT in the next blue Q&A session whether light GVs should recoil somehow from a high velocity impact somewhere else than the empty sheetmetal, e.g. in the drivetrain parts or something.  He said he'd have to run some numbers, and that's the last I heard of it.

It might be some bug, because now it's pretty easy to kill GVs with an HE round's splash damage.  I recently had an M3 hide right behind the VH near a vbase's map room, and killed it by shooting the corner of the VH it was next to.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse

Thats no fault of the tiger, its the fault of the donkey inside.

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
By the way it has happened to me too.  Even had ricochets off jeeps.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 08:06:05 AM »
Originally posted by splitatom
and where did he shoot you rear ok thats real max gunsight 1 hit front :huh wtf and:furious
:huh

I get killed by 1-hit-wonders sometimes...mostly panzers.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »
Originally posted by trotter
do you think snowey reads his posts before he races to press Submit Reply? If he reads them, do you think he finds anything wrong with them?
No and No.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »
I have had Tiger AP rounds bounce off m3's m16's.

I didn't really care much, because i know GV's are only there for those people who can't fly the aeroplanes so realise that there is no point in doing a lot of coad for a side show.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 09:27:49 AM »
So there I was, sitting in my AP loaded Tiger just outside the hanger responding to an encroaching Tiger that was simply rolling across my midsized field seemingly unharmed by the dozen or so ack guns pounding  away at him.  It was just we two as it was late in the arena.  As he passed across my field of fire not more than 500 yards in front of me I laid one round into his left side just above the wheels.  As he rolled around my position right to left I laid a second round into his rear panel.  He then turned to face me as I had moved towards him closing range to about 300 yards.  Face to face I laid another round in tight just below the gun mantle, bewteen turret and body.  Im thinking it would be nice to kill this guy.  Then he fires a single round at me and Bang!  Im back in the hanger.  Oh well.........as far as a tank sim, AcesHigh leaves alot to be desired.  Still a great aeroplane game though ;)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
I agree that the Tiger1 is nowhere close to it's RL counterpart. Sherman tankers in WW2 have related that the only way a M4 could kill a Tiger was from the rear. A frontal shot shouldn't kill a Tiger, even at "point blank" range. At best 1 in 10 shots should disable the turret at knife fighting range.

I can only hope that the model is tweaked in the next patch, or it's perk value is dropped below the firefly level.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Tigers what's the point?
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
Originally posted by MajIssue
I agree that the Tiger1 is nowhere close to it's RL counterpart. Sherman tankers in WW2 have related that the only way a M4 could kill a Tiger was from the rear. A frontal shot shouldn't kill a Tiger, even at "point blank" range. At best 1 in 10 shots should disable the turret at knife fighting range.

I can only hope that the model is tweaked in the next patch, or it's perk value is dropped below the firefly level.

We don't have a Sherman, so that is irrelevant.

As far as i know a frontal shot from the 17 pdr gun on the Firefly could and should defeat the Tiger's frontal armour at ranges below 1000 yards, and iirc you could double that range if they used the sabot round.

According to Jentz (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.), "The Tiger's armor was invulnerable to attack from most tank guns firing normal armor-piercing shells or shot at ranges over 800 meters, including the American 75 mm and the Russian 76 mm. It is obvious that the 17-pdr. firing normal APCBC rounds could defeat the frontal armor of the Tiger I at most combat ranges for tank vs. tank actions in Europe. However, by 23 June 1944, only 109 Shermans with 17-pdrs. had landed in France along with six replacements. By the end of the war, on 5 May 1945, the British 21st Army Group possessed 1,235 Sherman tanks with 17-pdrs., while the remaining 1,915 Sherman tanks were all equipped with the 75 mm M3 gun".

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger1.htm
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:43:01 AM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --