Author Topic: Cholesterol metabolism  (Read 788 times)

Offline Scatcat

• Copper Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »
I hope it works for you, but I got my doubts (diet and exercise alone) just based on your numbers.

Anyway, I really don't think it will hurt your pilot slot.  Its okay to try diet and exercise for a while because thats what the docs will try first anyway.  If you need to be on a medicine, a waiver is easy to get.  I would not stress out to much about it.

BTW, don't start taking over-the-counter niacin or magic voodoo dust, cause you can't take that and fly anyway.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
I forgot to mention fish oil suppliments. Omega-3 is proven to lower cholesterol. Promise and Smart Balance margarine are loaded with Omega-3.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:53 PM »
By necessity, I have experience in lowering cholesterol.

I went from 255 total to 97 total in 3 months.

You don't need to do that, I think.

Here's the no sh** solution for you... well, it's the lotsa sh** solution actually.

No harmful side effects, no waivers, no nothing and it's actually what most doctors suggest for healthy internals anyway.

Metamucil.

Yep, Metamucil.

Also known as psyllium fiber..... read this.

You can realistically expect a 7-10% drop in total cholesterol if you take 1 teaspoon in water three times a day.

You'll get it down without really changing your lifestyle at all.

If 7-10% isn't enough of a cut, I can suggest a couple of other ways to drop it some without much of a lifestyle change.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:36:53 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Scatcat

• Copper Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
Originally posted by Scatcat
I hope it works for you, but I got my doubts (diet and exercise alone) just based on your numbers.

Anyway, I really don't think it will hurt your pilot slot.  Its okay to try diet and exercise for a while because thats what the docs will try first anyway.  If you need to be on a medicine, a waiver is easy to get.  I would not stress out to much about it.

BTW, don't start taking over-the-counter niacin or magic voodoo dust, cause you can't take that and fly anyway.

FYI,

Applicable regs AFI 48-123:

A4.29.2. Flying Classes I and IA. In addition to A.4.29.1.
A4.29.2.2. Any confirmed (repeated) serum fasting LDL cholesterol in excess of 190 mg/dl (one
or less cardiac risk factor) or 160 mg/dl (two or more cardiac risk factors) is disqualifying. Aviator
may remain on flying status for up to 1 year (from the date the LDL cholesterol was first identified
to meet the above criteria) while undergoing non-pharmacological intervention to achieve acceptable
values.
A4.29.1. Flying Classes II and III.
A4.29.1.15. Hypercholesterolemia controlled by medication other than resin binders.

There is a medicine that doesn't require a waiver called Questran.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:43:34 PM by Scatcat »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 09:58:35 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
I forgot to mention fish oil suppliments. Omega-3 is proven to lower cholesterol. Promise and Smart Balance margarine are loaded with Omega-3.

I disagree, although I have seen a lot of people say this is so. I have been unable to find any reliable studies that confirm that fish oil/Omega 3 lowers LDL cholesterol. In fact the opposite may be true.

That does not mean that fish oil/ Omega 3 is not a good thing; it is. It just doesn't lower LDL.

From the National Institute of Health

Hypertriglyceridemia (fish oil / EPA plus DHA)

There is strong scientific evidence from human trials that omega-3 fatty acids from fish or fish oil supplements (EPA + DHA) significantly reduce blood triglyceride levels.

Benefits appear to be dose-dependent. Fish oil supplements also appear to cause small improvements in high-density lipoprotein ("good cholesterol"); however, increases (worsening) in low-density lipoprotein levels (LDL/"bad cholesterol") are also observed.

It is not clear if alpha-linolenic acid significantly affects triglyceride levels, and there is conflicting evidence in this area.The American Heart Association has published recommendations for EPA + DHA. Because of the risk of bleeding from omega-3 fatty acids, a qualified healthcare provider should be consulted prior to starting treatment with supplements.

There is growing evidence that reducing C-Reactive Protein (CRP) is beneficial towards favorable cardiovascular outcomes, although additional research is pending in this area. The data on fish oils and CRP levels is mixed.

The key part for those of us with heart disease is this (check out the Welsh DART trial): high Omega 3 intake can reduce your chance of another heart event by ~20-30%.

Secondary cardiovascular disease prevention (fish oil / EPA plus DHA)

Several well-conducted randomized controlled trials report that in people with a history of heart attack, regular consumption of oily fish or fish oil/omega-3 supplements reduces the risk of non-fatal heart attack, fatal heart attack, sudden death, and all-cause mortality (death due to any cause).

Most patients in these studies were also using conventional heart drugs, suggesting that the benefits of fish oils may add to the effects of other therapies.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 04:12:18 AM »
Originally posted by Russian
Does anyone know, in the know how, the time frame for a large doze of cholesterol to metabolize back to normal levels in adult male?

The reason I'm asking is if it would be viable to retake cholesterol test only after a day of original that scored what seems to be way too high score (total 284).

Thanks,

284? Bro, lipitor is your friend - ditch the sour cream.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 04:28:43 AM »
Fibre will take the level down, - just as said about oatmeal.
How's your blood pressure?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:42 AM »
Ive been doing the cholesterol battle for a few years.  

We seem to have a family history of it running high.  When Im not on the meds, Im anywhere between 240 and 280.  Diet and exercise helped the HDL out (Im usually 53-59) but just had a tough time shoving the LDL down.

Your Trigs are way high, you want those under 150.

On the good side, you've caught this stuff early so you can do battle with it now.

As for blowing the test from eating poorly a few days before....everything Ive read says that wont usually effect the test.  Based on your other 2 followups, its still high.  

Usually they wait 4-6 weeks to retest.

Fish Oil helps a bit, as Toad mentioned.  Ground Flaxseed (at your local GNC) added to some lowfat yogurt can help too.  

The biggest thing is your diet, cut the fats.  If you are still high despite those changes, welcome to the world of statins  :)  Im on pravastatin, a generic form of Pravachol.  Its brought me down to 209 (HDL 59, Trigs 99)

Im still working to get results like Toad  ;)

Some of the other ideas posted above are good.  Go lean on the meats.

Cholesterol is one phase of the battle, hows your blood sugar and blood pressure?

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 07:34:21 AM »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 08:32:35 AM »
Yep, LP, the Mayo Clinic agrees with the NIH. Fish Oil/ Omega 3 may help boost your good HDL but it also may increase your bad LDL. Not something Russian would want to do unless he has a previous history of serious heart disease; then the reduced risk of MI is worth the slight boost in LDL.

Mayo:

Hypertriglyceridemia (fish oil / EPA plus DHA)
Fish oil supplements also appear to cause small improvements in high-density lipoprotein ("good cholesterol") by 1-3%.

However, increases (worsening) in low-density lipoprotein levels (LDL/"bad cholesterol") by 5-10% are also observed. Therefore, for individuals with high blood levels of total cholesterol or low-density lipoprotein, significant improvements will likely not be seen, and a different treatment should be selected.

It is not clear if alpha-linolenic acid significantly affects triglyceride levels, and there is conflicting evidence in this area.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Yep, LP, the Mayo Clinic agrees with the NIH. Fish Oil/ Omega 3 may help boost your good HDL but it also may increase your bad LDL. Not something Russian would want to do unless he has a previous history of serious heart disease; then the reduced risk of MI is worth the slight boost in LDL.

Correct, my numbers for HDL and Trigly are good enough for the airforce. My pressure is also fine....

Thanks guys...

I'm going to switch my diet to 'red rice', if I can find it around here, salads and nuts. I don't want to start eating medicine just yet.. motivation is strong since I can almost see finish line.

For exercise, my friend suggested to run 2.5 miles in the morning and evening.

Thanks for the help, lads. I appreciate it very much.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »
I think you want red yeast rice capsules. You can pick it up at any decent health food store. You'll probably have to guesstimate how much to take but you'll figure it out over time.

This stuff is generally touted as an alternative to the statins. It may be; I know people that swear by it. So far, I haven't tried it; I just stuck with the statins because they have other benefits for people with heart disease that I have not as yet heard of as benefits of the rry.

From the NIH site linked previously, on red yeast rice. They give it an A for lowering cholesterol, so it might be worth a shot since you won't technically be on a prescription drug when the AF asks.

High cholesterol

Since the 1970s, human studies have reported that red yeast lowers blood levels of total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein/LDL ("bad cholesterol"), and triglyceride levels.Other products containing red yeast rice extract can still be purchased, mostly over the Internet. However, these products may not be standardized, and effects are not predictable. For lowering cholesterol, there is better evidence for using prescription drugs such as lovastatin.  Grade A.

Coronary heart disease

Preliminary evidence shows that taking Monascus purpureus by mouth may result in cardiovascular benefits and improve blood flow. Additional study is needed before a firm recommendation can be made. Grade  C

Diabetes

Early human evidence suggests the potential for benefits in diabetics. Additional study is needed before a firm recommendation can be made. Grade C.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:32:38 PM by Toad »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »
Russian, I tanked my total cholesterol in 90 days on a severe vegetarian diet that avoided ALL fat and almost ALL foods that contained any cholesterol.

In short, if it had fat or cholesterol in it, I didn't eat it. Dropped ~155 points in 90 days, probably less time than that. I just had the tests 90 days apart.

You probably don't have to take that drastic an approach; my excuse is that I was scared shirtless at the time. Right now my C numbers are @ 120-130 and I'm not on the severe program. They actually told me 97 was too low, to pick it up some.

If you are interested, my doctor had me write out my program on how I did it. I have it as a Word file. I'd be happy to send it along if you want to look it over. Send me a PM if you want it.

Good luck! Have fun in UPT. If you're ready for the experience, you'll have a blast. Believe it or not AH will help you.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »
Drink pomegranate juice too!

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Drink pomegranate juice too!

I'll search for that in local store...

What about a glass of red wine? any issues with that?