Author Topic: disappearing plane icons  (Read 510 times)

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
disappearing plane icons
« on: January 06, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
Tried searching but I don't think my browser likes it (or I'm dumb :) ). Didn't come up with any results. Not sure if this should be posted here or in tech support.

Anyways, I've noticed that if I'm looking out of my plane at different angles, say forward right, or up left, etc. all the plane icons disappear. I still see the plane(s) just fine but their icons disappear. Just wondering if I'm having some sort of graphics conflict or if that's normal? It's been happening for a while but I didn't recall that always being the case.

Makes it fun quickly determining friend from foe in a furball.
-AoM-

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
i've been having the same problem

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:47:47 PM »
i have that problem to some times
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
As do I, but since its only at certain angles, I think this is intended (not a bug) to simulate not being able to identify aircraft at certain angles.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
I don't lose all the plane icons but it seems sometimes at certain distances/angles I lose some of them for a while.  I mostly notice it when chasing after buffs.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Boozebag

• Zinc Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
Find I lose them mostly in a soft gun. Don't Know why.
Boozebag, NDM Parachute Instructor  OS:W 7
MB:EVGA 780i SLI FTW~CPU:Q9550@3.4~Cooler
Zealman 9700~Mem:Crucial Ballistix 800 4 2GX1~
GPU:EVGA GTX285 FTW~HD Main:2 150G VelociRaptor RAID 0~PSU:Corsair CMPSU-HX1000

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:16:06 PM »
This happens to me as well.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:54:30 AM »
I lose them usually when looking directly on top of them (Near the ground).

Some times in my buff guns, I lose them at certain angles. It might be my planes metal structure getting in the way - just modeled a little sloppy? Not to dig on any of the tech staff, hell what do I know :rolleyes:
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:06:09 PM »
I've also noticed fighters losing icons lately. In the past, bombers would periodically lose icons, but I hadn't seen this in fighters.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »
I've had this happen as well.  Similar to what bnasty describes.  Nearest I can figure, it has to do with the default head settings and the angles at which you would view the planes, if you hadn't adjusted your head position.  I see it most often with the osty, the M16 and the field guns.  If the plane should be behind some framing or the sides of the gunsight...it doesn't display the icon.

Try adjusting with 'head up' or 'head down' next time you find a plane doing this and see if the icon reappears.

Just my 2 cents...

With planes near the ground, I bet it's deliberate b/c they should be lost in the ground clutter and hard to identify (they're painted in camo, right?) :)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
Since the introduction of formations, buff icons have always disappeared when a direct line of sight is lost on the player controlled bomber.  Usually a drone or part of the drone is partially blocking view on the lead when that happens.  Always assumed that to be a minor bug.

Plane icons near the ground have always disappeared when viewed from certian angles and distances from above.  Have always assumed that to be either intentional, or a game limitation masquerading as an intentional feature :)

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 01:36:44 AM »
This could be while viewing a spit at 20k. From playing around with it, I too believe it has to do with head view settings. If I switch back to the default head setting while looking at a plane with no icon, the icon reappears.
-AoM-

Offline zilla

• Copper Member
disappearing plane icons
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 07:08:19 AM »
It happens with GV icon for vehicle directly in front of you a 2-3k. If you turn your head you can see them but not if you look straight at them.
Copper is proper