Author Topic: Hit %, whats average, good & bad  (Read 770 times)

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
Hit %, whats average, good & bad
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:00:59 PM »
I got to looking at my score page today and saw my hit % was 0.06118.

Is this average, or below average?

Does this mean that 94% of my bullets arent hitting?

I've put my scores in an excell spreadsheed from when I started and am seeing a definate upward trend in my hit %, is this an accurate indicator of my gunnery?
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Hit %, whats average, good & bad
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »
Originally posted by Coshy
I've put my scores in an excell spreadsheed from when I started and am seeing a definate upward trend in my hit %, is this an accurate indicator of my gunnery?

Yes and no.

Hit% is not only depending on pure aiming skill, but also on plane choice, and what style you are flying. Someone who is mostly hunting bombers will have a higher hit% value that someone with exactly same skill level but only furballing. Cannon plane pilots tend to take more difficult off-angle snapshots at long ranges because even a single round can do major damage, wherease a pilot flying a P-51B would wait for a better gun solution, thus increasing hit%.

And of course someone who doesn't care if he is in fighter mode and strafes enemy towns to support a capture will wreck his hit%.

That being said, a 6% hit percentage isn't bad. I did a survey a few tours ago:

BTW, Spatula has made a small tool to track all your stats & kills without the need for any spreadsheets.
It can be found here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:17:41 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »
I know my hit % isn't all that great but as long as I evetually hit what I'm aiming at, i'm content :D
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Re: Hit %, whats average, good & bad
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »
Originally posted by Coshy
I got to looking at my score page today and saw my hit % was 0.06118.

Is this average, or below average?

Does this mean that 94% of my bullets arent hitting?

FYI, about 99.93% of your shots aren't hitting.:aok

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Re: Hit %, whats average, good & bad
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:28 PM »
Originally posted by DoNKeY
FYI, about 99.93% of your shots aren't hitting.:aok

donkey

No, its 94%. Check his stats on web scorepage.

He had the 0.06% taken from ingame score display, which is misleading formatted.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Hit %, whats average, good & bad
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
No, its 94%. Check his stats on web scorepage.

He had the 0.06% taken from ingame score display, which is misleading formatted.

Ok.  I didn't check his stats, and was just going off what he stated his percentage was.  I'll take your word for it though as I really don't care enough to check it.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Re: Hit %, whats average, good & bad
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:35:41 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Yes and no.

Hit% is not only depending on pure aiming skill, but also on plane choice, and what style you are flying. Someone who is mostly hunting bombers will have a higher hit% value that someone with exactly same skill level but only furballing. Cannon plane pilots tend to take more difficult off-angle snapshots at long ranges because even a single round can do major damage, wherease a pilot flying a P-51B would wait for a better gun solution, thus increasing hit%.

And of course someone who doesn't care if he is in fighter mode and strafes enemy towns to support a capture will wreck his hit%.

That being said, a 6% hit percentage isn't bad. I did a survey a few tours ago:

BTW, Spatula has made a small tool to track all your stats & kills without the need for any spreadsheets.
It can be found here.
[/QUOTE
ok..i'm confused then........in LW, my % is 7.28%(these are all in a P38L)....and i only kilt one bomber.... a lancaster. the others were a p47, a bf110G2(and i actually managed to dodge his HO attempt!) and a panzer(although i know i didn't kill him, but i was "lighting him up" for friendly GV's.....guess i had enough rounds in him to score it to me, although i was in fighter mode...and this leads me to believe that didn't count towards anything, including my hit%. so...if i maintain 5-7%, then how come i still die so much, and still feel like i suck so bad?

<>

ooo....slapshot.......if you're reading this, sorry i didn't make it on on thursday....i got home from work with a headache that felt like someone dropped a mighty big bomb directly on my head....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »
Your gunnery is bad if you consistently fail to take out your targets where you know you probably should have. The hit % stats are only a useful guide if there are no other variables affecting your stats except a change in your gunnery skill. E.G. - They're only a useful indicator of changing competency if you are sticking to the same aircraft (hence the same guns), same convergence, same sort of fighting style, and engaging in the same sort of fights etc. If you are changing any of those you can expect your hit% figures to fluctuate independent of your base gunnery skill level.

Different gun types, calibers etc require different techniques for successfully stopping other aircraft. You can't adopt a 50cal mentality when using a 30mm spud gun etc.

I guess what im trying to say if you are not chopping and changing aircrafts and stick to one and to one fighting style, then an increasing hit% trend could well indicate an improvement in gunnery.

What is your main ride?

Check out my score/stats app too, it provides lots a good stats to gauge performance over time. See sig below.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 11:24:31 PM »
Just so I understand, according to that graph, a higher number is better? If thats the case I'm not near as bad as I thought I was.

I truly thought my aim sucked donkey nuggets. To the extent I've been flying a bit offline & in the TA just following the green crosshair and seeing what a good sight picture looks like for the ranges I usually shoot at.

At the moment my main rides are, and yes I'm becoming embarrased by this, the spit16 & LA7. For attack roles I use the 110G2, the F6F or the P47. I've just recently started exploring the K4, but I was convinced my aim sucked before that.

I downloaded your APP, very informative. To me scores/stats are a means for me to judge trends, am I improving, but I also realize that aircraft familiarity plays a large part in that. So if I know I've been flying a bunch of P51 sorties (hate that dang thing) I know the stats are going to take a hit, and I take that into consideration when evaluating the importance of a particular set of stats.

Thanks for the answers & insight.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:29:55 PM by Coshy »
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »
Coshy:

When it comes to gunnery, there's just no substitute for practice. I can't recommend spending time with the drones enough! I hadn't done it for a while, and my % dropped little by little over time. Over the last couple weeks I've spent 30 minutes or so before each flight session just doing deflection shots. I've come in off angle, then barrel rolled to prevent overshooting, and then coming in again from the top of the roll. Once energy bleeds down, it's time for a low yo yo inside the drone circle.

Do it a while tracers on, to see where your misses are, then turn em off -- since the whole goal is to burn the angle between gunsight and target into your brain!

Doing this I've seen my hit % go from ~5% (as bad as its been for a long time), up to 10% in just a few weeks. There's no substitute for just having the automatic sense of where you need to point your plane to get the shot!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:16 PM »
Kills Hit Percentage     11.46%
13 sorties. I think my gunnery is very poor in contrast to my acm. always have problems hitting targets infront of me. or in a simple turn, but the snapshots and weird angles I always seem to nail.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 03:34:45 AM »
0-3%   Not acceptable.
3-6%   Average but still not that great.
6-10%   Better You hit most things but still miss a few.
10-15%  Any decent stick would want something above 10%.
15% +  Your a great shot or a scorepotato bomber only shooting dweeb.

My 2 cents
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 04:27:41 AM »
I played this game since 2002 and never got over 5%.

On the other hand, I almost never bother with changing attack/fighter mode and bomb and strife regardless. Being a trigger happy Jug pilot with 3700 rounds at his disposal, that I am not paying for, may have something to do with it too.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 04:46:06 AM »
I have never gone above 0.5 %.I just love shooting the ground on takeoffs and landings.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by RumbleB
Kills Hit Percentage     11.46%
13 sorties. I think my gunnery is very poor in contrast to my acm. always have problems hitting targets infront of me. or in a simple turn, but the snapshots and weird angles I always seem to nail.

Sounds like me ... you have a better chance of surviving when I am on your dead 6.

My fighter hit percentage always suffers cause if I am near a base and some ack or some other object needs to be taken down ... I will chip in and shoot at it even tho I am in "fighter" mode.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."