Author Topic: Incorporation of A/C Frame Loss...  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Incorporation of A/C Frame Loss...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
Originally posted by republic
To me, the only way to stop the bomb-bailing is for some squads to actually have some semblance of a code of conduct.  It is generally squads that I've seen using that tactic.  We don't need admin rules to cover every tiny thing, we are adults (some of us) and surely we can govern ourselves to some small extent...this being one of them.  Squadleaders should govern their pilots, and admins should guide the squadleaders as to the "spirit of the arena".

Agreed.  We're starting to see some of this.  I've seen TK and Chapel do it, and I understand from these boards that Lute does, too.  Shifty has always been a model.

However:

AvA has always been proud to test new things (as we're seeing now).  A very limited time-out - a minute or so - might just make people think twice before doing something like pork-&-bail.

- oldman

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 08:44:05 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
However:

AvA has always been proud to test new things (as we're seeing now).  A very limited time-out - a minute or so - might just make people think twice before doing something like pork-&-bail.

- oldman
Beware the law of unintended consequences.

You will punish those who are making an honest (if somewhat desperate) attempt at saving a base with a partial cap.  He starts, gets blown up on the runway . . . then has to wait a minute or so before he gets a chance to try again?  Heck, a single vulcher could keep 6-8 people in the tower indefinitely that way.

I don't think this is a good idea at all.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 09:05:02 PM »
Does the game support using perks?

For example, you start with 100 perks in each category.  Ideally getting some each day.  Everything costs at least one perk with the uberest costing the most.  Over the long run wasting lives limits your options.  Perks are pretty easy to earn with the first gen fighters having an eny of 40 or more so unless you are a suicidal monkey you won't have any trouble.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
Beware the law of unintended consequences.

You will punish those who are making an honest (if somewhat desperate) attempt at saving a base with a partial cap.  He starts, gets blown up on the runway . . . then has to wait a minute or so before he gets a chance to try again?  Heck, a single vulcher could keep 6-8 people in the tower indefinitely that way.

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

It might put some kind of a kibosh on vulching, though.

If the vulcher has to wait longer for potential vulches' to pop up on the runway, they might not be either able to swoop down right away, or might have to leave sooner(due to lack of fuel.) However, with the fuel burn on 1.00, quite a few aircraft have plenty of fuel.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
I'm saying he's on their squad and they are doing what he is complaing about. So I'm saying he should start talking in his own backyard.

You should read before you post...I am not complaining about anything, I'm trying to give a suggestion to those who are...

We don't need the admins running around like our nannys making rules to stop people from hurting feelings.  If we start a timer after deaths before we can up, I don't understand how that helps.  You punish everyone to deal with a few miscreants.

If there is a problem, film it, turn it in...end of story.  CO's will admonish squads, Generals will admonish CO's and admins will kick those who don't follow the rules.  Simple.  No one but the offenders are punished.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:47:26 PM by republic »
P-47 pilot

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 10:04:08 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
There something wrong with porking fields? Becuase every time I log on all or dar, troops, ord ect are down and we have to resupplie them. hes talking about the tard who get in bombers climb to 20ft and bomb hangers and such just to then bail out and get more bombers.

I could care less about porking a base. However what they did was run away soon as they did it and wouldn't fight. First time was 2 of them I killed one and the other bailed out of a perfect plane rather than get killed.

Second time, the guy porks a troop barrack then runs all the way back to his base to hide in his ack with me chasing him. He then starting climbing in his ack turns to try to Ho me and ends up with a ram.

So yea I do have a problem with dweebs whom talk smack yet run away.. prior to this Storch was sending me PM's gloating because he got lucky and killed me 2 times when it was 3 vs 1 then 5 vs 1.
"strafing"

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 10:59:02 PM »
strafing, before you opine get out of the spit come down from 20k and actually fight.  until then your opinion is without value.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by heythere
strafing, before you opine get out of the spit come down from 20k and actually fight.  until then your opinion is without value.

I don't quite think I've ever made it to 20k in the AvA arena.. I did go afk and came back at 18k once, but I'll keep shooting for the stars and I'm sure I'll hit 20k some time.

Just because I manage to keep my E in most cases doesn't make me an alt monkey, it means I try to fly smart. However that doesnt' mean I don't get into the action.

This is two films from tonight..

6 kills 3 mins  You will notice I dive into a bunch of red guys at a enemy base and kill 6 of them, leaving alive and able to land my kills. Also notice I had every opportunity to vulch several cons but I stuck to the cons in the air.

Getting my butt owned This one you will see I engage two co alt cons with no one there to help me, with several others cons close by. Two turns into 5 or 6 and I think I did a pretty good job staying alive as long as I did. You will notice not once did I try to HO any of them even though I probably could have taken 1 or 2 out with a quick HO.

Now.. since you want to be a critic, why don't you tell me your real name and then maybe I'll think about giving your opinion a value rank other than troll.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:03:09 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 07:58:29 AM »
dear strafing why not just say, yes I'm usually far above the fight, yes I'm usually in a spitfire and no I do not engage unless I hold all the cards.  there is nothing wrong with the way you play but it is annoying for the other fellow to be constantly picked or your team mates to have hard worked kills snatched from them.  not to worry though sir you are in good company as many others seem to prefer this type of style.  I'm sorry I typed anything about it after all it is your eight quid/fifteen dollars and you are jolly well entitled to do what ever you please with it.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 08:27:37 AM »
Hi folks,
    and now for my 2 cents. i am new to this game and die on a regular and frequent basis, as i have not mastered the learning curve yet. to put a time limit on the dying would mean that i would spend most of my time in the tower. now i know alot of you have much more experience then i do, and its a frustration that people can up 2 seconds after they die, but its a condition of the playing field and you have to kind of work with it.
   when you cap a field do you wait for the guy to get off the runway to slam him or do you just blast him on the ground. the latter makes more sense and if a time limit was enforced, one guy could cap a field indefinitely. not my idea of fun. i get vulched alot when someone is trying to take a field but im the kind of guy thats determined to get in the air, and thank god they're not real bullets. i keep coming back til i get tired of getting vulched, then i run from another airbase. now if there a time limit that would limit my play time, id be better off in the main arena's and thats probably what my entire squad would do. its a game boys and girls remember that.
    now, as for ho'ing and vulching, i asked a friend of mine if indeed they did that in the real war? he said absolutely, they took every advantage they could. they'd nail a me262 on final approach because it was at a very low speed. if they hit a airbase and there was a plane trying to take off, they smoked it. when they attacked pearl harbor, they did the same thing. when you're trying to win, theres no honor as far as im concerned.
    unless they make it a hard and fast rule that ho'ing and vulching is not allowed, its gonna happen, PERIOD. get over it and play the game to the best of your ability and have a good time. We're all in here for the fun. Just rember that. if its not fun, well then its time to find a new hobby, like sheep farming.
     again, just my 2 cents from the new guy--- Gary Davis

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »
I think that this should be a community or squad enforced issue.  I will never hesitate when directed by my superior officer to attack a specific objective, haul troops, or haul supplies, but I take the time to land that plane everytime.  There is no requirement to fight anyone, run if you like.  Just don't bail out of a perfectly good airplane!  It is part of the realism, and part of the fun.  

Oink
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
Originally posted by heythere
dear strafing why not just say, yes I'm usually far above the fight, yes I'm usually in a spitfire and no I do not engage unless I hold all the cards.  there is nothing wrong with the way you play but it is annoying for the other fellow to be constantly picked or your team mates to have hard worked kills snatched from them.  not to worry though sir you are in good company as many others seem to prefer this type of style.  I'm sorry I typed anything about it after all it is your eight quid/fifteen dollars and you are jolly well entitled to do what ever you please with it.

Looks like you are nothing more than a troll, as you are too chicken it seems to post your in game name. So you continue to attack yet are scared to tell me whom is attacking.. go figure. I can only assume I must have killed you several times and you are just a sore loser. :lol

So (sore loser troll) I fly a spit because it's what we have. Allies have only 2 planes with cannons, the Spit9 and the P38G. I'm not really a fan of the F6F  because of the lack of rear visibility and I admit I'm a cannon dweeb.

While I do love the little Huri 1 it's fairly useless trying to kill 4 or 5 190's or 109's that I tend to run into just about every sortie. The Axis planes are pretty tough planes and hard to kill quickly with only .303's. So I tend to fly the spit9, again because it's what we have and it's one of only 2 cannon planes on the Allie side.

Would you rather I fly a p38G or the Jug and BnZ you all day? Would that make you feel less emotional? I can do that if you like, but I suspect you would cry about that too. Maybe I'll just fly a goon around, at least then I guess you could have a chance.

You don't like the spits then whine to the CM's for setting up this frame with them. Personally I'm not a fan of the spits, I tend to fly 190's a lot in the MA but again we have what we have.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:49:24 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
Originally posted by captain1ma
Hi folks,
    and now for my 2 cents. i am new to this game and die on a regular and frequent basis, as i have not mastered the learning curve yet. to put a time limit on the dying would mean that i would spend most of my time in the tower. now i know alot of you have much more experience then i do, and its a frustration that people can up 2 seconds after they die, but its a condition of the playing field and you have to kind of work with it.
   when you cap a field do you wait for the guy to get off the runway to slam him or do you just blast him on the ground. the latter makes more sense and if a time limit was enforced, one guy could cap a field indefinitely. not my idea of fun. i get vulched alot when someone is trying to take a field but im the kind of guy thats determined to get in the air, and thank god they're not real bullets. i keep coming back til i get tired of getting vulched, then i run from another airbase. now if there a time limit that would limit my play time, id be better off in the main arena's and thats probably what my entire squad would do. its a game boys and girls remember that.
    now, as for ho'ing and vulching, i asked a friend of mine if indeed they did that in the real war? he said absolutely, they took every advantage they could. they'd nail a me262 on final approach because it was at a very low speed. if they hit a airbase and there was a plane trying to take off, they smoked it. when they attacked pearl harbor, they did the same thing. when you're trying to win, theres no honor as far as im concerned.
    unless they make it a hard and fast rule that ho'ing and vulching is not allowed, its gonna happen, PERIOD. get over it and play the game to the best of your ability and have a good time. We're all in here for the fun. Just rember that. if its not fun, well then its time to find a new hobby, like sheep farming.
     again, just my 2 cents from the new guy--- Gary Davis

Personally, I like to let them get off the ground to at least give them some sort of sporting chance, granted it's not much of a chance. You can still capture a base with out resulting to pure all out vulching IMO.

Allies did a pretty good job of it when we finally took A57 last night. We had the base capped and I think I only saw one plane get vulched on the runway. Can't say it didn't happen but pretty much all the cons i saw get killed were at least in the air and able to make a evasive turn.

It just really depends on what arena you are flying in. With EW, MW and AvA the player base is small and the plane sets are limited so you don't have a real reason to vulch IMO. I think because of the smaller player base it allows players to give the other guy a bit of a chance.

If in the MA well I'll vulch in a heart beat, simply because 9 times out of 10 if you are capping a field the other team will likely be in LA7's or Nikis and a capped field in the MA can quickly become un-capped because there are so many players online. So vulching in the MA is almost expected if I'm upping at a capped field.

I like to look at the MA is eating at McDonnalds vs AvA,EW,MW as more dining at a 5 star restaurant. The MA is more of the slums so you have to do what you have to do, because if you don't do it to them, they will do it to you.

As for HOing, I try to avoid it if at all possible. You referenced did they do it in WW2.. Yes they did, but it was different in WW2 vs this game. American panes did it because they had a very good chance of winning a HO vs trying to turn fight a zeek. So in a sense they HOed because it gave them a better chance of survival in some fights or situations.

In this game, if you HO it gives you roughly a 50% survival chance, not very good odds IMO. So if you fly with the same attitude they had in WW2 you would be flying to stay alive. In this game with roughly a 50% survival chance I'd say HOing isn't a good tactic and you wont live long doing it.

Besides, HOing not giving you a good survival chance, it's also a bad tactic in most cases. Most decent sticks can avoid a HO fairly easily and then have an advantage on you. When you try to HO, you have to keep flying straight, they start turning early to avoid and will already have a clear advantage on you in most cases.
"strafing"

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ahxarl.com
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 12:07:33 PM »
I'll have agree with strafing on this one:

As for HOing, I try to avoid it if at all possible. You referenced did they do it in WW2.. Yes they did, but it was different in WW2 vs this game. American panes did it because they had a very good chance of winning a HO vs trying to turn fight a zeek. So in a sense they HOed because it gave them a better chance of survival in some fights or situations.

In this game, if you HO it gives you roughly a 50% survival chance, not very good odds IMO. So if you fly with the same attitude they had in WW2 you would be flying to stay alive. In this game with roughly a 50% survival chance I'd say HOing isn't a good tactic and you wont live long doing it.

Besides, HOing not giving you a good survival chance, it's also a bad tactic in most cases. Most decent sticks can avoid a HO fairly easily [/u]and then have an advantage on you. When you try to HO, you have to keep flying straight, they start turning early to avoid and will already have a clear advantage on you in most cases.

It still takes 2 to HO, so if you don't like getting HO'd learn to get out of the way.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
Originally posted by crockett

Allies did a pretty good job of it when we finally took A57 last night. We had the base capped and I think I only saw one plane get vulched on the runway.  

Far more than 1 plane was vulched...but it doesn't really matter.  We don't need rules against it or game mechanics to prohibit it.

The biggest problem right now is the constant complaining.  Both sides are guilty of dweebery, it's up to the CO's and generals to keep their pilots in line.  If they don't, well...that's ok too.  It is a war, and there are other fields to up from.  If it's egregious, the admins will deal with it.

The only real issue was people logging in when no one was on and trying to run the fields.  That has stopped, and that's all the regulations we need.

The war is going well.  I catch myself wanting to log in from time to time just to look at the map and see if we've pushed further south, if the allies have made inroads, etc.

And honestly, as far as the complaint of bombing/dying/ditching...the point could be made that it was a strategy used in war, mostly by the Axis but the Allies as well.  I don't do it, I think it's lame, but it doesn't hurt my feelings when someone does it.  I just shake my head and go on.
P-47 pilot