Author Topic: Migs buried in iraq  (Read 1420 times)

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
Migs buried in iraq
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:20:32 AM »
Origins:   The al Taqqadum air field west of Baghdad in Iraq, a sandy wasteland surrounded by high dunes off the main Baghdad-to-Jordan highway, was the focus of intense search-and-destroy activity after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003; its vast desert spaces were thought to be a likely location for missile launchers or aircraft from which chemical or biological strikes against U.S. troops might be launched.

What military search teams eventually found at al Taqqadum, in July 2003, were remnants of the Iraqi Air Force as pictured above: a reported 30 to 40 planes, including several MiG-25 and Su-25 ground attack jets, buried more than 10 feet beneath tons of soil and covered with camouflage netting. According to the Pentagon, at least one of the MiG-25s was found because searchers spotted its twin tail fins protruding from the sand. Some of the planes had been wrapped in plastic sheeting to protect their electronics and machinery from the sand (and some had had their wings removed), but others were interred with little or no protection from the sand or the elements. The recovery teams had to use large earth-moving equipment to uncover the aircraft.

The discovery at al Taqqadum was not announced to the public until a month later, in a press briefing delivered by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld:

WASHINGTON, Aug. 6, 2003 — American forces have found Russian fighter jets buried in the Iraqi desert, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in an Aug. 5 press briefing.

"We'd heard a great many things had been buried, but we had not known where they were, and we'd been operating in that immediate vicinity for weeks and weeks and weeks . . . 12, 13 weeks, and didn't know they were (there)," Rumsfeld said.

The secretary said he wasn't sure how many such aircraft had been found, but noted, "It wasn't one or two."

He said it's a "classic example" of the challenges the Iraqi Survey Group is facing in finding weapons of mass destruction in the country.

"Something as big as an airplane that's within . . . a stone's throw of where you're functioning, and you don't know it's there because you don't run around digging into everything on a discovery process," Rumsfeld explained. "So until you find somebody who tells you where to look, or until nature clears some sand away and exposes something over time, we're simply not going to know.

"But, as we all know," he added, "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

A U.S. military search team examines a Cold War-era MiG-25R Foxbat B, the fastest combat aircraft today, that lay buried beneath the sands in Iraq. Several MiG-25s and Su-25 ground attack jets have been found buried at al-Taqqadum air field west of Baghdad

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:23:04 AM by TwinBoom »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
Clean'em up, bring'em home, and put them on the airshow circuit here in the U.S.

Offline kozhedub

• Zinc Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
Clean'em up, bring'em home, and put them on the airshow circuit here in the U.S.

You could buy functioning -25s for less than it would cost to rebuild one of those.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
No new news.
It's still the fault of the western fault that children of Iraq were starving, since nice uncle Saddam was busy shopping from the Russians....:mad:
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
mental images of some skinny insurgent sitting behind the controls wondering why the hell he is being told to fly this rust bucket instead of something cool like strap bombs to himself.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »
Thats a good one Batty.
When I die bury me in a P38.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:55:20 PM »
I wonder, - did those come with a receipt and a guarantee?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »
Originally posted by kozhedub
You could buy functioning -25s for less than it would cost to rebuild one of those.

Those are fully functioning Mig-25s, they just have some sand on them.  Some don't even have sand in them.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
Those are fully functioning Mig-25s, they just have some sand on them.  Some don't even have sand in them.

It missing the wings.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 04:58:55 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
No new news.
It's still the fault of the western fault that children of Iraq were starving, since nice uncle Saddam was busy shopping from the Russians....:mad:

About 151,000 Iraqis died from violence in the first three years after the United States invaded, concludes the best effort yet to count deaths — one that still may not settle the fierce debate over the war's true toll on civilians and others.

source http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22578010/

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »
Yes a lot of Iraqis have died in Iraq since the US take over...

How many have been killed my Allied soliders though??

My question, why are there always protests about Iraqi deaths on the news but why are they hardly ever mentioned in the US for murders/rapes at home??

"Overall, the number of violent crimes, which also include aggravated assaults and robberies, fell by 1.2 percent last year. Property crimes _ burglaries, larceny/theft and car theft _ dropped 1.1 percent in 2004, compared to 2003.

There were 16,137 murders in the United States in 2004, the last full year for which statistics are available. That was about 350 fewer than in 2003, according to the FBI data. The decrease is the first since 1999, although smaller than what the FBI reported in June. Chicago was largely responsible for the drop, recording 150 fewer murders in 2004 than in 2003.

The number of rapes, however, has increased in three of the past four years, according to the FBI data. In all, rapes increased by .8 percent to 94,635 rapes, or about 750 more than in 2003."

source: Washington Post

Just my 2 cents....
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:11:44 AM »
Originally posted by PanosGR
About 151,000 Iraqis died from violence in the first three years after the United States invaded, concludes the best effort yet to count deaths — one that still may not settle the fierce debate over the war's true toll on civilians and others.

source http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22578010/

IN....

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to hijack the thread.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 09:25:55 AM »
Hey i seen those jets at Taqqadum, and I would like to credit the fact that crimes have  come down in Iraq to the fact that every household is authorized 1 AK-47 rifle to defend themselfs with.
Look at Astralia where they got rid of all personal owned firearms. Their crime rates are up dramatically  and the politicians cant explain why since "there are no more guns there"
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »
Originally posted by doc1kelley
IN....

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to hijack the thread.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1

What else would you expect from someone whose nationality is associated with fudge packing? :)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Migs buried in iraq
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
Originally posted by colmbo
It missing the wings.

Did you even read the article?  Some had the wings removed and then buried, others were fully preserved in plastic and then buried.